All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Scared to eat
      #66080 - 04/29/04 05:06 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm really scared to eat. I've been contacted by my employer about problems with my absences, and now I find myself afraid to eat for fear of uspetting my tummy. I know that when I don't eat I normally don't have problems, so I'm thinking of not eating until I get through my work week (usually four or five days) and then eating normally after that.

The thing is, I know how incredibly dumb that is, yet I can't help it, because I have to do something to prevent missing anymore work, and this seems to be the only option. Even when I eat safe foods only I still seem to be having problems, and well, I just don't want to have to stay home from work anymore.

Any suggestions anyone?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared to eat new
      #66100 - 04/29/04 05:50 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I can't remember, Kelly, have you started the hypno program? That did more for relieving my anxiety about eating than anything else. It really does wonders...

Good luck getting things figured out at work. I know how upsetting it can be to feel sick all the time. Hang in there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#66101 - 04/29/04 05:52 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

hey. i'm new to the boards here but i just wanted to tell you i'm right there with you. It seems that even the 'safe' foods make me sick . sometimes i'm not eating them at the right times or i'm having too many things in one day (like yesterday i had 3 dried mango slices at snack time and a few bites of pork with dinner and was sick as a dog)

i dont' work out of my home so its easier, but i have an online business and 2 young kids and i babysit 2 two year olds... so its hard to be sick.

i find myself afraid to eat too. I've been living on bread and jam honestly. some pasta sometimes. a potato. pretzels. peppermint tea
not a very healthy diet.
tonight we're going to try some potato. then some carrots and a little white meat chicken.
anyway, will follow this thread along with you - but i can relate. I'm scared to eat too

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

oh my.... new
      #66184 - 04/30/04 05:40 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

sorry you two are having such trials. that sucks.

i have to say something about this:

Quote:

(like yesterday i had 3 dried mango slices at snack time and a few bites of pork with dinner and was sick as a dog)

dried fruit of any kind kills my stomach. even just a litte. as for the pork, that's really hard to digest and it's on the "triggers" list. despite the advertising that pork is "the other white meat," it's still considered a red meat, i believe, and it definitely gets me sick.

hope you stabilize soon....

--------------------

#66191 - 04/30/04 06:04 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

does you employer know what u are ill with? I heard or read that more pple are absent from work for IBS than anything. Now I think that was Heather's book. Ive read so much on IBS lately. Getting stabalized is not easy but what about eating ONLY safe foods for a wee bit?

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

#66196 - 04/30/04 06:14 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Kel,

I'm really sorry you are having so much trouble but not eating is not the answer. You can't go all week with no food. Believe me I used to be like that and I would hardly eat at all I was so afraid of getting sick at work.

Can you eat plain pasta, white rice, plain bagels, soup?

I'm IBS-D and my new doc gave me meds to help me and I feel alot better. I used to go in to work sick as a dog every day and hardly eat. Then it just got to the point where I had to do something about it and I found a new doc who listened and was willing to help.

Try to please at least eat something and I hope everything works out for you.

Barbara

#66205 - 04/30/04 06:27 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Barbara,

I'm a Barbara, too. I, too, am scared to eat and keep a food diary. Living on potatoes and rice is hard especially when you have a husband that can eat anything....last night hot dogs with chili, onions, etc and pea salad... I would be sicker than a dog if I ate that. You mentioned meds...which ones are you on? I am on Librax for anxiety and relaxes stomach. It does seem to help especially with the anxiety (which causes a lot of my stomach problems).

Barbie

--------------------

For Barbie -- Re: Scared to eat new
      #66210 - 04/30/04 06:45 AM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi Barbie,

I can sympathize with the "eat anything" husband. I have one who eats about every 3-4 hours and doesn't gain an ounce. I usually cook our foods separately since he can eat everything.

Recently (1 1/2 months ago) doc prescribed Effexor XR (low dose) and for me it relaxed my stomach (I get really nervous and anxious), my D has really eased up dramatically. Like I said I don't eat alot of "Bad" food, but I'm happy I can eat at all. He also prescribed Ku-Zyme (it's a digestive aid because I got so much gas, bloat and I burped from morning till night) and that works great, hardly a burp at all!!! I was never a medication person before but now I have to say I feel so much better!

Barbara

Edited by bz (04/30/04 06:46 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1950

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review