All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Do any of you look back to your childhood and realize you had IBS even then? (more)
      #713 - 02/12/03 07:58 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I was curious. . .do any of you look back on your childhood and realize you were suffering with IBS back then, too and just didn't know what it was? I sure do. I remember as far back as elementary school (1970s) when my pediatrician put the title of "nervous stomach" to the condition, but that's about it. I just dealt with it as best as I could. My mom, bless her heart, was a wonderful cook, but she cooked with bacon grease, fried everything, and baked wonderful treats. Just good 'ol down home cookin'. But looking back, I realize now that it was the worst for my condition.

I was terribly shy, too. So a lot of my "nervous stomach" was blamed on being shy. I remember sitting in classes all through school with the desperate "need" to get to a restroom and having to go to the teacher's desk, ask for a "restroom pass" and try to make it in time. That was if the teacher wasn't in the middle of teaching us something. I didn't want to interrupt the class so I would painfully hold it until a more appropriate time like recess or inbetween classes in junior high and high school. Or when an attack would hit me on the bus ride to school or on the way home then I would have to walk three blocks from the bus stop to my house and hurry to the bathroom. 'Course after holding it all day it was more of a "C" problem than a "D" problem.

In college, I had the same problems, but I think it eased up because I was cooking for myself now and eating less fatty foods since I wasn't living at home. I was also getting more exercise because I walked everywhere out of necessity. I survived college and graduated with an Associate Degree in Graphic Design.

Now, I am happily married, have worked in my chosen field for 13 years and have found ways to deal with and control my IBS-D. Some days are better than others. It really helps to have a support network (husband, family, friends) and to have all the resources available nowdays to understand the condition.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do any of you look back to your childhood and realize you had IBS even then? (more) new
      #733 - 02/12/03 10:51 AM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Nugget:

Oh yes, I do remember. Like you, I had a "nervous stomach" ever since I can remember, particularly during my early teens. My mother, who believed in healing with food, would make me creamy oatmeal cooked in MILK! Oh, it was delicious, with cinammon and vanilla bean extract, however, in no time at all, I was once again feeling ill. Thank goodness, I have found the way to curb the problems of IBS.
Thanks for the sharing idea.

Olgis

Re: Do any of you look back to your childhood and realize you had IBS even then? (more) new
      #768 - 02/12/03 06:07 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Nugget - Yes, I figured out the same thing. I remember getting diarrhea with terrible pains one week and then the next week I couldn't go at all. It usually happened when I was at home, luckily.

As I got older, the D turned into C, but then again, sometimes it would be between C and D, if you know what I mean. Then I started Wt Watchers and all hell broke loose. With all the raw veggies, cooked veggies, cheese (which I knew I couldn't eat dairy because it causes me problems) and bran cereals every morning, I was going to bed miserable. Until I found Heather's website.

Anyway, funny you should mention you having a degree in graphic design. I was a computer graphic artist. No degree, no schooling--took to it like a duck takes to water, but I'm pretty artistic anyway. I absolutely loved it. Worked for a computer company in Fremont, CA and did all their illustrations for proposals and presentations. They made signal processing equipment used in spy planes, submarines, so I had a lot of fun showing things blowing up, drawing jeeps and airplanes. Then my hands and arms gave out and started having probs w/my muscles in hands and arms and now I'm a frustrated computer graphic artist. Now I'm a happy floral designer w/my own business. Anyway, sorry to run on.

I remember when I started dating. I would be so nervous that I would have D all day before my date. Yes, it goes back to the 50's for me--I'm 58.

Thank goodness I don't get D anymore when I get nervous. I think I've turned in the other direction now with C. My mother also was a great cook, but she didn't hardly use salt or fats because my dad had a heart attack in the 50's and she was a good wife and cooked pretty healthy for him--healthy for the 50's that is!

Thanks for bringing that fact up. I bet a lot of us hadn't thought of it before.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 946 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1550

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review