All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you deal with eating at relatives houses?
      #66734 - 05/02/04 08:53 AM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

We're going to lunch at my uncles house this afternoon. He is a culinary arts teacher, his wife an ex pastry chef. They love to cook for all of us and do so whenever they can. Unfortanately the last few times I've eaten there I've been incredibly sick for hours afterwards.

Now, they know I'm dealing with stomache issues but neither asked me what i can/can't eat and I just didn't feel comfortable saying "hey... i can't eat dairy, fat or red meat by the way."

So dh suggested that i just pack a small tupperware of leftover garlic brown sugar chicken, a potato roll or two, a baked potato or whatever...and then if theres nothing i can eat for lunch, i can just break out my own.

is that tacky? rude? i mean..it is my family, but the reason for lunch is relatives in from out of town and i really don't want to offend anyone.

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you deal with eating at relatives houses? new
      #66736 - 05/02/04 09:00 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I just returned from visiting family, and I knew there would be a lot of heavy take-out meals offered. I packed my acacia and peppermint tabs and took along some sweet potatoes that I could throw in the microwave. I simple explanation that my IBS was flaring seemed to satisfy family, and no one commented when I ate my potatoe instead of a burger and fries. I was able to eat with them most of the time, but I had to be choosy about what part of some meals I enjoyed. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings for heaven's sake! No amount of special culinary skills is worth hurting and being sick for hours! Your health is more important, and surely they would be understanding in that. You are together to enjoy family, not the food anyway.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#66738 - 05/02/04 09:14 AM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

I just returned from a visit to my family in Chicago (now you know where my "name" comes from!), and before I left, I e-mailed them the "official" what I can eat, what I can't eat list. That helped a lot! You never know -- sharing your diet with your relatives may open them up to some new cooking adventures. Good luck!

#66744 - 05/02/04 09:53 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Just let them know. Being into cooking, they'd probably love to come up with creative things you can eat.

When I go to visit my fiance's family in WV, I bring food I can eat if necessary so they don't have to change for me. But, that's not just one meal - that's for a few days. And even so, they do adjust their meals for me so I'm not left out. That's what family is for!

Now, when I go to my mom's house, I eat some of what they're eating and bring some of my own.

Each meal is different, but I hope you get the idea.

Oh - and no one has ever been offended by my dietary needs.

#66876 - 05/02/04 06:08 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

thanks for the replies.
we went and i packed two potato rolls for emergency lol and ate those..thank goodness i did.
lunch was salad bar
(greens, potato, cucumber, carrots, celery, salami cheese and dressings), a huge bowl of homemade potato salad, fresh roast beef, 3 types of cheeses, rye and dark wheat breads, chips. And a huge bowl of fruits - melon, strawberries grapes etc - they went for the spring picnic theme. I was so relieved when she brought out the platter of fresh white meat turkey!
i had my two rolls and a few pieces of turkey and just ate very very slowly. I also treated myself to a few grapes and guess what? i didn't get sick. lol
it sucked to see all that great food tho and not be able to eat - i hate feeling deprived in any way.
Uncle did approach me after lunch and told me he saw i only ate some turkey and the rolls i brought and asked if next time we do a meal if i could send him the list, which of course i said that'd be great.
anyway. thanks again.

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

#66885 - 05/02/04 07:13 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Uncle did approach me after lunch and told me he saw i only ate some turkey and the rolls i brought and asked if next time we do a meal if i could send him the list, which of course i said that'd be great.

That's fabulous! I'm so happy for you!

Oh - and glad you made it without getting sick too!

We do what we gotta do new
      #66889 - 05/02/04 07:24 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

some relatives ask what you can eat & care & some give you that hypochondriac look. Yeah for your uncle! I've had many a Turkey Day dinner of turkey and rolls while watching everyone else gorging. And heaven forbid they buy a Butterball turkey! Next year I'm bringing more of what I can eat like plain crackers or baked Lays for snacks, maybe a potato or canned carrots to throw in the microwave & my tofutti cuties for dessert or my mango sorbet so I don't have to sit there feeling sorry for myself. The only problem will be that they might all want my desserts plus their dairy laden pies and cakes so I'd better bring extra.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 787

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review