All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soluble fiber
      #71222 - 05/17/04 06:07 PM
Rocketqueen

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Montréal

Hi, I never was able to take soluble fiber supplements (even in really small amounts)... It always increased the pain and the bloating... Even my naturopath who aften suggests soluble fiber supplement told me that it's won't be a good idea for me (not for now)...

Therefore, my naturopathe suggested to soak flaxseeds in water for hours. After, to strain them and to drink the water... This way I only have the soluble part of the flaxseed... She told me that it is a gentle way to add soluble fiber. She even use this method with babies who suffer from constipation.

I want to know what people think of this method of adding soluble fiber? Since i'm not able to take soluble fiber supplements for now, can it replace a supplement?
Byebye!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble fiber new
      #71537 - 05/19/04 02:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you tried Acacia? It's a lot gentler on the tummy than other supplements. I don't even notice it and my old supplement used to bloat me up loads.

#71550 - 05/19/04 04:31 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi fellow Montrealer!

I've tried different forms of flax (oil, ground seed, etc) and always had alot of gas. I'd be curious to know if this method works!!!

Also, where do you go in Montreal for your health food stuff? I'm having a hard time finding a good place.

Laura

#71553 - 05/19/04 05:13 AM
Rocketqueen

Reged: 05/10/04
Loc: Montréal

Hi!!!!

I didn't try acadia. It will probably be a next step for me. For now, I don't have problems with the soaked flaxseed (I drink the water). I increase it slowly.

The first time I triied it, I took 2 tbsp of flaxseed before bedtime and it was too much!!!! I had a bit of pain and bloating but no gas. I decreased the dose to 1 tsp 3x per day (before breakfast, lunch and at bedtime). I'm doing it for about 3 days now and I feel fine. I'm still constipated but I know that it can take up to 2 weeks to see a difference with soluble fiber. In a couple of days, I'm going to add another tsp of flaxseed before supper and see how it goes.

When I'll be able to tolerate more flaxseed (my naturopathe suggested a good 4 tbsp per day), I'll see how I feel and I may add a bit of acadia on top of the flaxseed. Also, this way I'll use less acadia since flaxseed is an inexpensive way to add soluble fiber. For now, money is an issue for me...

Hi people from Montreal!!
Here are some health food stores where I shop sometimes:
Chez Tau (on St-Denis)
Rachelle-Béry (5 stores in Montreal)
Both are popular stores. Therefore, sometimes it is more expensive.

Loblaws have a good section too where they sell good products...

I often go to small stores called: À votre santé, on Sherbrooke West near Décarrie. or in Laval on the boul. de la Concorde (source de la santé) Often it is less expensive in smaller stores. Look in the yellow pages to find small stores near where you live. Now, I buy everything I eat in natural health food store. It helped a lot to eat good products. I now shop in 5 different stores (it depends where I am at the moment) and I compare prices...

Have a good day!!!

Re: thanks rocketqueen! -nt- new
      #71670 - 05/19/04 12:39 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6756 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review