All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acupuncture?
      #73401 - 05/25/04 04:36 PM
Carol D.

Reged: 03/26/04

Hi,

Has anyone from this group actually had success w/acupuncture?

Also, I gather that everyone takes a fiber supplement and that this is a must. Am I correct in assuming that this is the only to get regular?

Thanks to everyone,
Carol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Stuff new
      #73413 - 05/25/04 05:14 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I find the SFS helps with all symptoms - cramps, bloating, D, C... Starting taking one made a huge difference to my IBS.

Heard good stories of Acupuncture (esp. if you're C I think) but I haven't got round to trying it yet. Yet ANOTHER thing on my list of things to do once I've have some time to catch my breath!

Re: Acupuncture? new
      #73456 - 05/25/04 07:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

No, but it's something I've been thinking of trying too. I certainly don't like the thought of all those needles... but at this point I have more faith in alterantive therapies than traditional medicines!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#73457 - 05/25/04 07:56 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

I've tried acupuncture and have found it to be relaxing, but not enough by itself to relieve IBS symptoms. The diet and hypnosis seem to have had a greater effect, but I'm still getting acupuncture 1 time a week, hoping that the combination of things will help.

It really doesn't hurt at all -- the needles are very tiny. I pictured a porcupine before I went, but they only use a small number of strategically placed needles. Make sure your acupuncturist is safe/certified.

#73530 - 05/26/04 07:58 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Carol,
although I was never officially diagnosed with IBS-C, I did have a lot of the symptoms, and went to an accupuncturist because I was desperate, but wanted to try altnerative medicine rather than Western. I have also changed my diet to eat as natural as possible (I do eat processed foods now and then, usually in the form of store bought cakes and other sweets), but anyway, other than that I try to avoid things that list more than 5 ingredients, esp. if 4 of them sound like something you'd learn in chemistry class
Anyway, my accupuncturist started allergy testing to see what foods/nutrients I might be allergic to, he used the N.A.E.T. system, where he tests you for a given allergen, and if you test positive, he treats you right away. He was also doing accu for constipation, and after 2 treatments for the C, I was becoming regular. I also take acacia, but only once a day, half a teaspoon. And for the past 3-4 months now I have had daily BM, which still surprises me
I do believe that it's a combination of things that have helped me, and it takes of course some discipline on my part to eat healthy, and treat my body with more respect. I eat pretty much anything that I want to... lots of fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, fats, etc. A lot of the things that I eat now, I could not eat without having bloating and cramps ALL afternoon and evening before. So I do believe that it can help. If you want more info, feel free to email me at nickyvb@yahoo.com. There are a few things you need to look for when searching for an accupuncturist, so I can give you some pointers there.
All I can say is that it has helped me, I feel like a normal person now! And it's a great feeling!!
Hope this helps!

--------------------
nicky

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1786 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review