All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diagnosed with Hypoglycemia and need some help
      #74116 - 05/28/04 08:23 AM
Gemini23

Reged: 05/28/04

I just was told by my doctor that I have hypoglycemia. I have very low blood sugar levels, like <33mg 4 hours fasting. I have to change my diet totally, more protein and less carbs. To top this I have chronic constipation. I am on Zelnorm and have found it not to be as useful. I had a colonoscopy two years ago and they found that the right lower part of my colon will not allow discharge to move smoothly through which creates gas and bloating and PAIN! I use to eat high amounts of vegetables, fruits, and whole-wheat grains (like >5gm per slice.) The only vices I have in life are tootsie rolls and pretzels which I have to eliminate. I am not exactly sure what to eat know. My dr. told me to start eating nuts, but since I have started I have been constipated for almost 2 weeks. I have only had small movements and they are normally in the form of nuggets. I am extremely tired and feel horrible from not going to the bathroom. Of course the anxiety of trying to figure out what to eat to prevent diabetes later probably does not help, but all protein? How do I win. Help???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diagnosed with Hypoglycemia and need some help new
      #74447 - 05/29/04 01:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Get your doc to refere you to a nutritionist and take Heather's book along.

Linz took the words right out of my mouth. new
      #74490 - 05/29/04 07:18 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you can't do this one on your own--- too complex and too much of a risk that you will be missing out on nutrients. you need a nutritionist, STAT.

ps: no wonder you're constipated- the nuts are insoluble fiber. make sure you're chopping/mashing 'em up and eating them with soluble fiber to help soften the blow.

i assume you've got a SFS and are following the diet otherwise?

--------------------

Re: Linz took the words right out of my mouth. new
      #76287 - 06/04/04 01:12 PM
Gemini23

Reged: 05/28/04

What type of SFS do you recommend. I just started eating nuts because my dr. and my mom said they were good protein. I do not like nuts, never had. All I know is I am bloated because I have not had a GOOD bowel movement in over two weeks and am tired also. I am basically in hell but with a strong smile on my face! Any help would be great. I did go to a nutrionist and she re-read the food pyramid to me and it was not covered by my insurance so I am not trusting that situation anymore. I am looking for a holistic nutrionist, any suggestions. Thanks for everything

Re: Linz took the words right out of my mouth. new
      #76334 - 06/04/04 04:27 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, sorry to hear the nutritionist wasn't helpful. I'm prone to hypoglycemia due to my fibromyalgia. Here's what I do to keep my blood sugar level stable.

1. Eat something every 2 hours, either a meal or a snack.
2. Try to include a little protein or a little fat or a little insoluble fiber each time I eat.
3. Build my meals and snacks around soluble fiber, including the "white" foods.
4. Adding as much INsoluble fiber as possible while still getting an adequate base of soluble fiber.
5. Avoid sweets of all kinds (except my one square of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate after an IBS-safe meal!).

If you don't like nuts, don't eat them. It's probably your body trying to tell you you're allergic or intolerant of them. I found that out the hard way with canteloupe!

A typical day's menu might be:
Breakfast of cereal, berries and milk (soy or rice if milk bothers you)
Morning snack of safe granola bar (one with some protein and fat in it)
Lunch of peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk
Afternoon snack of 1/2 bagel
Late afternoon snack of pretzels
Dinner of grilled chicken, baked potato with butter (or soy margarine) and asparagus

This gives me enough protein and fat throughout the day to keep the blood sugar stable. Eating every two hours is the key though.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Nuts new
      #76709 - 06/07/04 12:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think nuts are high in insoluble fibre - they don't look mushable, do they?! If you can't tolerate them then DON'T eat them.

Could your doctor recommend a PROPER nutritionist? Or was that it? That's bl**dy useless, isn't it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review