All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Spoke to my doc...still scared to eat...
      #7335 - 04/25/03 03:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Scared to eat Part Deux...

So, the doc just told me to switch to equalactin (my suggestion, not his...actuall, it was Heather's suggestion!), and to take senakot with it if the equalactin doesn't help. (Senakot is a vegetable laxative). He doesn't think I could have anything other than IBS. He says a sensativity to vinegar, mustard, honey, bread, etc. can be IBS related. He also said "It sounds like eating anything right now bothers you...that can be IBS." He told me to keep eating plain potatoes and chicken with my homemade tomato sauce, gave me no advice (said my walking plan was good), and that's that. He doesn't know what to do for me...the meds haven't made an impact (benetyl, dicyclomine, zelnorm, and robinul forte), and I'm doing all the right stuff...so he doesn't seem to have any other ideas. Is it time to switch doctors, is this IBS and/or something else, do I just get to live like this untl for some unkown reason I get better? I'm so confused! I don't know where to turn...well, I'm turning here...but you know what I mean!!!

Maybe the docs right...it's all IBS related, I'm doing all the right stuff, and it will just take months before I feel better? Does anyone know if my symptoms indicate something other than IBS or an addition to it?

I had a colonoscopy recently, an endoscopy several years ago (results were hiatel hernia), and a test for celiac which came back negative. I hope I haven't left any important info. out!

Thanks everyone...I hope I'm not being a pain! Have a happy Friday everyone...hope it's fun!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spoke to my doc...still scared to eat... new
      #7349 - 04/25/03 04:18 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Ruchie dahlink - why are you eating tomato sauce with all that pain??? Leave it alone until you're feeling better. Just an idea...FWIW!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7373 - 04/25/03 06:25 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

It's your right as a patient to seek a second opinion. If you do not feel the doc has exhausted all efforts to make your diagnosis then feel free. I would, in fact I am thinking of switching GI doc's for the third time. I am still trying to find that one that will listen to me.

((((((hugs))))) Hope you can eat something good soon!

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7374 - 04/25/03 06:42 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Hi Ruchie - Sorry to hear that eating is still so difficult! Do you try to think about the HT during the day - deep breathing, imagining yourself "throwing away packages", being in the calming light... I do and find it helps. Can you eat rice for a bit of variety?? It is so hard when the IBS flares and it sounds like you are in a "flare" more often than not! Sorry, and know that we're thinking of you!
Andie

#7375 - 04/25/03 06:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You are NEVER a pain so don't worry about that. Have you asked your doc about other things like things Heather has mentioned that mimic IBS symptoms? I'm just taking a stab in the dark here. I was scared to eat too, and was down to potatoes, rice and chicken. So I know where you are right now. It sounds like you are pretty upset - which doesn't help digestion at all. Have you tried some relaxation techniques? Yoga? You may be surprised. I'm not saying that it's a cure - but it may help. Hang in there. And make yourself some herbal tea. Take time for yourself and do things that you find relaxing. Hugs.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Ruchie new
      #7386 - 04/25/03 08:12 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Ruchie,
Sounds like you're doing everything you can to help yourself. Keep perservering with it all, I have a feeling you are in one of those periods where everything makes it flare no matter how hard you try. Unfortunately I think this IBS will always be an up and down thing.

Take heart, you're not alone. Keep positive, there's every chance you will have great success with the HT as so many others have.

Your symptoms do sound like IBS(very similiar to mine in fact) and I think the tests you have had probably rule out other things but if you are not satisfied then I would pursue it. I think an important part of dealing with IBS is accepting it and that is very hard. It's important to go down all those other avenues because it's hard to manage it if you haven't accepted it yet.

I still have days where I wish they had found something in all my testing so that I could be "well" again. I think we all do.

Life is hard and we can only do our best. I think you're doing a wonderful job of it. Some of your positive posts have inspired me when I've been down that's for sure.

Be thinking of you,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Edited by KinOz (04/25/03 08:13 PM)

Re: Ruchie new
      #7400 - 04/26/03 03:07 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Ruchie honey, I SOOO understand. This isn't advice so much as a heads-up, please be aware than the longer you go "not eating" or barely eating becuase you're worried about all this, the worse it gets and the harder it is to get back to normal. I am not back to normal YET and I'm still losing weight and it's becoming a problem. The Dr and his medicines have been very little help - I'm not sure what the answer is for me but I will pray for YOU AND me that we will relax, enjoy food, and get back to some semblance of a normal diet! Hugs!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#7418 - 04/26/03 08:35 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ruchie I second Sharon. Why are you tomato sauce? Your poor tummy must hate the sauce. Without Nexium I can not eat anything with tomatos in it.
It wouldn't hurt to switch Doctors. I like my Gastro., but I switched primary Doctors and I like my new Doc. a lot better.
Hugs to you!!
Barb

Re: Spoke to my doc...still scared to eat...Han new
      #7482 - 04/26/03 06:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thank you SO MUCH *hugs* I asked my doc. about other things...he aid nope...I'm going on the celiac diet and I'll let you know if that helps (I drink tea every day, and I'm doing hypnotherapy...I LOVE both!!!) Thakns so much Han...

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Spoke to my doc...still scared to eat...Andie new
      #7483 - 04/26/03 06:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

A million thanks! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review