All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Quote to consider...
      #7142 - 04/24/03 10:49 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hey all... I was in one of my engineering classes (and no, I'm not going to bore you with any of the details, lol), but one of my profs put up a quote that really struck a note with me....as I'm sure it will with a few of you fellow IBSers. I know we had a string early on about how many of us tend to be perfectionists, and how it sometimes rules our lives. On everything, I have to work out every last detail to make sure its perfect....and alot of the time, I get so exhausted just thinking about how perfect the task at hand will have to be, that I don't even want to start it! Ack!

But anyhow, to the quote:
"Great is the enemy of good." -Andy Grove

Grove was past chairman and CEO of Intel, and as you can imagine in the computer world, you have to keep making better and faster chips all the time....and if you waste your time trying to make it "perfect" or the best it could possibly be, some other company might have already marketed your product and stole your thunder.

So now, as finals approach and many a project/report is due, I keep telling myself to BREATHE, and that great is the evil of good...and that its better that I survive and make something good, rather than die trying to make it perfect!

Good luck to everyone else with finals approaching...and to anyone else dealing with stressful times. We all know how stress can wreak havoc on our IBS sensitive systems!

-chemegurrl

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quote to consider... new
      #7153 - 04/25/03 04:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Chemegurrl,

Thanks SO MUCH for that awesome quote! What a great way to start my day off this morning! I am TOTALY a perfectionist down to the last detail...and that quote definately gave me something to think about!

When are your finals? I hope they go well for you! Best of luck, and let us know how it all goes!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7158 - 04/25/03 05:22 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thats one of the those things to think about quotes!lol. Its really good, and thanks for bringing that to our attention. I have two fav. quotes. one is "No matter how long and dark the tunnel may be, there is always a light at the end." and "Its the darkest hour before the sun rises"
Just something to ponder on

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7186 - 04/25/03 06:25 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Hehehe - your post made me giggle and breathe a sigh of relief also. I thought I found a link with some people who are perfectionists in aspects of their life, so it was nice to read that quote and think, "uh - strategy here!" You know what, we should list the reasons WHY great is the evil of good, so next time we are pressuring ourselves, we can fall back on it!

#7190 - 04/25/03 06:32 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

LOL, in my first graphic design class ever, the instructor said, well, if you aren't OCD now, you will be by the end of the class. Wasn't that the truth!

One that helps me is "Just for today, let go of worry." I like the 'just for today' part, makes it seem more managable. I can usually handle one day, although when I am pulling my hair out over a tough project, I have smaller goals... "just for one hour..."

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7272 - 04/25/03 10:33 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Cheme... I have a husband that is such a perfectionist he drives me nuts! When I ask him to "invent" something to make my life easier, he goes to the extreme and ponders and ponders and re-does and re-does and re-checks and re-checks. By the time he's done w/it, I don't need it any more! LOL

My favorite is...A day without laughter is like a day without sunshine...and...failure is never fatal, it's courage that counts! Think on those, you guys!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7338 - 04/25/03 03:36 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Sharon - I can definitely relate to your husband. I still havent put together all the photos and souvenirs I collected from my Europe trip from 2 years ago! Its all sitting in an empty suitcase waiting for me to put it all together in a nice scrapbook. I'm way too nitpicky about things like that, I can't whip something out and have it be as nice as I like it....*sigh* And when I am given a deadline on something, well, lets just say I spend every last ounce of energy making that thing perfect. Who needs sleep anyway? Lol....

I really like reading everyone's quotes. A persons fav quote really tells alot about them....One of my fav song quotes is "A lover's kiss is better than angels raining down on me" by Dave Matthews. I also like Whoopie Goldberg's "What does it take to succeed? Stamina. Balls. Confidence."

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#7345 - 04/25/03 04:11 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Cheme - so smart for one so young!!! BTW, how did you get your logon name??? Just curious!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7372 - 04/25/03 06:17 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Speaking of quotes that say a lot about the person... My all time favorite site for inspiration is despair.com, for all those who have a sense of humor.

For all you underachievers, remember: the tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawn mower!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7392 - 04/25/03 09:48 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

My fav quote is "Carpe Diem, Sieze the day and make your life extraordinary!"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1721 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review