All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
How do you people keep gaining weight?
      #64953 - 04/26/04 07:11 PM
itsnotfair123

Reged: 04/23/04

Anyone can you please tell me how you can gain weight with IBS? I hear about how all of these people gain with IBS and I keep losing or maintaining my weight. That's why I'm having to eat trigger foods... Just to get fat so I'll gain weight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you people keep gaining weight? new
      #64954 - 04/26/04 07:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,
I too have been losing weight with IBS, but I had a bit to lose so it's ok
I wouldn't suggest eating trigger foods to help you gain weight, because if they cause D attacks you're likely to just end up actually losing because nothing is getting properly absorbed.
I know a lot of people can gain weight on this diet because once they get stable, their tummies feel much better and they can eat more and there are lots of good recipes here that are fairly high in calories.
Granted, they're not as high in fat, but if you're getting a lot of calories that should still do the trick. Maybe go through the desserts on the site and pick out some you think look good and try those?
Good luck!
Kelly

#64956 - 04/26/04 07:25 PM
itsnotfair123

Thanks. I wish I could do what everyone is saying but my parents and doctors won't let me have low fat foods and it kills my stomach.

#64958 - 04/26/04 07:28 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Why won't your parents and doctors let you have low fat foods? And what do you mean when you say it kills your stomach? The low-fat or the high-fat foods?

Alot of the things you can make yourself, and they don't really need to have any special low-fat ingredients. I just recently made some chewy chocolate cookies and they are great, they have no fat, but they do have calories! Here's the recipe if you'd like: http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=61564&page=&view=&sb=5&o=

What about eating foods that are high in good fats? Like salmon, almonds, other nuts, things like that? I find them pretty easy to tolerate with a good soluble fiber base, and that way you're getting fat as well...

#64961 - 04/26/04 07:31 PM
itsnotfair123

The high-fat foods hurt my stomach. The doctors are just so deperate for me to gain weight and have fat in my diet. They say fat is only what will make me gain weight but that's not true!!!!! My parents are just doing what the doctor says. And the say I have to gain weight fast. Almonds I eat at least 20 of a day for fat. I also like Sushi.

#64994 - 04/27/04 05:43 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

how underweight are you? are your doctors concerned you have an eating disorder? have you shown them Heather's book? you can gain weight without eating trigger foods. no doctor should be recommending high fat foods for weight gain, nor should a doctor be recommending GI triggers to an IBS patient. you have been officially diagnosed with IBS, right? have you had a colonoscopy and stool test and bloodwork done?

you can go to the health food store and get a soy protein powder that can be mixed it in smoothies and other drinks. those have a nice amount of calories and no dairy. if you drink one of those in the morning and one in the afternoon, you will be adding a lot of calories safely. add soy milk and/or yogurt and fresh or canned fruit. (i make it even more safe by adding in my acacia) you can snack on safe cereals, as well. have a soy yogurt as a little snack. aim for 5 small mini-meals a day with plenty of protein.

gaining weight is simple math, just as losing weight is. you need to eat more foods that are safe to raise the amount of calories you are taking in. can your doctor recommend a dietician? (if so, make sure you take Heather's books to the appointment) it's inexcusible for a doctor to be forcing anyone to eat foods that are making them sick, but i feel like there must be more to the story here...

how old are you, by the way?

--------------------

#65304 - 04/27/04 02:18 PM
itsnotfair123

I'm not going to list my age, but I am EXTREMELY underweight (40 or 30 lbs) and they keep bringing up Anorexia Nervosa, which I don't have. Today my parents said that they are going to buy me glazed Donuts because I used to like them... HELLO? VERY BAAAD TRIGGER FOOD! I'm just going to have to deal with the pain because my parents and the doctors don't understand that IT'S ABOUT CALORIES NOT FAT! I don't want pain anymore...

#65309 - 04/27/04 02:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hope you read Jen's post - lots of important stuff there!

Please get your parents to either read Heather's book or log on here. We'd be glad to answer ANY questions they have and I'm sure it could put their minds at rest. And you Mum could have a look at our recipe board and Index to see we really are quite food orientated!

Why not print out some safe, but high cal recipes and ask your Mum to make them with you (good bonding exercise! ). Heather's Butternut Squash sauce with pasta is actually pretty high cal with the pasta and soy milk. And it's soooo yummy and nice to your tummy! And all the sweet stuff would be good. Anti-Depressant Brownies are awfully high-cal .

You need to keep some soluble fibre in your tummy at all times with IBS really. Tell your parents this. Get them to hassle you to eat a bread roll, bowl of noodles, sandwich, pasta, etc... every 2-3 hours and you'll be eating so many calories. They must realise this! And it'll give them something to do so they feel like they can help!

Hope to hear from your parents! What's your name btw?

Parental worry new
      #65311 - 04/27/04 02:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

PS. If your parents don't feel like logging onto a public board, then they could email me. I went through hell trying to work out how to help myself with IBS (answer = Heather!) and I'd do anything to help your situation with your parents.

#65314 - 04/27/04 02:35 PM
itsnotfair123

That's the problem... I'm not really supposed to be talking to you guys I don't think. And even if I was, if they figured out that I was complaining to you and asking you for help, wouldn't they get mad at me?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review