Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Immodium question
      #7447 - 04/26/03 01:58 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,
Has anyone of you got experience with taking Immodium for cramps rather than D? As I don't seem to get proper D very often I guess I'm rather the pain/discomfort type. Even before taking fibre supplements and meds and on a normal diet the worse I got is very loose stools but only once or twice per day. I do get the terrible D cramps though. Today I had to lie down on the basement floor (I was going to fetch something from the freezer) because I got such heavy cramps but as usual they didn't end up with D.

I was wondering though whether I could still take Immodium to calm down my system when the hypermotility is bad. The other day I tried taking half a capsule and it made quite a difference. Or rather, it changed the symptoms from nausea and urgency to stabbing pain which I found easier to cope with (I was driving my parents to the airport).... Later everything got very calm and I skipped next day's BM and had the best day in weeks followed by a cramp free BM the following day. Do you think it's dangerous taking Immodium in very small doses when you don't acually HAVE D?

Thanks for any advice!

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Immodium question new
      #7477 - 04/26/03 05:09 PM
lisalu

Reged: 04/20/03
Loc: Massachusetts

I would be very careful if I were you about taking Immodium without D. About 5 years ago, I took two in a row, and ended up in the emergency room cuz of the intense pain. They told me it is really only designed for the diarrhea. Maybe other people have had better luck trying that. I'm very sensitive to medicine so maybe it's just me, but just be careful

#7481 - 04/26/03 05:43 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I had it for the first time about 4 or 5 days ago now. I was going to meet my friend and had a dodgy belly so I tried 2. I didn't go to the toilet for 3 days which is unusual as I"m D. However, on the day I did go, I got intense cramping (some of the worse I've had) and I felt that one section of my bowel was like a balloon ready to burst. It felt great to be somewhat normal, but the aftermath wasn't really worth it. ON those 3 days it did relieve the cramps.

#7525 - 04/26/03 11:30 PM
susaloh

tlc,
Thanks so much for replying! I know exactly what you mean, The one and only time I took Immodium before (I actually had D so I took two like it said on the box)) I went through exactly the same. The 'backslash' was terrible. I was on an overnight ferry at the time, it was 3am and I really thought I was gonna die on the floor of that public bathroom deep in the belly of the big ship. I will never never forget! That's why I was so cautious and took only one half of a capsule this time. Maybe it's worth a try in an 'emergency' when we just have to be well for a day or so.

Susaloh

P.S. (tlc) new
      #7526 - 04/26/03 11:35 PM
susaloh

P.S. Isn't it strange how both of us tried the same thing for the same reasons almost simultaneously in a different corner of the world. We tend to think we're so unique but really there must be so many people out there going through the same....
Take care

Susaloh

Re: to susaloh new
      #7531 - 04/27/03 12:59 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Though I am sorry you did go through the same thing I did with the damn backlash, it is reassuring to know we're not alone in this! Would have been very comforting when we did suffer from it at the time! I remember being doubled up in pain, sweating and thinking that it would be a miracle if I one, got off the toilet and two, didn't end up in hospital... I'm going to do what you said also - only take it if I'm absolutely in need of it for a function etc...

It felt so good to feel 'normal' for a few days, but the aftermath was not worth it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review