All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: IBS and weight loss? new
      #7101 - 04/24/03 03:19 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi all; I EXERCISE 3-4 times a week plus follow the ibs diet and my diet seams to stay about the same, I wonder why? Seriuosly!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Story new
      #7105 - 04/24/03 03:53 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey mouse, are you new to the board? I havnt seen you around. Anyway, its a great feeling to feel as if your not alone, ist it? Thank Heavens to Betsy for this board

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7106 - 04/24/03 04:00 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Aha...another lurker!! Hi Mouse and a formal welcome to you. You're right about trigger foods--it's not worth it, but have you tried peeling the apple before you eat it? If I don't peel it, I get awful gas but if I do peel it, I have no reaction.

Sounds like you've hit some quacks too (doc wise).

Again, welcome, and don't be shy or hesitant about posting anything!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#7107 - 04/24/03 04:09 PM
SharonMello

Hi Lisa 37 - Yeh, we all know about comfort food, I think. I've been doing it for years--it's my drug of choice!

If you have specific comfort foods, maybe we can make them safe for you by substituting ingredients. It just depends. If you feel like it, post some that you can't eat and let's see what we can do.

You know, it's strange that you should start posting to the board now because we just got an order from Trinidad & Tobego WI last week. I hear life's a beach there! (My husband invented a locksmith tool and we sell it from home and also advertise it on our website.)

--------------------
Sharon

#7108 - 04/24/03 04:26 PM
SharonMello

Lisa 37 - you're almost as comical as Mags 2003!! LOL

The chewey chocolate cookies are really chocolatey (if that's a word!) Yes, I miss the chocolate bars too, esp Hershey's milk chocolate. I would just let it melt on my tongue and smoosh it around in my mouth before I swallowed it. What a flavor!!! LOL

I think that you did yourself in when you ate a WHOLE bag of marshmallows...I probably would've thrown up before my IBS attack! Don't think you should do that again.

Do you have Heather's books? There's great info in there on breaking the cycle and on this board too. I think it was in this string under poster: vilate45. Heather put a few links in there that you should read.

A lot of the chocolate cookies and cakes don't need any soy butter and use applesauce or pureed prunes (or for that matter pureed pears or almost any pureed fruit) as the fat substitute...usually equal amounts of fruit puree for the called-for oil/butter in a recipe. Heather's Peppermint Chocolate Cake is great (although I don't do the peppermint thing--I substitute the tbsp of peppermint extract with vanilla extract). I always have something chocolate in my freezer ready to be defrosted to eat. The chewy chocolate cookies can be eaten frozen because they really don't freeze that hard. They're extremely GREAT!

Keep posting Lisa. You'll get a lot of good information from these boards.

--------------------
Sharon

#7109 - 04/24/03 04:31 PM
SharonMello

Yolie - Yes, you should be able to eat stuff made with unsweetened cocoa powder--as long as it's not made from regular chocolate bars. They have the fat and unsweetened cocoa powder doesn't!

Try searching for chocolate stuff and you should get a ton of recipes. If there's something specific, don't hesitate to post a request.

Yes, I remember the Mummers Parade and freezing my fannie off out there in the streets one year and drinking booze to keep me warm! Never spent a lot of time in Philly because I lived in Jersey, so we had some great cheesesteak shops there. The other thing I remember loving a great deal was pineapple cheesecake. OMG. I would kill for a piece right now!! ROFL

Go easy on the chocolate stuff you make with the unsweetened cocoa to see if you do okay, but get stabilized first...then you go, girl!!

--------------------
Sharon

Re: My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter) new
      #7110 - 04/24/03 04:42 PM
SharonMello

Anita - thanks...I'll check out that website.

WW isn't "legal" or "illegal" anymore and their pep talks are very sensible and sensitive--depending on the leader. I
've been fortunate to have some really good leaders. I've stopped going to meetings because me and the "hub" have to cut some costs because we're on a limited income but I still keep my journal and cook the WW/IBS foods. I'll never stop because I don't ever want to be plugged up again, nor do I want to gain all the weight back that I struggled so hard to lose. Besides, I like the way I look (in clothes, that is) now!

I also was a skinny minnie when I was in school and even when I got married the first time. I've seen some pictures of me at my shower, and boy, was I thin! But age and body changes sure don't help. I think as long as we like ourselves, who gives a crap what other people think...right? They have no idea about our lives and the rocks and boulders we run into on the way.

We had one leader at WW that was about 70 years old and she had a pretty nice body. She used to tell the story to all the newbies that she lost 400 lbs on WW--the same 10 lbs a year for 40 years. Every year she would gain 10 lbs and then lose it only to gain it back the following year--usually around holiday time. The leaders don't make you feel bad about being fat--they tell you about the choices you have to make--either eat the deep fried fish and chips and gain weight or eat the grilled fish with rice and feel better about the choice you made. I think they decided that their scare tactics were bad for business! I think you're right about WW being in it for the money--corporate-wise, but the leaders really want to help because they've been there. Most of them show you pictures of themselves before they lost weight. And, you have to have lost weight and maintained keeping it off to be a leader. Of course, the money doesn't hurt either!

Keep up the good work, girlie!

--------------------
Sharon

Re: IBS and weight loss? new
      #7114 - 04/24/03 05:52 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

This is now the 2nd person to say this. I honestly dont know why I've lost so much weight (and am still losing, actually), when others have not. The only thing I can think of is a) maybe there are other things I am doing/not doing in my lifestyle that help the loss, things I may not realize, and b) I do know that some propensity toward obesity is genetic. That is, some ppl are meant to be big, no matter what they do they cannot lose. I know I'm genetically meant to be thin, my bone structure and body frame is petite. One evidence of it is the weird fact that although I weigh 200 lbs., I'm a bra size 34DD! I was always very tiny on my upper body, and only slightly bigger on my lower body.

Other than that, I dont know what to tell you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Re: My IBS Story (sent to Nutrition Action Newsletter) new
      #7115 - 04/24/03 05:58 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Hi Sharon! Its good to hear WW doesnt do the scare stuff anymore. I think it affected my mom badly emotionally, and it trickled down to me so much that I turned against the whole concept of dieting.

I was cleaning out my mom's hoiuse before she sold it, and found her oooold WW weigh in cards from 1968. I was freaked at what it said on the bottom: "Having learned the message of freedom from Weight Watchers, I will now carry the message to the compulsive overeater who still suffers". Give me a break! Sounded like a religious cult to me. Glad to hear they have improved over the years though!

I'm also glad to hear they got rid of the concept of "legal" and "illegal". As a kid, I thought "legal" only applied to food (lol)...besides, telling ppl that certain foods are always bad is not good. It sets a person up for failure, because human nature being what it is, the more someone is told they can't have something, the more they crave it. Just like this past week, being Passover, I couldnt have bread, so what did I crave? Exactly...pizza and bagels. LOL!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#7201 - 04/25/03 07:15 AM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the advice with chocolate, I will try to find some!! I am going to try the peach glazed chicken recipe this weekend, it sounds delicious!! I even have my family hooked on some IBS recipes! I do miss cheesecake!!! I am watching everything I eat so I can at least be stable. Question.....are Nutri-Grain bars safe??? I am just taking it one day at a time.

Thank you so much for the support and God Bless!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 49455

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review