All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Help. Me. Please. Now.
      #74287 - 05/28/04 01:46 PM
Beth

Reged: 02/17/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Okay, first I will start with the usual scream of *I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!!* Now, on with the real questions. I have been having BAD IBS attacks several times a week since May 5. It started with my period, but that's pretty much finally over since I got a depo shot. But the attacks aren't. I've missed at least a day and a half of work every week this month, and this week I missed a little over two days. I had to send in the FMLA paperwork to my gastro to fill out for HR to make sure I don't lose my job! So WHY won't the attacks stop? I'm not eating anything bad. Hell, I've been living on white rice with occasional applesauce, french bread, and egg whites. It hurts so bloody bad that my back feels like it will never recover, my intestines are in shreds from the cramping, and I'm out of ideas. I've been taking heather's peppermint caps 3 times a day, acacia fiber twice a day, along with various pain relievers. I've had to take way more vicodin than I'd like to because I know it's addictive, but it's the only way to make it through an attack without doing serious harm to myself. I hurt so much. so so much. But beyond that I'm also afraid for my job to some extent. How long will this last? NEVER have I had a series of attacks like this. I just feels like someone is pouring liquid fire down my digestive tract for hours at a time. Eventually I might have a bowel movement, but sometimes not. It just hurts. I want to know how do I make it stop, cuz my brain is going to bad places of physical harm and I want out of that black hole fast. Please help me.

--------------------
Food for thought: the only kind I can digest.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help. Me. Please. Now. new
      #74295 - 05/28/04 02:19 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Beth,
You poor sweetheart, I feel so bad for you. Sometimes I think I have it bad, but I can't even imagine being in that much pain! I wanted to just say Hello, that you have all my sympathy, and that I hope you can find some help on this website. Admittedly, I am pretty new to the advice giving so I can't say too much but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone and we're all here to listen, and try to help!
Are you absolutely sure it's IBS? You've had all the icky tests to rule out something else?
I know how frustrating it is to feel like you are doing everything right (diet, meds, etc) and for it to just not fix things... How long have you been on the diet and taking the peppermint and fiber? It is maybe just not working YET?

I hope that everyone else gives you some help, you aren't alone darling!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#74369 - 05/28/04 05:46 PM
ILSA

Reged: 05/10/03

Is this your first depo shot? I think you should call your ob-gyn and tell him/her what is happening. My IBS symptoms began when I was using the pill. You are also taking pain killers. They could be the cause. If you are feeling a burning pain, call a gastro because it could be an ulcer.

#74370 - 05/28/04 05:50 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The hormones might have kicked things into high gear. The first thing my gastro did was take me off caffeine and bc pills. I agree with what others here have said...with that much pain and no relief, I think I'd give my doc another call and perhaps another visit.

Welcome to the boards! I hope you are feeling better soon! You have come to a great place to find support and help for your IBS.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#74372 - 05/28/04 05:57 PM
Beth

It started when my period started - I was on the pill then. When I got the depo shot my period decreased rapidly after 3 weeks of bleeding. I actually saw my gastro just a couple hours ago. He's frustrated because I won't do everything he tells me to do. So sorry, not drinking 7-up!!! That would hurt SOOOO bad. However, he gave me a script and samples for zelnorm and told me where to call about a pain clinic. I feel like no gastro could truely understand this unless they had it.

--------------------

#74373 - 05/28/04 05:59 PM
Beth

nope, not my first depo shot, and the attack started a good 2-3 weeks before I got the shot. I got the shot in the hopes of stopping the attacks. I just haven't had one in a while, cuz it made me gain weight. But I did some thinking and I'd rather gain back some of the weight I lost than be in this much pain. my sanity is becoming questionable.

--------------------

#74374 - 05/28/04 06:02 PM
Beth

Had 2 lower GIs done, last week they did an ultrasound on all my major organs (came out clean). The blood work showed slightly lowered potassium levels (I've been eating rice for a month, I'm not surprised) and something slightly off in my liver so he wants me to do a barium test on my liver and run some more blood tests. I'll schedule those next week. But yeah, pretty much it's IBS. This is just the IBS from hell - the worst level of hell. Like seriously, if I thought that hell was eternal IBS attacks I'd try a lot harder to be pure, lol. Fire scares me less. I've been on heather's diet for just over 2 years now. I've been diagnosed for 8.

--------------------

Beth, question.... new
      #74375 - 05/28/04 06:03 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

sorry maybe I just cant read properly but are you C or D? Thanks

we'll sure try! new
      #74391 - 05/28/04 07:43 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

am i getting the picture here that you're a C (constipated)?

if so, you're not eating enough insoluble fiber! i know it sounds like a scary thing, but you really need to start adding it in. for example, maybe you can try cutting some veggies really fine and mixing them in with your rice? it's a start! i finely chop carrots and zucchini and put them in- you can toss them in a skillet with a little cannola oil or even just water and stir 'em around 'til they soften. you can also try a bit of fruit mushed into a smoothie. take a stroll through the recipe boards and see if you can find other ways to add veggies slowly but surely. you can try finely chopping some nuts and tossing them in your foods, too. you know, when i'm not feeling like doing insoluble fiber, i'll just chop up some fruit- just a bit- and have that after my soluble fiber dinner to cushion the blow! even if you can only get a few bites in, it's progress!

like i said, it sounds scary, but it's the only way you're going to see some improvement! you've got to add the insoluble fiber--- lots of Cers on the board have taught me that!

reread these sections of the boards for more tips:

INsoluble fiber
Tips and Tricks

and lastly, i pulled this section out specifically (from Heather's FAQ) for you, so you don't have to root around for it:

Quote:

Is it okay to just avoid insoluble fiber foods altogether?
Nope, it's definitely not a good idea to simply eliminate insoluble fiber foods from your diet. Insoluble fiber is found in fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts, and you can tell instantly that these are among the very healthiest foods in the world. If you don't eat them you're setting yourself up for serious long-term health problems.

However, if you have IBS, insoluble fiber is a huge potential trigger, and your colon simply can't handle it if you eat these foods with abandon. You can (and absolutely must) eat insoluble fiber foods, as often and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. This is crucial not just for normal bowel function, but for overall good health. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem.

The number one rule here is: Never eat insoluble fiber alone or on an empty stomach. Always eat it with a larger quantity of soluble fiber, and you will help keep your IBS stable.

The second rule to remember here is that while you should be having lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, make sure you cook, peel, chop, seed, dice, and/or puree most or even all of them. Peeling and seeding fruits and veggies will remove the toughest insoluble fiber altogether. Chopping, cooking, and pureeing will mechanically break down the insoluble fiber in fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts before you eat it, making it much less likely to provoke problems.

If you're just starting to re-incorporate insoluble fiber into your diet, you can do this quite safely without having to be afraid of triggering symptoms. The best way to begin is to blend fresh fruits into smoothies with a bit of soy or rice milk. Use a base of bananas, mangoes, and/or frozen peaches for soluble fiber, and add just a handful of strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and/or pineapple. Blend the drink until totally smooth and you'll really minimize the insoluble fiber. Blend a big pot of well-cooked fresh veggies into soups or sauces, and serve over rice or noodles. This is an especially good way to incorporate greens, which are highly nutritious but also some of the most difficult insoluble fiber veggies for most IBS folks.

It's also helpful to make sure you're already eating as much of the healthiest soluble fiber foods as possible: root veggies (sweet potatoes, pumpkin, beets, rutabagas, carrots, etc.), mangoes, bananas, peeled apples and peeled pears, peeled peaches and apricots, and avocados.

See how do you do with brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat (soba) noodles, corn meal (polenta), quinoa, and barley. These tend to be the best tolerated whole grains for IBS. Try adding in small amounts of well-cooked and pureed beans or lentils as soup or dip additions to your diet. Take this process slowly, and you can actually significantly increase your tolerance of legumes. Your body will produce the enzymes you need to digest bean sugar (raffinose) if you're eating beans on a regular basis. If beans consistently give you problems, try lentils instead, as they're often easier to digest. Finely grinding nuts and adding them to a soluble fiber foundation is an easy and safe way to incorporate another very healthy variety of insoluble fiber. Try adding Beano to all of your insoluble fiber foods, eat these foods in tiny amounts at first, then gradually and consistently increase your quantities.

Try baking easy, low fat quick breads such as zucchini bread, carrot cake, pumpkin bread - this is a terrific (and delicious!) way to add fruits and veggies safely.

Take this whole process slowly and gradually, and remember that if you've been totally avoiding insoluble fiber foods you're going to have to start eating them carefully, and giving your body time to adjust. You will increase your tolerance for these foods and digest them better the more you eat them, as long as you follow the guidelines. It's especially important to emphasize that even people with IBS that is constipation-predominant need to be careful with insoluble fiber foods. Insoluble fiber is terrific for relieving constipation if you have a normal gut. If you have IBS, however, then by definition you do NOT have a normal gut, and insoluble fiber can trigger symptoms and actually exacerbate constipation. No matter what your specific IBS symptoms, you need insoluble fiber for healthy bowel function, so once again, the key here is not to avoid insoluble fiber foods altogether, but to carefully eat as much of them as possible.

OOOH!!! i just re-read that. i forgot all about fruit breads! that's a great source of insoluble fiber! i totally recommend it, especially Heather's banana bread. (i mentally block these kinds of recommendations out 'cause i can't eat wheat--- be grateful that you can!!!! YUM!!!!) mmmmmm...... banana bread....... *sigh*

but i digress...

good luck and keep posting.... and listen, if you feel like you're going into a "dark place" there's no shame in it. that's common for people suffering from chronic illnesses! but if you feel that's what path you're on, you really need to talk to someone and maybe see about getting on some meds to keep you from getting more depressed- it's really important. and hey, some antidepressants can even help ease IBS!

be well.

--------------------

Re: Beth, question.... new
      #74433 - 05/28/04 10:00 PM
Beth

Ah, now there's the rub. I was IBS-D until I changed to heather's diet. now I'm C MOST of the time, though not all, and when I have attacks I usually end up with D (like tonight). I never leave the house without immodium because when I'm doing well sometimes I need to take a dose to keep myself stable. Since I went back on prilosec I have tried to add in some more fruits, but when I got sick my doctor told me to stick with clear liquids. Well I'm sorry by A) no one can do that for a month unless they're anorexic and B) it makes your intestines cramp up. So I eat rice. Rice makes me VERY constipated after a few days. That's why last night I had egg whites and french bread - just hoping to help, lol. But today I got very sick again. I took some immodium and zelnorm and at the moment seem to be hungry and in pain from all the stress on my intestines (yet again), but I'm not having spasms or running to the potty right now *knocks on wood*. So to answer your question, most of the time I'm both, but with heather's diet and my fear of most insoluble fiber I do tend to go days without a bm. I eat stuff like beans when I'm out and order fajitas or whatever, but at home I have a very bland diet. I do eat oatmeal a lot, which has 2 grams of insoluble per serving so that's something. I can also eat brown rice, but I don't keep it in the house. I don't actually cook much, lol. I do love the banana bread as well - I should make that sometime when I can eat again. I really really wanted to try the mac and cheese in the e-mail from a few weeks back, but I got sick just days later and well... I didn't think soy cheese was a good thing to be munching on right now!

--------------------

#74440 - 05/29/04 12:25 AM
Beth

Woo hoo, now we're to the "I might as well have a lower GI done cuz my colon is almost that clean" stage of the night! I'm so bloody hungry, which makes sense considering my stomach and probably most of my digestive tract is completely empty right now. At least I hope it is cuz if I have to spend much more time in the bathroom I'm bringing pillows and a blanket. God I hate how cold I get after an attack of D too. I don't want to take any immodium cuz if this isn't over and I "clog things up" so to speak, then I will just end up with those horrific cramps again until it gives up and pushes everything through. That's how it usually goes. *sings the "I hate my life" song*. Does anyone else ever feel like giving up? If I had the money I would so quit my job and just hide at home forever and ever. How much fun is it to have to share the fact that your intestines are again malfunctioning to your co-workers and that's why you've been in the bathroom for the past 3 hours, that's why you're leaving early, that's why you weren't there yesterday, that's why you have to leave for a test tomorrow... etc. Can't I be one of the normal people for once in my bleeding life?

--------------------

#74442 - 05/29/04 01:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, so you're IBS-A (alternating). This is tricky, but not impossible (I'm A too).

What dose of Immodium are you on? If it ALWAYS makes you C, then it's too high. I was on Immodium for ages (as a preventative) and it really helped me stabilise, but if you're A, it has to be a low dose. If you're only on 1 pill, then get your doctor to prescribe the liquid form (you can then take teeny amounts). And, from personal experience, I would recommend taking it daily for a while as a preventative.

With the C, JenX's given you some great advice on how to eat insoluble fibre. Make sure you do! Just be really careful and follow Heather's guidelines to the letter.

You mentioned a "burning" pain. Could it be an acid problem as well as cramps? I had acid from my mouth to my bum when I was really bad! If so, then peppermint could actually be making it worse. Just a thought... Try drinking really strong Chamomile tea to alternate the peppermint.

Hang in there honey. We'll get you sorted, I promise.

Could you explain the situation to your boss and see about having some longer-term sick leave? I really do know what it's like (I'm in work now feeling like sh*t), but forcing yourself to keep going doesn't help.

Good luck!

Linz

#74448 - 05/29/04 01:48 AM
Beth

I'm thinking about it. I just got the FMLA paperwork filled out today so I may ask her for a week off to "recover." I know that stress can just exacerbate things, and lord knows the fear of going to work and just having to leave again makes it worse. Plus this last month at work has been stressful on all of us. We moved to a new building and did a system conversion which had our files backed up to the heavens. Everyone was expected to work 4 hours overtime per week and here I am missing 16 hours per week... it makes me feel really guilty. I've been crying at the drop of a hat from pure frustration. And now I have D so bad that my colon should seriously be very clean by morning. I just hope I get some sleep tonight. Oh, here is a question for all of you - my gastro gave me samples of "boost" to drink while I can't really eat much. But I read the side lable and it has milk protein in it, but no lactose. he gave me the regular kind and the kind that has a bunch of fruit juice in it. are either of these "safe" to drink? I hate doubting my gastro, but I've known heather longer, lol. She's probably the only reason I managed to graduate college sane. Then she became all famous and doesn't have time to e-mail silly people like me *teasing*. So yeah, is boost a no-no? And how do you tell your gastro that you have more faith in a woman who's not a doctor but has spent her entire life dealing with an issue he knows nothing about but in theory?

--------------------

#74449 - 05/29/04 02:24 AM
Linz

Toughie. I know that I can have a teeny bit of milk protein in stuff when I'm feeling fine, but if I go near it when I'm feeling dodgy, then it makes me worse. Everyone's tolerances are different though.

What is "boost"? Do both have the milk in them?

Telling an unsympathetic GI about Heather will always be hard. But a doctor who isn't interested in learning and isn't interested in what helps their patients doesn't deserve your custom.

Good luck at work!

#74455 - 05/29/04 02:53 AM
Beth

it says it contains milk protein. Beyond that, I dunno exactly. And it's a supplement. They give it to people who can't get all the nutrition they need from solid foods. I guess it's kinda like Ensure.

--------------------

#74457 - 05/29/04 03:35 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

hmmm, sounds like a tricky situation - A seems harder to control with meds than C or D. But I was just wondering because I know Zelnorm is only for those with C, and can cause bad D in some ppl - also since immodium can technically also cause C, aren't they having the opposite effect and therefore no effect?

#74458 - 05/29/04 04:00 AM
Linz

Good point here. Zelnorm is ONLY for people with C and NEVER D. And see my post about Immodium doses and IBS-A.

#74498 - 05/29/04 07:36 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Beth,

I'm so sorry you are going through this horrible suffering.
I wish I could give you some advice that would help but you have me stumped. I will bring up some points, though.

Have you ever had an upper GI done? I remember reading that it felt like fire burning down your intestines. You could have an ulcer. Those are very painful.

My neice had severe pain and D. She had a colonoscopy, they found she had some kind of infection and put her on antibiotics and that took care of it. But, you have had a colonoscopy and nothing showed up. (she also took Vicodin and was constipated from it)

Make sure nothing you are eating or vitamins or gum or mints, etc. has sorbitol. That's a big IBS trigger.

Have you considered changing doctors or do you think your's is doing a good job?

Sorry, but this is all I can come up with but I do think this site will help you work through this and you will get better.

Barbie

--------------------

Rice maybe? new
      #74507 - 05/29/04 07:47 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I know rice is supposed to be IBS safe and probably is for 99% of the people for me personally, it blocks me up every other time I eat it. Just a suggestion, you might want to try to eliminate rice for a while just to see. I get blocked so bad from it, I end up vomiting it up, after like 2-4 hrs. Then my intestines are so sore for a few days afterwards to even touch or walk well.

Ensure is loaded with fat - FYI new
      #74511 - 05/29/04 07:50 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Re: Rice maybe? new
      #74527 - 05/29/04 08:22 AM
Linz

Ringing a change with some pasta and noodles isn't a bad idea.

Vicodin new
      #74529 - 05/29/04 08:24 AM
Linz

Maybe the Vicodin's actualy been making you worse? I know you have to be really careful with these drugs and headaches as taking too many can end up causing headaches.

#75269 - 06/01/04 01:08 PM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

I was a lot like you and was taking acacia, eating nothing but rice, noodles and heather's tea and maybe some chicken.
I finally decided to stop taking the acacia and was immediately relieved of pain. I know it help most people on
this site and I'm not suggesting you quit but I must have been allergic or just can't tolerate guar gum. Hope you find some answers soon...don't give up and get some help from your doctor...lots of drugs out there that can help. I am on Levsin for spasms and miralax for constipation. Good luck, we are all pulling for you

#75383 - 06/01/04 09:16 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Just curious do you take any SFS?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3054 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review