All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Magnesium questions for Heather or anyone else who can help me out please
      #74363 - 05/28/04 05:14 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I'm taking 333mg of calcium and 501mg magnesium and it helps my severe c, but not enough so I was wondering could I take 250mg more of magnesium since that would help more.
Is there a certain amount of magnesium that people with IBS can only have?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Magnesium questions for Heather or anyone else who can help me out please new
      #74365 - 05/28/04 05:29 PM
ILSA

Reged: 05/10/03

If you suffer from constipation, the best calcium is citrate. The rule is 2:1. If you are taking calcium carbonate, change it because it can aggravate your constipation. I talk from experience.

Re: Magnesium questions for Heather or anyone else who can help me out please new
      #74366 - 05/28/04 05:40 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am also IBS-C, and have been taking a Mg supplement for a little over a month now. I did a lot of research before starting this supplement and much since. The US RDA for an adult that eats a normal diet is only 300mg. So, in supplement form, unless you have some severe health problems, you really are doing more harm than good with mega doses of Mg. The 2:1 ratio recommended here is also highly supported, and the citrate is one of the less expensive, best absorbed types. I am taking a liquid form of this supplement in a 2:1 ration of 600mg calcium and 300mg magnesium. However, I am also up to 4t/day of the acacia, peppermint caps and lots of peppermint tea. I added one supplement at a time, and overall, have almost completely resolved the "C" problem.

Do a google search on magnesium supplements and you will find a lot of really helpful information. You really don't want to take massive doses of it though, because it can really turn out badly. You also need to make sure it doesn't work against any other prescription meds you might be taking as well.

Great supplement, but the 2:1 works well for IBS. Hope you get some relief and are soon feeling much better.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#75048 - 05/31/04 05:22 PM
till

I got a mag/ cal supplement today so I can start taking it tomorrow. Thanks for the info. I hope I feel better soon too since I have very severe IBS which I can't handle.

#75050 - 05/31/04 05:24 PM
till

I had no idea carbonate does that. Thanks so much.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1708 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review