Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need some help and reassurance,please?
      #66746 - 05/02/04 10:03 AM
Gurgle

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: South West UK

Hi
this is the 1st time ive used this message board,so not sure if im in the right section.
Im a new IBS sufferer,and it only really started when i came off my anti depressants for panic attacks (cipralex) at the begining on March.
Maybe it was the extra stress of stopping them that triggered me off,im not sure. But its ruining my life. I dont go out, and i live in fear that im going to feel really ill every dayand need the toilet at a seconds notice. It brings on panic attacks at the slightest twinge in my stomach and ive got to the point where im hardly eating so my stomach has nothing to work on.
In the past 4weeks ive lost 6lbs taking me underweight for my height.
My symtoms are anything from constant nausea to Diorrehea one day and then constipated for the next two.
My worst symtom though is the constant popping,churning,rumbling,gurgling i get from the moment i open my eyes. it happens weather ive eaten or not.
Even just this sensation in the area below my belly button casues me to panic because i think there is something wrong.. this then works me up and i get Diorreahea. I am talking colofac before eating,and occasionally codine sulphate if im having a bad day,but i need to get myself sorted out and need some guidance as to how to deal with all the symptoms and that its gonna stop? and how to prevent the dreaded awful noise i get in my bowel and intestine.
im a nervous wreck and leaving the house is a problem,due to the way i feel. Someone please help me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some help and reassurance,please? new
      #66748 - 05/02/04 10:15 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - you've come to the right section!

Have you been properly diagnosed with IBS by the doctor?

If so, then I'd start by reading about the diet and how to Break the Cycle of Attacks.

Once you read through all that, let us know if you have any questions. You also sound like a good candidate for the hypnotherapy. It has worked wonders for me and I think it can help you too.

Welcome to the boards!

#66751 - 05/02/04 10:22 AM
Gurgle

Hi
yes my doctor agreed with me when i put all my sypmtoms to her that i probably have ibs.not sure if its runs in the family but my Nan and brother are sufferers too. They just seem to deal with it and cope fine,leading normal lives but ive become obsessed with it and cant get out of the cycle.
i gave the 2 topics a read..and some of the information was useful. i cant find any info though on why i get and how i can stop the churning,weather ive eaten or not. ive already discoved the foods i need to avoid,which i find has eased the pains and cramps..but im still left with the churning senstations and im just so miserable. Need to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Ive suffered with panic attacks since i was 14,im now 20. but this is the 1st time that what leaves my stomach has become and issue.
Im driving my mother mad as everytime i have a slight upset or anything doesnt feel "normal" im calling her for reasurance that itl be ok! is it normal to feel so vunerable??

#66756 - 05/02/04 10:29 AM
*Melissa*

I think I kinda went through the same thing 2 summers ago. I was terrified to eat, and a lot of times my throat would feel like it was closing, I couldn't catch my breath, I was shaking, and I literally thought I was going to die. It happened like 4 times, but always felt like it was on the verge of happening. They made me go through all sorts of tests about it. It never was officially diagnosed as panic attacks, but that's what I thought they were.

Oh, and I always had the "creepy-crawly" feeling in my stomach too. I hated that!!

Did you try the diet yet? The soluble fiber? Teas?

#66758 - 05/02/04 10:34 AM
Gurgle

its a panic attack you were having. i used to get them from being in a situation i couldnt get out of, like being at the dentist, or in a crowded room... id just need to get out. But th panic now has changed from all that and homed in on every single detail/noise/function my body makes. and the frustratiing thing is that i never used to! all these sypmtoms only started 8weeks ago and i just want them to go away.
ive not tried any of your diets on here as i only just found this site half an hour ago!
I just want to be hypnotised out of worrying about myself and get back to living. Are there any sucess storys on here that are rid of it all after treatments?

#66775 - 05/02/04 11:28 AM
*Melissa*

I think the hypno would help you lots! I really do! Check out the Hypno Board and see what you think.

As a matter of fact, there was just a really good success story from someone the other day. Here it is: web page

I felt a lot better once I started following Eating for IBS. The teas, low fat soluble fiber based meals, etc, made me feel a lot better. I still had anxiety-IBS issues though, and the hypno helped LOTS with that. I'm on my second round and feeling even better.

Edited by Mags2003 (05/02/04 11:28 AM)

Welcome to the boards! new
      #66794 - 05/02/04 12:26 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i am glad you found us. nice to have you here.

i see you have had anxiety and panic attacks in the past. it sounds to me like what you're experiencing with worrying about your stomach and focusing so much on it is just another form of anxiety. do your doctors know about this (you hyper-focus on your IBS)??

i think you will find a lot of success if you try this diet. take your time and read through everything on the site. ordering Heather's books is another good idea. they're quite excellent, and it's nice to have the info in one place. it can be difficult to navigate a big website like this and too easy to miss some important information.

Mags gave you a great start with the links she's provided. Here's a little something else that may help you: Helpful Stuff for Newbies.

meanwhile, i urge you to checkout the hypno information, as Mags suggested. i think you could really benefit from it. stress is a huge IBS trigger, and clearly being anxious about your tummy is stressful. it's a vicious circle.

now it's none of my business, but maybe going off the anxiety meds is a decision that should be reevaluated? that may help you immensely, especially considering you say you didn't have this problem before coming off of them....

anyway, i'm sorry you're feeling so awful and so scared to eat and leave the house. read through this site, start on a soluble fiber supplement (slowly), eat the "safe" foods for a few days and see if you notice and improvement.

best of luck!

--------------------

#66858 - 05/02/04 04:31 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, I just wanted to say hello, too! The hypno tapes sound like the perfect thing for you to try. And the diet of course.

Keep coming back, there's always someone here who has felt almost EXACTLY the way you have. It's really a miracle.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#66870 - 05/02/04 05:15 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi. You sound exactly like I did only about 3 months ago. I am so sorry you're going through this! It really does suck, especially in the beginning. It gets better, I swear!
I had to really fight those anxiety attacks, they were awful. One time my husband and I went over to a friends house about 45 minutes away, and about 5 minutes after being there I had to come home because I 'felt sick'. I didn't want to go anywhere...I used all my sick/vacation time for work....it was really bad. This website has REALLY helped me. Buy Heather's book with recipes.
Start out slow...you can do it, and you'll feel better.

Also - if you're anything like me, I stress ALL the time, which leads to stomach problems...and when you have an anxiety attack, your brain tells you that you are going to get sick - so you panic, then when you actually DO get sick, you are just reassuring yourself that 'See! I did have something to worry about!'. It's a bad cycle, I do it all the time. What I'm getting at is that what really helped me was starting to see a therapist. I see him once a week, and he is awesome. Maybe you can look someone up, or your normal doc can recommend someone? He's trying to help me with the anxiety and all.
I haven't tried the hypno yet, but I'm thinking I will. Try everything you can, there are things out there to help!

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#66884 - 05/02/04 07:09 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Our stories are similar. In September 2003 I stopped taking anxiety medication (Celexa)with the help of my doctor. I felt my anxiety attacks where under control with earlier counseling and meds. I also started reading information on the downside of psyciatric meds that convinced me to stop taking them. My IBS came back with a vengence. Like you every movement or noise my gut makes sends me into an attack. Especially in a car! Right now I am trying to find a counselor (I have moved since Sept.) and probably back on some type of anti anxiety meds. My gastro doctor put me on nortriptyline 50mg which has helped alittle with the adrenaline rush my gut gets before I head into my panic attack. I am also using the hypnotherapy tapes. I am on my 14th day and am feeling small changes so I am very excited I am continuing my research into the psyciatric meds and have come to the conclusion that in order for me to have a "normal" anxiety level I may have to take the drugs and that is okay.

please excuse my spelling!

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1569 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review