Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
So nauseous...
      #66687 - 05/02/04 03:26 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
A couple of days ago, while I was at work I suddenly got this really overwhelming nausea and thought I might fall over it was so bad. Since then, I have been feeling really nauseous almost all the time. It is so bad that I really wish I could just throw up, to make it go away.. but I can't. I have been getting a bad stabbing pain in my very lower belly at the same time, dunno if it's related..
My question is, my GP gave me some over the counter stuff for nausea but it makes you really drowsy. The meds I am on for spasms and stuff also make me drowsy, and I am already taking them 3 times a day! I am scared that if I take the nausea medication, I will just knock myself out (which I obviously can't do at work).
The sick feeling is so bad today that I walked up to work and then just came home again. I really hate the taste of ginger, but I've heard it's good for nausea so I am going to try making some tea with it today... but are there any other options? The smell of ginger just makes my stomach turn, just 'cause I really hate it.
I used to let cold water run over my wrists when I was feeling sick, and it would help but isn't doing the trick this time... need suggestions!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So nauseous... new
      #66688 - 05/02/04 03:57 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I am sorry that you are having such tummy troubles. I do think ginger helps with nausea, but if you do not like the taste of ginger the tea might be too much for you. Personally I thought it was very good, but spicy & strong (of course it could be the brand). For me, it will take some time to get used to. Also, there are Ginger Altoids out there, that work for me (if you can find them). I prefer them over the Peppermint ones. Have you tried peppermint or chamomille tea? I never drank peppermint tea until IBS & Heather's website . My mother always gave us a cup of tea when when had upset tummies, so hot tea is always associated with making my tummy feel better:). I hope this helps.
Daisy

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

#66701 - 05/02/04 05:49 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

I didn't mean to put the smiley face at the begining of my last post, this is not a smiley face issue. I just tried the ginger tea again, but this time I added a little sugar & it tasted much better. I have found with the herbal teas, I like them best without sugar (which freaks me out, I am a MO girl at heart & you HAVE TO HAVE your hot tea sweetened), so when I first tried the ginger tea, I automatically tried it without sugar. I really like it with the sugar. The sugar helped cut some of the spiciness. Again, I hope this helps.
Daisy

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

#66709 - 05/02/04 06:25 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Steph; can you buy gravol over where you are? In Canada I buy a generic brand of gravol ( motion sickness) and take a half of the tablet. It doesn't make me drowsy as a whole tablet would. If seems to take a way the nauseau! Myself ususally when I get nausea's it means I'm usually going to have a BM. If your pain persists can you see your Dr.? Take care Sue

#66712 - 05/02/04 06:44 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Oh, I totally know what you are talking about. This happens to me all the time---and it's so horrid when you have to be somewhere! It's making me nauseous thinking about how terrile it feels.
I don't like ginger either (eeewww), but I sorta learned to scarf down bits of candied ginger. Chew quickly and eat an altoid after. This worked well since I was always getting waves of nausea in the middle of seminars. There also are hard candies made from ginger and they're a little milder. You could try mixing ginger tea with another kind to mask the taste. I forced myself to eat the ginger since it made the nausea go away and was worth the two minutes of feeling MORE nauseated while I ate it.
The only other option I can think of is Dramamine, but that makes you a little drowsy too. Perhaps try deep breathing or sitting down and putting your head between your knees (so your head is below your heart). My mom used to have me do that when I was sick.

--------------------
--Julie

#66715 - 05/02/04 07:09 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Poor you... when I'm at my worst with this stuff I spend all of my time naseuous. It is NOT fun. Have you been tested for GERD, or just IBS? For me it's the combo of the two that makes me feel sick all of the time. I've found that it's important to keep something in my stomach (sops up acid) at all times... even if it's just white bread or crackers. If this keeps up, I would go to the doctor!

Thanks new
      #66719 - 05/02/04 07:39 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi all,
Thanks for all the responses. We can get gravol in Canada, but not here in England. I have something called Bucastem or something... I haven't tried it yet 'cause of the drowsy thing. I finally found altoids here, but only the peppermint ones and not the ginger ones.
I will try the ginger tea for today and tomorrow (a holiday here, no stores will be open) but after that, I will look for candied ginger or ginger flavoured candies. We have a health food store up the road that is not too bad.
Oh, as for GERD, I've never been tested for it. I never would have thought I had it but for the last few weeks, I've been having all kinds of problems with my throat, where I feel like something comes up and just stays there - it's really uncomfortable and makes it hard to ignore as it feels like something is stuck. Hard to breath, too. I went to my doctor here and he said I had laryngitus, which is ridiculous because I... well, I don't. I've had that like 5 times before and this is nothing like that. *sigh* I hate doctors.
Okay, well, thanks for the advice!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#66725 - 05/02/04 08:07 AM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Sorry your tummy is feeling so yucky! Have you tried taking ginger root capsules? I too don't like the taste of ginger, but the capsules are great because you taste nothing. They work so well for me that I had surgery a month ago and the surgeon had me take them for nausea rather than the prescription stuff and it worked like a charm! You should be able to find the capsules easily. I found them in the States at Wal-Mart. Good luck and keep your chin up!
Leah

#66726 - 05/02/04 08:10 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are nauseous. Unfortunately, I suffer from that, too. I have never tried ginger (fear of trying anything new) but I read where they come in capsule form....maybe that would'nt be as bad as the tea. I usually take pepto bismol...yuck....but it does seem to help somewhat. Anxiety usually brings on an attack for me.
Anyday that I feel good is a great day!!

Feel better soon
Barbie

--------------------

Re: So nauseated ... new
      #66854 - 05/02/04 03:28 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

There's lots of things that can cause nausea, even something like an ear infection or other inflammation can do it ... also, dietary imbalances can do it, among them a lack of vitamin B6. But sometimes (often) it's impossible to find the cause and you just want a solution.

Peppermint can reduce nausea, and as most moms know, if you are feeling nauseated you should try to keep SOMETHING in your tummy -- crackers, bread, something bland. Avoid strong stuff like fish and tomatoes for a while, and if you can handle carbonated beverages, 7up and ginger ale are good.

Chamomile tea is another good one when you feel nauseated, and both cumin seed and caraway seed can relieve nausea. You can also make a tea of raspberry leaves and cloves -- if you don't have raspberry leaves, you can stir raspberry jam with hot water and add a dash or two of ground cloves and try that.

Good luck, I remember, nausea bites!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1982

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review