All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
If any of you are still smoking...
      #74036 - 05/27/04 05:59 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

...in addition to it being bad for your IBS, I just read the following from today's news:

On average, the surgeon general said, smokers die 13 years to 14 years before nonsmokers.

Please stop. My 12 year old niece shamed me into stopping several years ago. It's just not worth it.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: If any of you are still smoking... new
      #74038 - 05/27/04 06:01 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

my problem is not me smoking but getting those I luv to stop. *sigh* wish i could

#74071 - 05/27/04 08:37 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Thanks Laura Sue! I have never been a smoker, lost my precious gf to it. My mil and fil are smokers, he is recovering from kidney surgery (removal for cancer). I am fighting a nasty sinus infection from going into thier home daily. Two days ago I stopped going over, sometimes you have to learn to put your health first, if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will.

My husbands family has begged them to quit smoking in the house,atleast. They take severe offense to the suggestion, I quit going in thier house. I digress....gayla

#74086 - 05/28/04 05:10 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Thanks LS!
I am a smoker. For all of you that never smoked, and who want others to quit... just to help you out - it doesn't help people quit smoking when you nag them about it...I had this guy at work who EVERYTIME I smoked had to say something. Either 'that's so disgusting' or 'it's your body!'....finally I started saying things back like 'At least I've never been 300 pounds'(He is a very large man). And - not that I am justifying smoking - but death due to obesity is becoming the number one killer.

All I am saying is that everyone has some kind of addiction - whether it's smoking, drinking, eating, tanning, caffiene, something. Unless you're perfect I guess. But what helps me to quit is when people encourage me. And if I screw up, they don't put me down or say something negative. That just doesn't help..... so if you guys want to help loved ones quit - please don't say negative things to them - just encourage them! All smokers know the facts - we know it's bad for us

I am cutting down smoking week by week and I will be done smoking in 1.5 weeks! It's SO hard, but I have awesome motivation - we are trying to get pregnant next month!

~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#74106 - 05/28/04 07:43 AM
jilltrav

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Cara-Way to go!
I quit smoking 4 weeks ago. I was a 3 packa day smoker- so I know how hard it is. I am so proud of you. Keep it up.
Keep your eye on your goal- pregnancy and dont let anything interfere.

Jill

#74129 - 05/28/04 09:10 AM
LauraSue

Good for you, Cara! When my mom was pregnant with all three of us kids, she stopped smoking. This was long before they knew it caused lung cancer even. But she was a medical technician and it just made sense to her intuitively. Isn't that great? Of course she started again after each of us was born, so that's the trick for you, not to start again. I don't even crave it anymore.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#74130 - 05/28/04 09:11 AM
LauraSue

Good for you Jill!! Keep it up! Four weeks smoke free - AWESOME!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks girls! :) -nt- new
      #74144 - 05/28/04 09:41 AM
Cara4503

--------------------
~Cara~

Jill - new
      #74147 - 05/28/04 09:52 AM
Cara4503

Did you quit cold turkey? I tried the patch once and hated it, it itched my arm! Did your husband smoke too? My husband is an awful influence....but he is trying really hard now too. It's funny the things we have been fighting about, we are both so on edge lately! It'll be nice when that goes away.
Are you saving lots of money?? Congrats on quitting, I know it's extremely hard.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Jill - new
      #74168 - 05/28/04 10:38 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I started quitting last year, when I met my fiance. He HATES it. But I loved it, for the most part. I got IBS and gained ten pounds right after I stopped smoking so I correlate the two. But that's just my personal experience. I still crave and want to smoke, but the hassle of buying them, stinking of them and the fact that I'd have to sleep outside ( ) if fiance ever caught me smoking them deters me from lighting up.

But, boy oh boy, do I ever want to smoke!

Congrats to everyone who has quit and who is trying to quit. IT IS HARD!!!

--------------------
~jules

#74169 - 05/28/04 10:38 AM
jilltrav

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Quit cold turkey. Its the 3rd or 4th time I had tried to quit this year. All the other times- I had only made it 5 or 6 days. This time I put my ciggs on the altar at church- and God took away my urge. I was really blessed.
And yes- my husband still smokes- but he is getting better.

And I loved your response to the fat man- that was hilarious! Why do people feel its just fine to comment on smokers vices- and no one else's?

Jill

#74245 - 05/28/04 12:17 PM
Cara4503

Maybe I should try the altar! Never thought of that. I have prayed for help, though. And I'm sure this will be the last time I have to quit.
I hate that fat man! Haha. He was so mean to everyone. He did weight watchers and lost like 150 pounds, and when he was thinner he would comment to my friend at work (she is overweight) everytime she ate something. He'd say, 'Do you KNOW how many points that is that you're eating?!?!'
Oh I would get SO mad. Now he is fat again, go figure. Everyone has their problems, but I don't nag anyone about them because I understand. And I'm sure not going to sit there and listen to someone critisize me when they are having their own addiction problems!

You rock! Welcome to the boards - and I hope you feel better soon!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#74246 - 05/28/04 12:20 PM
Cara4503

LoL. Yeah it would be MUCH easier if I didn't love smoking!
You're lucky that your fiance hates it, believe me. SO lucky.
I'm not looking forward to the 10 pounds I know I'll gain from suckers.
Congrats on quitting!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review