All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gas, Gas, Gas
      #69467 - 05/11/04 11:48 AM
starimpaler

Reged: 05/11/04

Hello all you patrons. I am a fellow IBS patient and have just been diagnosed with IBS. Here is an embarrasing question I have: What can I do about my constant flow of gas? It is so embarrasing that I have forcefully become anti-social because of it. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to eat. My gastenterologist is not very cooperative, and he just put me on Zelnorm because I also have constipation. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas, Gas, Gas new
      #69479 - 05/11/04 12:01 PM
Katy6170

Reged: 03/31/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hiya,
I too had problems with gas, mostly due to the constipation I was suffering from. Up your soluable fiber intake. Once I started following Heather's dietary guidelines, my gas pretty much went away. I just take Citrucel powder in the morning and at night, and Fibercon tablets before meals during the day (increase your fiber gradually though). Drink lots of peppermint tea and chammomile, no soda, coffee, or any of that, and you should get results.
Be really careful with fruits and veggies, I find that vegetables are really hard for me to digest and cause lots of gas. Try eating mostly rice, bagels, and plain pasta, see if that helps. Then introduce your insoluable fibers gradually.

Hope that helped!!
-Katy

#69483 - 05/11/04 12:06 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

My GI gave me Hyoscyamine for the gas. A phone call to the Dr., he shouldnt have a problem calling it in for you. Let me tell you it works wonders, I take one a day. I have read so many stories about Drs prescribing 2-3, 3 times a day!! Oh my gosh, I dont need that much, you may not either. I have tried the Phazyme, and GasX, neither were helpful to me. I may as well have drank water. I totally undersand the social thing, I have gone out to dinner with hubby and friends and not ordered anything because of it. Now, I feel like I can eat without being worried. Also, in time you will be able to identify your triggers and you WONT want to eat them. I promise. Good luck.

------------

Dont tell God how big the storm is, tell the storm how big yor God is !!!

#69486 - 05/11/04 12:11 PM
gigi

One more thing, it doesnt matter how much soluble fiber I eat or dont eat or drink, I still have gas. I am so careful what fruit and vegetables I eat and if they are peeled, seeded, and cooked, it still does not matter. Gas loves me,I hate that.

#69487 - 05/11/04 12:15 PM
starimpaler

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

#69489 - 05/11/04 12:18 PM
starimpaler

Thank you so much for your input. What other types of foods do you eat? Do you like meat? Do you eat cheese? I just don't want to pass gas anymore. I'm going on vacation soon and cannot have gas on the trip. My friends will think I am a fool. Any advice?

#69502 - 05/11/04 12:36 PM
Katy6170

Hiya,
Not sure if you were writing to me or not, but my advice on your vacation and for your life would be to stay away from all diary products. They are a HUGE trigger for gas for me. I just don't digest anything like that well. And stay away from dark meat and red meat. Chicken breast and white meat turkey and fish are ok. But always eat more soluable fiber than protein. It's the #1 rule. Fill up on white rice or pasta, and have the meat as a side dish. No butter, no oil, and low fat.
Eating out on vacation especially, is so hard for me, but since I have not had a kitchen in 4 months, I've come up with a few places I can go with minimal discomfort. Get oatmeal made with water and a small banana in it, or a bagel with a bit of jelly, a turkey sandwich with a slice or two of tomato.
Always tell them you have an intolerance to butter and oil and dairy products to ensure that whatever you order will be made the way you want it. So many times I've gone out and asked for no butter no oil only to wind up with a bowl smothered with both!! This also is a good way to demurely let your needs be known without going into the embarassing details! Just say you have dietary restrictions for medical reasons if your friends ask and you don't want to tell them. This has worked for me pretty much, although at times certain meals still aggrevate my gas/constipation. The most important thing, is to make sure that you have soluable fiber in your stomach before anything else. I know that when I don't take my fiber before I eat, I get bad gas even while I'm still eating my meal!

I really hoped this has helped you,
-Katy

#69506 - 05/11/04 12:39 PM
Katy6170

Sorry, I forgot to mention that peppermint tea after meals, or peppermint caps help after a meal that's causing gas, also fennel tea and ginger tea are really good for gas, drink them a lot! before, with, and after every meal. Bring boxes of them with you on your trip!!
Hope that helps,
-Katy

#69511 - 05/11/04 12:47 PM
gigi

Everyone has given you great info here. One more thing, my GI told me to carry Lactaid Ultra to help with the dairy. Get some and try it before you go, it may and may not help you. It does help me!! You chew it with your first bite of dairy.

I am fortunate, all and I mean ALL of my friends know that have digestive problems. They are all great about it, if they are real friends, they will care more about you than your gas. Believe me, my friends know I suffer with gas problems. Sometimes we even joke about it, that takes away alot of the anxiety that also causes me to have gas. Have a great trip!!! Dont forget to eat the rolls before you eat anything else.

#69545 - 05/11/04 01:27 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just wanted to add my welcome!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5680 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review