All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zelnorm and awful cravings/hunger!!
      #70502 - 05/14/04 02:52 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I started Zelnorm almost a month ago, and the past few weeks I've gotten SO addicted to junk food! I didn't even make the connection till just now, I mean it could not even be from it but it seems odd. Like every single day I crave candybars, mini donuts and cupcakes I keep trying to eat healthy but I've gained like 8lbs! Today I started thinking how my friend was on Zoloft and gained 15lbs from it, and how they both affect seretonin levels..and saw online that increased appetite actually is a symptom of Zelnorm. So what do I do?? Will my appetite eventually go back down or do I have to go off the Zelnorm? So far it's been enabling me to actually go everyday, which is really cool, so it sucks that I think it's giving me this side effect. Has anyone else had this side effect?? This is so frustrating

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm and awful cravings/hunger!! new
      #70509 - 05/14/04 03:00 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yes I have had the same problems, but I've only been on it for a couple of weeks. Anyway, do you have pain as well and is it helping that? Because maybe now that you're feeling a little better you have an increased appetite because its more enjoyable to eat without worrying about pain etc. Personally though, I haven't felt a tremendous difference in the pain, but my appetite has increased. My cravings are usually pretty late at night though! Weird! Anyone else experiencing anything like this or having good results with Zelnorm??

#70511 - 05/14/04 03:05 PM
fishnets

Quote:

Yes I have had the same problems, but I've only been on it for a couple of weeks. Anyway, do you have pain as well and is it helping that? Because maybe now that you're feeling a little better you have an increased appetite because its more enjoyable to eat without worrying about pain etc. Personally though, I haven't felt a tremendous difference in the pain, but my appetite has increased. My cravings are usually pretty late at night though! Weird! Anyone else experiencing anything like this or having good results with Zelnorm??

My cravings are at night too! Wierd As long as I avoid trigger foods, I usually just get pain from lack of BMs, I find the more I go the more pain free I am. So I guess it does help with that, but I don't think less pain=able to eat more=me pigging out. Ufff this sucks, I don't want to get overweight!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#70513 - 05/14/04 03:17 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

OMG! I have the same exact problem and I just put the two together. I have been on zelnorm since Dec. 2003. Every night (without fail) I get these cravings for anything sweet and I am not a sweets kind of person. But every night I find myself eating ice cream..the worst I could do for myself. It is like I have no control whatsoever! I am going regularly though and don't want that to stop! I get pain if I don't go..aweful pain! Ick!

--------------------
~Wookie

#70544 - 05/14/04 04:46 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Wow, that is really weird. My pain is the same kind of thing, it gets better if I can go...and my cravings are also for sweets. Hmm, very interesting...

#70575 - 05/14/04 10:05 PM
fishnets

Quote:

OMG! I have the same exact problem and I just put the two together. I have been on zelnorm since Dec. 2003. Every night (without fail) I get these cravings for anything sweet and I am not a sweets kind of person. But every night I find myself eating ice cream..the worst I could do for myself. It is like I have no control whatsoever! I am going regularly though and don't want that to stop! I get pain if I don't go..aweful pain! Ick!

Me too with the ice cream! I don't normally eat it, but I keep wanting vanilla icecream, which is doubly odd since I don't even like vanilla

Howcome I've never heard of this side effect? Whenever I hear about Zelnorm, they just talk about the potential "D" problem and that's all.

--------------------
IBS-C

#70726 - 05/15/04 05:51 PM
howiesbuttercup

Reged: 08/20/03

Man, I could just kill for chocolate! I've been on Zelnorm for about 8 months and crave sweets all the time but chocolate is the worst for me. I seem to think that I have to have it every day. I'm also craving nuts, too weird. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with sweet cravings.

Shari

#70911 - 05/16/04 02:59 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

This doesn't work for everyone but Heather and I both figured out independently that if we treat ourselves to one small piece of chocolate after a good soluble fiber meal, it doesn't trigger an attack for us and more importantly, satisfies our chocolate cravings. It's been my routine for so long it doesn't even require will power any more, it's just automatic, like brushing my teeth.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#71226 - 05/17/04 06:16 PM
fishnets

Well I'm going to cut down to one pill a day, and see if that helps without making me totally C, and I'm going to try to add more fiber and start taking other stuff. Hopefully this will help!

--------------------
IBS-C

#71315 - 05/18/04 06:40 AM
stateskater23

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Michigan

I definately agree with the pain and BM correlation. And, I've been thinking that my evening case of the munchies was just my will power taking a break! I can't believe so many others are experienceing the same!

--------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review