All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Lexapro - Has anyone tried
      #73408 - 05/25/04 04:57 PM
Ashley

Reged: 05/05/04
Loc: Maryland, USA

it for IBS? My doctor put me on it and I was just wondering if anyone else here has taken it or knows anything about it. I think it's a pretty new antidepressant but my doctor felt it was pretty safe. I am praying it works for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lexapro - Has anyone tried new
      #73411 - 05/25/04 05:12 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you know what the generic drug name is? We don't get the trade names over here and I haven't learnt many yet!

#73593 - 05/26/04 10:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

YEP! I was on it for almost a year. I started with zoloft, that killed my sex drive, went to Wellbutrin, thought that might have been making my c worse so I switched to Lexapro. I stopped it a couple months ago because I am trying to get pregnant. I went about 2.5 months and was MISERABLE! I decided to go back on the Wellbutrin until I get pregnant and try to stop again.

OK, I DID like the Lexapro. Didn't notice any difference in my IBS C with the different drugs. The thing I didn't like about the Lexapro was I found the side effects just AWFUL the first 2-3 weeks started it and again 2-3 weeks stopping it. I didn't have those problems with the other brands of the SSRIs.

how long have you been on it? Have you noticed any side effects? Starting it, I was paranoid, anxious, shakey, sweaty, couldn't concentrate, had a terrible headache, the list goes on. but after 2-3 weeks ALL the side effects went away and I felt pretty good. It didn't "cure" my IBS, I still had tummy problems but it did help keep me more "even" so I could better deal with things. When I stopped it, I thought I was going to die! I had the worst headache for 2 weeks staright (I rarely get headaches, ever!) I crashed so hard, I WANTED to die! And yes, I did taper off it slowly, I weened myself off of it for about a month.

With all that being said, I would still be on it today if I hadn't stopped to get pregnant. When I realized I couldn't go without medication I decided to start back on the Wellbutrin because that one only takes me a couple of days to get used to. I will stop the Wellbutrin when I actually do get pregnant and didn't want to go through the withdrawal of the Lexapro again.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

the drug from hell new
      #73633 - 05/26/04 12:57 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

It was the worst thing in the world- I was nauseous, anxious, dry sweaty, crampy, gaggy, the list goes on. Tried dosing at night, then cut back by half. I felt like it was what I've heard chemo-therapy was like. The bottle itself made me heave...But that's only my side-effects....I'm particulalry drug sensitive and this one obviously wasn't for me...

#73677 - 05/26/04 03:58 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

I'm on lexapro right now as well as wellbutrin.
The first week was frighten/terrible for me. My mind was racing. I couldn't sleep for about a week. I go through chills then fevers. It was hard for me to stay focused while I was driving... I called my Doc. everyday because I that I was having an allergic reaction.
Like my sister said you "Flying high as a kite." I started out with 2.5mg.Then after a week to 5 mg then 7.5 then 10mg. Once I got to about 7.5, i didn't go through all those effects anymore. I'm up to 20mg.
I like lexapro. I have no spasm for my IBS-C. It's actually helping with the "C". One side effect that I don't like is the sexual side effects. I started taking wellbutrin for that problem. So far it's helped. I would suggest starting slow with the lexapro. You should probably start it on a Friday morning, so you have a couple of days before going to work. Or maybe take a few days off, because of the effects. The first night I felt like I was a tv set and someone was changing the channels every second. That happened only once. At work, I couldn't keep up with typing what I thought....I was thinking way ahead of myself. The same with talking to someone. I'm scared about going off of it because I heard you do go through withdraws.
Good Luck!
-CHELA

I just started taking it yesterday. I am also really afraid of the new
      #73694 - 05/26/04 04:54 PM
Ashley

side effects it might cause. My doctor said the same thing like you that after 2 weeks the side effects go away. Thanks, Michele for your help

Oh, that doesn' t sound like fun! I just started taking it, I hope new
      #73695 - 05/26/04 04:57 PM
Ashley

I do ok with it. I really need something to help me relax.

This is good news. It gives me hope. new
      #73696 - 05/26/04 05:00 PM
Ashley

My doctor seemed very happy with this drug and said that the side effects usually go away after two weeks. Thanks for your help

I don't know the generic name but I will try to find out. -nt- new
      #73698 - 05/26/04 05:01 PM
Ashley

Lexapro new
      #73699 - 05/26/04 05:01 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

now, i have a different experience. i was on Lexapro for a while, put on it for IBS. i don't know that it helped with the IBS, but certainly i didn't have the horrible side effects that others are talking about...

i know that doesn't help you about the IBS, but maybe it helps to hear that there are people out there who weren't suffering terribly from the drug itself.... and the theory about SSRIs and other antidepressants helping with IBS is sound, i think it's just very difficult to find the right drug for each person...

good luck!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review