All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
help
      #74337 - 05/28/04 03:35 PM
ac508

Reged: 04/27/04

HI, Im 21 years old and Ive had IBS for two years, recently IVe been trying to be really good about not doing things that upset my stomach, but sometimes I get so frusturated I feel like Im doing everything I can and Im still having this problem, and I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life, Ive been doing the hypnotherapy cds for fify days, Ive just increased my acacia fiber intake to one tbsp before breakfast and one before dinner, I normally exercise at least 2-3x a week I try and follow the eating for IBS diet, but yet the common pattern I find myself reapeating is Ive had the same exact problem, I get up go to the bathroom eat breakfast have dirreahea feel allright, go about my day, and then i feel like I have to go again usually after lunch or dinner, sometimes I feel like I have to go so bad, i go to the toliet and nothing happens, I get so bloated and gassy at night, its horrible, its almost as if my stomach doesn't know what to do with food in it, it feels like it wents it to get out and then nothing, its just bloating and gas, until the next morning, does anyone have any advice or know what Im doing wrong, becuase I try to be calm and listen to my cds, and sometimes it feels like its getting better, but oh my god I get so frusturated sometimes,

Edited by ac508 (05/28/04 03:36 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help new
      #74395 - 05/28/04 07:58 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i totally know what you're talking about here! i had IBS D really badly, but by the end of each day i'd be all bloaty and gross, just like you! and then there's that frustrating sitting there doing nothing thing--- not something we Ders are totally used to, eh?! you know what's even worse: you know how the clothes you put on (and fit in!) in the morning are all the sudden all tight and compressing the heck out of you by evening!? WHAT'S THAT ABOUT!? (especially love when the underwear is even too tight by the end of the day. GEEZ.... like IBS doesn't suck enough, i've got to have scars from my panties!? )

anyway, here are some things that helped me:

• first, as i gradually increased my acacia, this problem got better, so you're on the right track.
  • drink more water. (i know, i know, you think you're drinking enough. drink more!)
  • make sure you're eating enough INsoluble fiber. i used to be scared! it's really important and makes a HUGE difference--- i just posted some hints and reminders about this in another thread on this board--- go check it out.
  • make sure you're not cheating! (go over all of Heather's lists and tips again--- i almost always find SOMEthing i'm doing wrong every time i go through them!)if you're still sneaking cafienne by way of soda or coffee or whatever--- CUT IT OUT! really- it's totally worth it after the withdrawls stop.
  • you've probably read it before, but here it is again: FENNEL TEA. it doesn't make this all go away 100%, but it sure can help. especially with that bloaty, gassy bit.
  • get up and take a walk! i found that walking after work, even just for 7 or 8 minutes really helped. and believe me- i'm LAZY!
  • i'm sad to say this, but i felt a lot better by drastically cutting down my sugar intake. DRAT. that sucks, huh?

hope some of this helps!

(PS: if you noticed, at the beginning of this post i said i "had" IBS-D badly. if it is at all encouraging, i haven't had an attack of D all year - it's May, almost JUNE!- and only had a few bouts of C as a medicine side-effect. you CAN get control of this!)

--------------------

#74444 - 05/29/04 01:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Just adding to Jen's great post...

You are eating TINY meals (well, snacks) aren't you? Just checking...

#74582 - 05/29/04 10:57 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

ac508, welcome to the board! Jen is one of our best advisors so I'll merely second everything she said!

Jen, I didn't realize you've been doing that well for that long. CONGRATULATIONS, girlfriend!! When was your last attack? Mine was Jan 9, so I've made it 4 months and 19 days, but who's counting?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74586 - 05/29/04 11:46 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

I'm not going to add any more advice except to say it's a viscious cycle, the IBS. How ever hard you find it to stop being frustrated, just stop! Let it go. If you're tense all the time, your body thinks it's in an emergency situation and, guess what, you bowels become secondary as far as it's concerned. I've gone weeks being sick when the things that worry me have kept running through my head, or when I didn't take rests and just kept going all day every day. During those times no amount of fiber and water and exercise do a thing to help. I'm glad you have the cds. they help if you completely let go and allow yourself to relax and think of nothing else when you're listening. The imagery is really funny sometimes. I feels silly but it works. I relax and then my problems don't seem as bad. I understand everything is a lot more complex than it sounds, but I believe you can do it. Are you in school? I'm 21 too! School drives me crazy sometimes, but this semester was fine with me. it was moving apartments after school was out that did me in! Nice to meet you. Keep posting - you'll get a lot of support here! I did. I've learned a lot.

And Jen, congratulations, I didn't know it'd been that long either.

*evie

LS new
      #74596 - 05/29/04 12:27 PM
jenX

not really sure, actually, 'cause i don't journal or anything. i know it was just before the holidays that i got really serious about Heather's diet and then after that got my acacia and so forth...

no clue.

don't know when i quit smoking, either! guess i'm not good at stuff like that. then again, if i worry too much about dates and times, i get all demoralized. so i just ignore it!

PS: YAY YOU!!!! i'm so glad you've gone so long. that's totally great news, LS.

--------------------

thanks, Evie dah-ling!!!!! hope you're doing well!? -nt- new
      #74597 - 05/29/04 12:29 PM
jenX

--------------------

#74611 - 05/29/04 02:22 PM
ac508

Reged: 04/27/04

Thanks for the advice, and to everyone else who replied, I think I will try to read over Heathers book again, because I definitley do cheat, sometimes I find it hard to stick to it and still live a flexible life but maybe Im just making excuses!

Re: thanks, Evie dah-ling!!!!! hope you're doing well!? -nt- new
      #74621 - 05/29/04 02:50 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Jen X
I've noticed that about sugat also. If I eat alot I get worse. I was just curious what do you eat as snacks I love graham crackers but I'm sure they are loaded with sugar. Thanks!

Graham Crackers new
      #74624 - 05/29/04 02:59 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hi Catz
I don't mean to butt in (again) but I think Graham Crackers are a really good and safe snack and as far as I know, they are not really loaded with sugar. Actually I think they were mentioned on the list of Snacks, Quick Foods, and Good Grub to Grab in a Hurry so I'm sure they can't be that bad for us! Here is the page: web page

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2465

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review