All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Calling all WALKERS
      #7157 - 04/25/03 05:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I used to be a runner back in the day before my knees decided it wasn't working out for us So now I've decided to make walking my new sport! My short term goal is to walk 3 miles in 30 min...almost there...my long term goal is to walk a half marathon (13.1). Has anyone ever walked a half marathon before? What steps should I take in between my short term goal to get to my long term goal? (What should my next stpe be? Should I try to go faster, 3 miles in 25 minutes, or should I work on going 4 miles for distance and the speed will improve automatically)? Does anyone have any advice for good walking sneaks with good ankle support? Any walking advice anyone has would be GREATLY appreciated!

Happy Friday everyone!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calling all WALKERS new
      #7170 - 04/25/03 05:57 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

First of all I wouldn't try such a goal unless you are in good shape, you could aggravate your IBS more than you know if you overdo yourself. So far as sneakers, I usually buy Dr. Scholl's sneakers with the gell pack in the sole so you will have comfort and support. I love those sneakers so much I buy 2 of them at once incase my old ones wear out I have another pair

#7172 - 04/25/03 06:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the info. I think I'm in good shape...but I guess there's a criteria for that? Any clues? Thanks again!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7184 - 04/25/03 06:23 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I used to walk 5.5k's a night until I"ve become a little lazy and overworked (tsk tsk). However, what I was going to say is that you would really benefit from going to your local gym, getting a trainer to run some tests (eg fat tests, criteria) etc to work out a program for you that will prep you for the mini marathon. This way you can be assured that you've covered all basis and at a level that suits you.

#7189 - 04/25/03 06:31 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Yup. It is always best to go to your doctor or whomever to get professional advice so that you don't go over your heart rate and so forth.

Re: Calling all WALKERS - shoes new
      #7398 - 04/25/03 11:51 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

New Balance makes great shoes. I would suggest going to a nice athletic shoe store and asking for help there, because they'll know all the new styles and what's best for ankle support and arch support walking vs. running, etc. But I fell in love with New Balance when I worked at a shoe store a few years ago.

Beth

#7544 - 04/27/03 05:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

Beth,

Thanks SO MUCH! There's so many shoes out there...I need something that will be good for my feet...and my wallet! My hubby and I plan to move next year...and it's gonna take a HUGE financial toll...and most shoes I've seen are $75! (I can afford $0 but I gotta support my feet...so I'm hoping for $40 max). Wish me luck..I'll keeo you posted!

P.S. I hope you're feeling better today *hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7629 - 04/27/03 07:46 PM
juniorrachel

Ruchie,

Yeah, I know what you mean about shoes being expensive. I couldn't believe what some people were willing to pay for shoes when I worked at that store. Hopefully you can find some on sale.

If you have little feet like I do (size 6 or smaller) you might want to try out the kids' section and try on the biggest size they have (usually a 4 or 5). Often the sizes overlap... I can fit in a 6 or a 3! And kids shoes are cute AND cheap.

Otherwise, there's always the sale rack!

Good luck.

Beth

P.S. I'm doing okay today. Thanks. Hope things are good for you, too.

#7667 - 04/28/03 09:39 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi Ruchie,

Everybody here has had great advice. I know about the budget issues of starting up a new sport, so I'd like to suggest you go to your local library and ask them to help you find books on interval training and race walking. That would be the first place I'd look.

I also concur with kyangel about going to your doctor first, but I'd do it for your knees. The kind of shoe you end up with should take into consideration your walking style and whether your feet roll out or in. Your doctor (or if needed, a podiatrist) will be able to evaluate your feet and recommend a shoe type for you. I know you're on a budget, but please don't skimp on your shoes, especially if you have knee trouble. Nothing will put an end to your hobby faster than pain. AND YOU DESERVE GOOD SHOES.

I'm impressed by your time if you're almost at 3 miles/30 min, btw! I'm not a race walker, but I'm a backpacker. Last summer I did the Timberline Trail in Oregon (42 miles) over several days with my husband. It usually takes me 45 minutes to do 3 miles on the flat, unloaded. I'd say you're in shape ;-). I might even say you're a goddess.

sperry_twiggins

#7759 - 04/28/03 07:20 PM
juniorrachel

oooh, a goddess!! (mental note: must work up to "goddess" level of fitness eventually )

beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4551 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review