All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
help - emotional support
      #7399 - 04/25/03 11:56 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

i'm having a horrible time emotionally. even though my symptoms are gradually getting less frequent, i'm still having the hardest time leaving my house. i've missed weeks of school (combined) and i'll be graduating 2 months late at least. i really love being there when i'm there, but I just can't get myself out of bed in the morning, and even when I wkae up on time and get ready, I can't get myself out of the house. I think I've left my house twice this week total, once to check my mail and once to get groceries. I'm just scared and weak and I don't know what to do to break this cycle. I really want to go to school, but something is keeping me from being myself. And it hurts me emotionally because I feel stuck and I don't know how to change this pattern.

what the smack should i do?

beth

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help - emotional support new
      #7402 - 04/26/03 03:13 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Beth honey, I wish I knew what to tell you. Something inside must be "eating at you" besides the IBS. Some good concentrated psycho-analysis on yourself - what do I feel? when do I feel it? what am I afraid of? what do I want from others? It's really good when someone helps you, someone who knows you well enough to say, "You know it seems to me..." I'm in a weird state right now, too, but Mom (mother in law and trusted friend) is helping me work through it all, plus I've actually (imagine??) spent some time talking to my husband about it. But my "stuff" isn't exhibiting itself like yours, while you don't want to leave the house, I want to restrict my eating irrationally. So ridiculous, but really just a symptom, not the real problem. I suspect the same is true of you.

Hugs to you, talk to us to help work out whatever it is, and I'll pray for you too!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#7404 - 04/26/03 04:17 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Beth,

I feel so sorry for your suffering. IBS can be a hard coaster to ride, but you just have to remember that your cycles have to subside some time. Have you talked to a doctor at all on this? Maybe he/she can put you on some kindof medication to at least subside the pain.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7406 - 04/26/03 05:45 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Rachel,

I can fully understand all the emotions that you are going through right now. Suffering from IBS is not only physical stress on the body but emotional stress on the spirit. If you are a physical person I would suggest that you possibly begin walking in place at home or doing stretches, this will help to release any tension you may feel in your limbs. I know what it is like feeling like there is no hope and fearful anxious thoughts.

You must stop and take an inventory of your emotions. Look at them and try to change your mode of thinking. Here is a poem that I wrote a while back when I felt hopeless, please read it over and I do hope it helps:

Please answer my prayer,
Take this worrisome spirit,
Far from my reach,
Let your love stretch far about me,
Send your angels to lend me comfort,
Oh Dear Lord I know you are there.

Dear Lord my God,
Please don't let this worry conquer me,
By faith I know you are in control,
For you are my rock and my foundation,
On you I keep my focus,
For Satan has no foothold,
For I hold to your promises faithfully.

Dear Lord my God,
Your wisdom knows no bound,
Your perfect love drives out my fear,
Your grace helps me accept things I cannot change,
My effort is fruitless because it is your plan,
When chaos ensues remind me of your perfect grace,
Then through that I know that utter peace will be found.

I do not know if you are a Christian, but I had to share this with you Rachel. God bless.

Kyangel

#7410 - 04/26/03 07:13 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I understand where you're coming from. I've been terrified of going to the movies, eating at restaurants, tons of normal everyday activities, but the fear is subsiding. At my worst point, it was hard to get up, and even grocery shopping was intimidating. I've just been forcing myself to do things that make me uncomfortable a little at a time and it's getting tons better. I don't overdo it, because stress is my biggest trigger, but I push the boundries a little more each time.

Hang in there, and remember it could be worse. (I'm 6 years late graduating and still struggling to finish... pathetic!)

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7416 - 04/26/03 08:23 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Beth,
You poor thing! I hope things get better for you soon.
I was where you are a year and half ago. Getting out of bed was diffcult and all I did was sleep. Thank goodness was husband was unemployed at the time because I couldn't take care of my children. Between being sick and dealing with personal issues it took a toal on me emotionally. I approached my Doc. and asked him for an Anit-D. He put me on two different ones in the beginning and now I only take 20 mg. of Paxil a day.
Like Michelle said, take an inventory of what is going on your life and talk to your Doc. about your depression. Couseling is a good idea too. It took eight sessions with a counselor to figure out what was going on and I was able to make changes in my life. I feel so much better!!!
Take care and hugs to you!
Barb

#7510 - 04/26/03 08:22 PM
juniorrachel

thanks to all of you.

i'm really not keen on the idea of taking an anti-depressant, because i always have such horrible reactions to medication. even the lowest dose of bentyl made me woozy. :-/ i have a few bottles of different meds that i've tried for a few weeks and then just couldn't handle anymore. i think that's part of the problem... my meds made me so tired when i started taking them and i'd stay home way too much and now it's become a pattern, even though i don't take them anymore.

also, i have ibs-a, so basically when i have d i don't get enough nutrients absorbed and when i have c my body is tired from the toxins that are supposed to be leaving my body but aren't. so either one drains me out. ugh.

the feelings i have include: frustration, sadness, anxiety, anxiousness (not quite the same as anxiety... more like i feel like i want to do something and can't... like i'm waiting for something, sort of... restlessness), fatigue, low self-esteem, fear, and feelings of failure.

i feel like there is a BIG struggle between my mental and emotional capacities, and what my body will allow me to do. i feel like if i was healthy, i could take on the world, but i'm trapped in my house and wasting away instead. but somehow that still doesn't get me out the front door.

my boyfriend has been AMAZINGLY supportive. but everyone else that i'm close to lives at least a 16 hour drive away. and the poor man has to take all my venting and crying by himself. and i hate doing that to him. i just don't have a group of friends here. i had a few and they moved. and now i'm pretty much alone all the time. and since i'm a social person, it's really not good for me.

i've tried meeting people... i even went to a few different churches (even though i'm not a christian) just to meet some people. and i just didn't click with anyone. i made a few friends at work and then had to leave because of problems between me and my boss. it's just been so hard to make and keep friends, and i haven't had this problem before. it leaves me feeling lonely and frustrated and like i have a very limited amount of outlets for all these emotions.

thanks for listening/reading my extremely long post.

beth

#7514 - 04/26/03 08:36 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey, I'm completely with you. I had just moved to Chicago not half a year before my symptoms got really bad -- sounds a lot like what you're going through -- terrified to leave the house, even to get groceries or other necessities. Thankfully I have a 3-mile drive to work, but even that was exceptionally stressful -- I don't think I could have done it if it was longer.

Going through the whole thing alone was the hardest part of my life (so far) -- my family would call and be supportive, but the distance made things hard. I hadn't become close to anyone at the time so I felt completely isolated. However, things did get better -- I went through about two to three weeks of the worse part, and then several months of pretty bad, but then things almost inperceptibly over time became better. Not to say that everything is awesome, but at least I feel somewhat functional most of the time.

So I guess I'm saying what everyone else is -- just hang in there!! Things will be better with time.

#7515 - 04/26/03 08:38 PM
juniorrachel

thanks! i'm so glad someone has survived this.

beth

#7520 - 04/26/03 10:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Beth,

I am SO SORRY you're going through this *hugs* I also am not to keen on the med thing...I'm a natural gal...so I do a lot of soul searching, talking it out with my husband, and I research. I let out a whole bunch ofstuff tonight with my hubby...it was SO HARD...but I think he has a better understanding of where I'm coming from (always a good thing) I find that sometimes if I talk to him, like someone else suggested talking with someone who knows you well (I htink it was Michelle), I learn a great deal about what's going on inside me.

IBS bings you down...but it makes ya stronger too! There's a saying "G-d only gives us what we can handle". We must be special people if we're being given all this sorrow in life...G-d thinks we can handle a LOT! (I try and tell myself this when things get really bad).

I hope this helps...and please know you're NOT alone! I am also going through an emotional upset...still trying to figure out what's wrong with me...and I used to be very social before IBS took it's toll (I'm working on it)!

Many ((((hugs))) and well wishes....feel better soon......

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review