All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
wanna be vegan, and thanks
      #70905 - 05/16/04 02:46 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

So the semester is done and I finally read all of Heather's book, The First year. Thanks for all that great advice Heather! Anyway, I'm pretty stable on the diet and am thinking about going back to being vegan. Any tips or hints, anyone? I don't know how much insoluble fiber there is in legumes and lentils, and would like some advice about how I could safely incorporate nuts. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!!
And, while I'm here, thanks to everyone for your great posts, I credit Heather and everyone who posts on this board for my newfound health. (I don't post much, unless I really have something useful to say, but I lurk alot) I haven't felt this good in a decade, at least!
You guys rock!
Laura

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: wanna be vegan, and thanks new
      #70913 - 05/16/04 03:06 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hey, Laura, great news that you're doing so well!! I don't have a clue about the vegan info, but isn't Laura a great name??!! he he!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: wanna be vegan, and thanks new
      #70925 - 05/16/04 03:49 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

It's pretty easy to adapt Heather's recipes to a vegan diet and if you look on the recipe board you'll find more. As for nuts, can you tolerate nut butters? You can also blend nuts into smoothies or chop finely bake into cookies/breads. Legumes/lentils have a lot of insoluble fiber, but if you blend or puree them, you'll have an easier time with them. You can try hummus, lentil soup, vegan chili, and various Indian dishes, things like that. You might want to invest in some Beano too
Soy is also a complete protein, if you can handle it.

--------------------
--Julie

Re: Q for Julie new
      #71024 - 05/17/04 05:26 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Julie,
Thanks for your reply. What I'm mostly worried about is being able to get enough protein from the amount of nuts/ legumes/ soy I can eat at one time, because of the insolubles. Are you eating alot of these foods? What proportions are you eating them in (ie 1/2 cup lentils to 1 cup rice??) Sorry to ask for such specifics, but summer's here and I'd like to be able to go to the park without worrying about attacks!

Laura

Re: Q for Julie new
      #71031 - 05/17/04 06:12 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Hi Laura,

I'm on a high protein diet right now (and I've worked it into Heather's diet). I rely on soy A LOT because it's actually a pretty safe insoluble. I add soy protein powder to smoothies or soy yogurt(and add my acacia or have a piece of toast or a handful of pretzels first). Odwalla superprotein bars/luna bars are good if you're on the go and I usually can eat them on an empty stomach. Seitan sandwiches are super easy, too, and yummy if you use hummus instead of mustard. As for proportions, it depends on how stable I am (factor in stress, PMS, sleep, exercise, too!). If I'm feeling iffy, then I'll have more rice/bread. I would estimate though, that I eat about 1/2cup lentils (or other beans) to 1 cup rice, 1 pita to 2-4 T. hummus, 2/5 package of tofu to 1 c. rice. I don't usually eat less than 1c. rice or 3 slices of bread per serving of legumes/soy. I think what you'll have to do is test things out a bit and see what your body can handle. Everyone is different, plus you build up tolerance as you go. When I first started, I couldn't eat hummus at all, and forget about legumes. Now, though, it's pretty easy.

I do have to admit, that I added fish and poultry back into my diet for this high protein thing. I have serious fatigue that I needed to get under control. However, I do think you can get enough protein, if you plan carefully and keep track of it throughout the day.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask more questions! You also might want to put up a post addressed to Chinagrl. I believe Jenny is vegan too.

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2794 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review