All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Do You Get Enough Sleep??!! Yeah, YOU!!
      #71974 - 05/20/04 12:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Okay, one of the triggers for IBS is fatigue and stress, right? And one of the best ways to reduce fatigue and stress is to make sure you are getting enough sleep every night. Did you know that more than half the adults in this country are chronically sleep deprived?

There's a real easy way to test for sleep deprivation. It was in the NY Times. If you lie down in a darkened room during the day and fall asleep within 15 minutes, you're sleep deprived and should make every effort to get more sleep every night or there will be long term consequences for your health, as well as short term consequences for your IBS.

Most adults THINK they only need six or seven hours of sleep. Studies have proven that most adults actually need EIGHT OR NINE HOURS of sleep a night. I bet each one of you a dollar that you're not getting enough sleep to stay healthy. Take the test. Prove me wrong and I'll pay up in Vegas.

I know it's not easy. But neither is sitting on the pot with IBS or having your health collapse when you're fifty with some chronic stress-related illness.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES, DAMMIT!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do You Get Enough Sleep??!! Yeah, YOU!! new
      #71980 - 05/20/04 01:24 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yeah I THINK I do..... we are always in bed by 10-11pm watch the 1st part of the news (on at both 10 & 11 where we live).... and the TV shuts off automatically. So, unless "something else" keeps me awake .... I'm out ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz by either 10:30 or 11:30pm and Shane wakes me up at 6:40am

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Do You Get Enough Sleep??!! I WISH!!!!!! new
      #71983 - 05/20/04 01:41 PM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

My sleeping is so bad that I look forward to Friday and Saturday night so that I can take a sleep aid just to sleep until 7:00 am.

I usually fall asleep about 9:30-10:00 and wake up about 3:30 am (my hubby comes home at 3:00 am). I can't fall back asleep once I'm awake. I don't wake up intentionally but can't seem to get out of that vicious cycle!

Oh well, someday I'll learn to sleep in!

Barbara

#72000 - 05/20/04 03:43 PM
LauraSue

So prove it! Test yourself this weekend. If you fall asleep in 15 minutes, then you shouldn't be watching the news!! But that "something else" keeps us healthy too.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Do You Get Enough Sleep??!! I WISH!!!!!! new
      #72001 - 05/20/04 03:46 PM
LauraSue

Barbara, next time you wake up at 3:30 am, try taking one Benadryl or the equivalent to get back to sleep. That might help you break out of that vicious cycle!! Sweet dreams!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#72006 - 05/20/04 03:56 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

You know I don't get enough sleep! I was doing pretty well in the winter and then it gets bad around the end of the semester. But I get PLENTY of sleep in the summer However, my grad committee chair told me that I had probably been sleep deprived since childhood, or at least high school, and so no wonder I can sleep for 9-10hrs on nightly basis for months on end. (Yeah, she's opinionated and blunt. I made the mistake of yawning in seminar at 9am ). So, I wish she would just let me sleep that much, darn it! Instead of demanding so many things from me all at once...grumble grumble.

--------------------
--Julie

#72008 - 05/20/04 04:13 PM
LauraSue

Yep, high school is exactly when it starts!! (And I just answered your other post in the living room, sweetie.)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

do I get enough sleep!? that's a riot!!! ROTFLMBO! hee hee hee.... "get enough sleep...." -nt- new
      #72042 - 05/20/04 07:56 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

#72055 - 05/20/04 09:43 PM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

You are so right. Sleep is very important for EVERYONE! The test you are speaking of is actually quite reputable. It's called the MSLT (mean sleep latency test) and as the name implies you should actually take a few readings. Perhaps stretch them out over a few different times of day over a few days. I know if I don't get my much needed 8-9 hours my tummy gets angry! It is now my #1 priority and I am doing much better!

#72091 - 05/21/04 06:11 AM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

Wow! REally good to know. I recall hearing something a few months ago that too much was bad, but that was the first I heard of that and kinda ignored it. Especially for up IBSers, I think more sleep is perfect. Sleeping almost always relaxes my gut.
I think I get at least 7-8 hours. I usually fall asleep around 11pm (sometimes earlier) and wake up around 7-7:30am-unless I get a D attack...that night is usually gonna be sporadic and not a full night's rest.
So i think I'm ok in that area. Thanks for sharing the info.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1715 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review