All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
heat attack
      #69939 - 05/12/04 04:53 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

What was I thinking? It is unseasonably warm here in Penna. and like a moron I was out in the afternoon doing yard work. The whole time I kept thinking I shouldn't be doing this I will get sick. And of course that is what happened. Just remember if heat is hard on your body take it EASY. Now I am in attacksville. Your delicate flower ibser, hr.

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: heat attack new
      #69946 - 05/12/04 04:57 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

"Delicate flower" is EXACTLY what my sweetie pie hubby calls me! Feel better, hr.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

HR new
      #69979 - 05/12/04 07:15 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

glad to hear i'm not the only one who is "a delicate flower!" i was in Philly this weekend, sitting outside in the sun for my bro's graduation from LaSalle. for hours. and hours. yes, i had a HUGE attack.

between my IBS and the fibro (oh yeah, and my super fair skin!) (mmm... don't let me forget the meds that make me "photosensitive!), the sun and heat are just dangerous. i was telling someone today, i feel like i'm living in a Victorian age novel.

pass the smelling salts, please, i think i'm having an attack of the vapors!

--------------------

Re: HR new
      #69983 - 05/12/04 07:30 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Ugh! I get this too, especially when it is over 90 degrees and humid. It happens a few times each summer here in NYC. Consistently drinking lots of water seems to be the only defense and not always a reliable one unfortunately...
Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: HR new
      #69985 - 05/12/04 07:39 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yes! A victorian novel---that's where I belong, although I'm afraid my tummy couldn't handle the corsets

Still, to be 'indisposed' right now would be great. The humidity plus writing final papers (3 weeks of *pure* joy) is wreaking havoc in my poor tummy. I've been taking so many meds, just so I can write!

Something must be in the air---everyone's having bad attacks!

--------------------
--Julie

glad to have more company! new
      #69987 - 05/12/04 07:42 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

yeah, i think i'm going to be glued to my water bottle more than ever this summer!

--------------------

Re: heat attack new
      #70019 - 05/13/04 05:19 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

Tell me about it. I live in New Jersey which you being from Pennsylvania know how unpredictable our weather can be. I have had attacks every morning since Saturday. I was doing fine for the past month or so but now that the weather is getting hotter I fear that there going to occur more frequently now.

--------------------
Janice B

Victorian Novel! new
      #70062 - 05/13/04 08:56 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yes, Jen and Julie! That's exactly what I've been fantazing about for years. My goal in life is to become a recluse like Emily Dickinson. A long white gown, a sofa to drape myself on dramatically, smelling salts, the whole nine yards.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

To all the delicate flowers new
      #70103 - 05/13/04 10:30 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Thank you all. Since I've found Heather and the message boards my attacks seem not as bad. I know it is from the diet change and just knowing there are others out there like me. Oh yeah I always wanted to go back in history and live in the 19th century until I worked in a museum. There I read through diaries and learn why they grew strong smelling flowers around the outhouses. PBS aired a few shows that the BBC did on going back in time. I caught the family that wanted to live in Victorian times. What an eye opener!

--------------------
IBS-D

Da Vapors new
      #70166 - 05/13/04 01:29 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I actually had a doctor once diagnose me with the vapors! Sounds silly, but he told me how to cure my spells of weakness that I would get in the spring and summer (4 days in bed every 5 weeks or so - sheesh).

His explanation was that some people just need to take it easy and be sure to get plenty of salt when it gets hot. In Victorian times, people called it the vapors, and one just sat and relaxed as best one could until they passed. It's related to, but not caused by, low blood pressure. He also recommended to avoid stressful jobs, too much exercise, etc. - basically said that acting like a Type A superwoman would make me feel worse, which is too true!

Of course, I couldn't really talk about this diagnosis with anyone 10 years ago, but I started eating salty stuff whenever I started feeling woozy....and it cured the problem. I also don't push myself to be some sort of superachiever: no OT at work, no heroic exercise schedule, plenty of time for reading and relaxing, no kids or dogs.

I still feel weaker than normal when it gets hot (not to mention the IBS stuff kicking it up then), but drinking Gatorade and eating pickles and baked BBQ potato chips keeps me from swooning on the couch too much.

--AC (also in the "so pale she glows in the dark" club!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8982

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review