All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Weight Gain and IBS - HELP!!!
      #731 - 02/12/03 10:43 AM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Hello Group!

How many of you are finding you are gaining weight as a result of IBS and the IBS correct way of eating? I feel awful lately, retaining water too. Anyone else out there dealing with this problem, and if so, what are you doing to cut down on the weight gain?

Thanks,

Olgis

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Gain and IBS - HELP!!! new
      #743 - 02/12/03 12:15 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thank you for your ideas on my posts....
as far as weight gain...I haven't heard of that problem with this way of eating. How much exercise are you getting and what kind? I would suggest walking. I just started back on my walking routine today on my lunch break...but, with it being winter it's hard to get motivated. So, I drove to the mall and tried to walk a lap around the inside...needless to say, my insides started rumbling and I had to cut it short. But, I know that the more I walk the better I feel so I will just continue and try to walk farther every day.

Good luck.

#751 - 02/12/03 01:49 PM
welma72

Reged: 02/12/03

me to.....help

#753 - 02/12/03 02:19 PM
firstcav

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: QUEENS NEW YORK

I had some symtons of IBS,I CHANGED MY DIET ESPECIALLY INSOLUABLE FIBER. MY STOMACH IS MUCH BETTER WITH A LITTLE WEIGHT GAIN MAYBE IlB U HAVE TO EXERCISE ESPECIALLY WALKING

#763 - 02/12/03 05:32 PM
Jane

Reged: 01/29/03

Hi Olgis,
A couple questions...are you IBS-C or -D? And how much weight gain are you talking about? Are you overweight now?

I am IBS-D, and one would think I would be SKINNY by now, but I have put on a few pounds by following the diet. First off, I had recently recovered from an eating disorder when I developed IBS, so weight gain was natural. But also, I find it VERY easy to overeat mashed potatoes and pasta, which are two of my main staples.

I am not currently overweight (size 8), but I am bigger than I would like to be. However, I find that my body is comfortable at this weight. It is a big struggle for me to weigh any less because it requires me to either starve all day, or eat large quantities of foods I can't tolerate...and I DO watch my portions and work out daily. I don't know if this is relevant to your situation or not, but I hope it helps!
Jane

#795 - 02/12/03 08:46 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

yeah i've noticed i've gained a little weight. but i blame this on myself for not exercising more. i think if i was exercising i'd probably be losing weight instead. in college i walked everywhere, but since i moved i drive everywhere instead. i'm hoping to start swimming soon when it warms up some. i'm like you, i tend to overeat pasta. mmm love it. ;-)

beth

Jane - similar situation new
      #811 - 02/13/03 05:43 AM
Claire

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Paris, France

Jane,
I would be interested to hear more about your experience since it seems almost identical to mine.
I too 'developed' IBS-D after having gone through a 7 year period of anorexia (age 17/18 until 24/25 - it's hard to know exactly when it started and improved and I think it will always be there in times of stress). I would be interested to hear if you think your IBS is very much linked to your anorexia - that is, if the mind-gut aspect involved in IBS is predominant in your case.
Personally, I really don't know with regard to my own case. Sometimes I sway more towards the theory that I have some unknown bacteria or parasite which is upsetting the digestive flora and this explanation really depresses me as it makes me feel sort of dirty inside. On the other hand , I often tend to believe that I have completely confused the relation between the brain and gut and it is just a matter of time before it settles down. The idea that I may have food intolernece really really depresses me as, after years of depreiving myself I have lost that guilt feeling that went with anorexia and to think that I will have to deprive myself again of some of my favourite foods (bread, gluten cereals, milk, etc etc) is so frustrating. Have you had loads of tests? Where are you at now?
Heather's diet has been an absolute godsend as it has taken the fear out of eating normal foods which I had avoided for fear of diarrhea attacks. I just have to try and stop myself from reading info on such things as candida and "leaky gut syndrome" which then put the fear back into eating a good old slice of white bread.

Well, I will sign of there as my baby has just woken up.

I look forward to your reply and that of anyone else who may be able to share their experiences.

Claire

#814 - 02/13/03 06:13 AM
AngieC

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: southern Illinois

Yes, this happened to me, too. I felt it was from drinking Citrucel twice daily, but I'm not positive about that.
I just feel bloated often. I exercize every day, between 30 - 45 minutes, which I hope helps. I welcome
any suggestions from others.

#852 - 02/13/03 07:11 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

i too had anorexia for a while before my IBS started. from ages 14-16 or so i was anorexic, and starting when i was 17 i think was when i started having IBS symptoms... maybe there is a connection?

Beth

Hi Claire! new
      #925 - 02/15/03 10:00 AM
Jane

Claire, I'm sorry it took me a couple days to reply, I haven't had a chance to check this board since my post that you replied to!

I don't think there's any way my IBS is not related to my eating disorder. I developed the symptoms just four months after my recovery. I was seeing a nutritionist at the time, and she thought I had a specific food allergy, but we worked on that for quite a while and couldn't pinpoint anything. Meanwhile, she had me go to my doctor in case I had colon cancer or something more serious...which fortunately was not the case. My doctor did run several tests, none of which were pleasant, but all of which turned out negative. She then diagnosed me with IBS and advised me to follow a diet very similar to Heathers, and told me to call her if my symptoms didn't improve. They did, dramatically, so her conclusion is that I have IBS.

I, too, sometimes read about other similar disorders and freak out. But don't most of these require a prescription drug to manage? The fact that I can control my symptoms with diet and exercise alone gives me the comfort (if you can call it that!) that what I have is IBS and not something more severe.

It depresses me too that after years of avoiding certain foods because of fear of becoming fat, now I have to avoid them for fear of an attack. It seems like it's not fair. Please feel free to email or PM me if you want to talk about this. It seems like we have a lot in common, and we could help each other out! (or at the very lease, relate to each other's struggles!)
Take care,
Jane

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 692 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9737

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review