All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What bread is okay to eat?
      #66514 - 04/30/04 08:26 PM
robilan

Reged: 04/30/04

The IBS book indicates that French bread and Sourdough bread are okay. What about Italian bread or a dinner roll or a hamburger bun or regular white bread? None of them are made with whole wheat flower yet you only recommend French and Sourdough. I believe French bread has no dairy. Is this the difference? Can the others be eaten even if they contain dairy? Your help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What bread is okay to eat? new
      #66529 - 05/01/04 03:54 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Italian bread is fine. On the others, you want to check the ingredients to make sure they don't use dairy.

#66545 - 05/01/04 06:17 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I enjoy pita bread, flatbread, sourdough bread, french bread and sometime, italian bread (depending on the ingredinets) I find that most hamburger/hotdog buns and regular white bread are filled with perservatives, and no fiber

#66596 - 05/01/04 11:28 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

French bread -- as a general rule -- usually does not contain milk.

Italian bread OFTEN contains milk. Check this list of recipes!

Sourdough bread is not a recipe, it's a method of making bread. Sourdough bread often contains milk. Check this list of recipes!

If whole wheat flour is a problem for you but dairy products are not, then just eat white breads and don't worry about it. If dairy is a problem, though, you need to buy your bread with a list of ingredients on it or learn to make your own or get it from someone who can reliably tell you there's no dairy in it. The words "french" and "italian" and "sourdough" DO NOT mean "dairy-free" no matter who tells you that.

#66603 - 05/01/04 11:58 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Be careful with hamburger buns and dinner rolls, many contain buttermilk or other dairy ingredients. I've made this mistake myself, so I'm speaking from experience.

--------------------
--Julie

No Whey!!!!!!!! new
      #66671 - 05/01/04 08:36 PM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

This is a great question! Besides messing up and eating buttermilk, I found out that many restaurants around here use sandwich buns with whole egg in them! This mistake early in my IBS diet days led to a night in the bathroom and a day off from work (UGH!).

My most important discovery was to avoid bread labeled as "All Natural, No Preservatives" that used WHEY (a milk product -- someone a little closer to cows would have to explain that one!) as a "natural" preservative. I was shopping at a small town store, and this looked like my best option (actually, I should have had other "base foods" that weekend).

Panera "Country" and sourdough breads have been good for me, and they are right around the corner. Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review