All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
snacks with no soy-no dairy
      #72339 - 05/22/04 04:28 AM
Rocketqueen

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Montréal

Hi, I'm triing to find ideas of snacks that contains a bit of protein. I suffer from hypoglycemia and I feel dizzy if I only eat carbohydrates. I need small amount of protein to make my blood sugar stable.

I don't eat dairy producst. Therefore, I swithched to soy (soy yogourt, milk, cheese,...). And now, I have doubts. i'm not sure that I can't tolerate soy products. I think of triing 1 week with no soy products to see how I feel. AND i'm going to slowly include them after.

Do you have ideas of snacks that contain protein and no added sugar (that makes my hypoglycemia worse)? I looked on the site and many snack's ideas don't include protein.

The only snacks (dairy- and soy-free) that I can think of are: brown rice protein supplement, almond milk, hummus and nut butter (almond, cashews,...).
Byebye

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: snacks with no soy-no dairy new
      #72346 - 05/22/04 05:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do you eat chicken or fish? I have tuna rolls quite a lot. Or if you're veggies, can you get hold of a meat-substitute like Quorn that you could put in sandwiches?

#72355 - 05/22/04 06:56 AM
Rocketqueen

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Montréal

Yes I eat chicken and fish (mostly with my meals). I don't feel like eating them as a snack.

For the meat-substitute: here in Canada (Montreal), I never found them without gluten. I'm on a gluten-free diet.

So it's not easy for me to find snacks ideas that are dairy-, gluten, and soy-free.

Be very careful with Quorn new
      #72367 - 05/22/04 07:43 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

The Los Angeles Times had an article about two months ago about Quorn making many people sick with vomitting and diarreah. I couldn't find a copy of that article but here are some other websites warning against consumption.

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/victims.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/12/health/main518353.shtml

http://www.cspinet.org/new/quornpr_050102.html

Sounds like it causes a lot of digestive problems in people who aren't normally sensitive so I think I would avoid it.

Leigh

Re: Be very careful with Quorn new
      #72380 - 05/22/04 08:15 AM
Linz

Weird! I've been eating it for years and have NEVER had a problem. And my MIL-to-be eats it too (but then, she has an iron stomach!).

#72381 - 05/22/04 08:17 AM
Linz

Sounds like some people are allergic to it like with nuts.

twitchy americans new
      #72388 - 05/22/04 09:53 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

ok, i am torn on the Quorn subject. (that almost rhymed!)

one of the biggest detractors on the Quorn thing here in the states is a guy (the name escapes me, but this is his group -Center for Science in the Public Interest- that is referenced on these sites) who is basically America's diet police. he has launched numerous vendettas against other foods and diets, and many of his group's arguments are often disproven. mostly what they do is contribute to hysteria and fuel panic in the US consumers who don't read other sources of info about CSPI's battle du jour. (examples: he has launched PR campaigns against vending machines and against fast food establishments, both of which i think sell the intelligence of Americans quite a bit short. it's not the vending machine's fault nor the fast food restaurant's diabolical plot to make you fat and have a heart attack. Americans need to learn self-control and responsibility to combat obesity and stop launching attacks against corporations when they need to deal with their own behaviors! - obviously, this is just my opinion!)

Quorn is used all over England & Europe (1 article i read said it is Europe and England's #1 meat replacement. that's saying a lot!), and has been for years, with no reported deaths or major complaints, from what i've read, though i do see the reports the CSPI has put on the first link and obviously many of those people are from England.

i'm going to agree with Linz and say it's probable that some people are allergic to mycoprotein and therefore have reactions to it.

i've eaten it on several occasions with no problems at all, but have been kinda creeped out since i read what mycoprotein is..... however, i don't know that this will stop me from eating it again in the future.

i guess you're right: be careful with it. if you notice stomach problems resulting from eating Quorn, you should keep careful eye on your hydration levels to make sure you avoid passing out!

--------------------

Re: twitchy americans new
      #72418 - 05/22/04 11:07 AM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

Quote:

ok, i am torn on the Quorn subject. (that almost rhymed!)

Honestly, that just made me laugh really hard. Ouch. fingers starting to hurt (not from laughing from typing). Thanks for the laugh!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

#72433 - 05/22/04 12:39 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

You know, they had all of those articles out when the products first came out in England as well. I've never had any problems eating the stuff at all, nor did anyone else I know in England. I think part of it was people freaking out about Mycoprotein.

I would say try it and see what happens.

#72457 - 05/22/04 02:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

My favorite is rice cakes with nut butter.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4331 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review