Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
5 days is too long
      #64947 - 04/26/04 06:38 PM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

I have been on the diet for about 10 days and on acacia
for about 4. I have not had a bm in 5 days....what should I do? I have to take a laxative or enema or something?
Maybe eating too many soluble foods? I have tried to add
some insoluble the last couple of days but was in so much pain the last 3 weeks I didn't want to overdo it. Any advice would be appreciated. I am taking 1 tsp 2x a day of the acacia.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

i agree with you! new
      #65003 - 04/27/04 06:12 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Quote:

Maybe eating too many soluble foods?

i don't think so... i bet your body needs more soluble fiber, not less.

1 tsp of acacia twice a day is a low dose. Heather's instructions on soluble fiber supplements say to take more than that. in fact, she says:

Quote:

If you're not currently taking a soluble fiber supplement, begin with a low dose of Acacia fiber (try 1 level teaspoon twice daily) and gradually increase....
Raise your Acacia fiber dosage level by 1 teaspoon at a time, every few days or every week, until your bowel function has stabilized. Diarrhea and spasms should resolve in just a few days, especially as you increase your fiber dose; constipation, particularly if it has been chronic and severe, may take several weeks. Try to gradually increase your Acacia Tummy Fiber until you're taking 12-15 grams daily (this is about 3 level tablespoons). It's always best to divide your daily dosage of Acacia Tummy Fiber into two or three doses (or even four), as the whole point of taking a soluble fiber supplement is to keep your gut filled with soluble fiber at all times.

source: Heather's Tummy Fiber Supplement Organic Acacia ~ How Does it Work?

i would recommend you add to your dose! hopefully you'll start feeling better soon... this could also explain why you say you've been in a lot of pain for the last 3 weeks. more soluble fiber will help fill your colon. once you're feeling a little better, it's really important to start adding the insolubles in, as you know! from what i've read, people with constipation seem to do better with a little more insoluble fiber than us Ders, so the faster you become pain-free and can carefully add some insoluble fiber, the better! (plus, the bonus of the no-pain! )

--------------------

Re: i agree with you! new
      #65008 - 04/27/04 06:18 AM
Sherbelle

Thanks so much for your help...I will try adding some insoluble but am eating a lot of soluble already. The reason I am only taking 1 tsp. 2 x a day is when I first started I took 2Tbsp. a day and had severe pain and bloating so was reprimanded for that! But I still need to know what to do if I don't have a bm.....wait it out or enema?

Re: 5 days is too long new
      #65019 - 04/27/04 06:30 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Ugh - that C is just such a pain!!! I feel for you! I found that when I started being very very regimented with my water intake and dranks TONS of peppermint tea that helped my C. I've been on this diet for a couple of months now I think and I'm also an IBS C. It took me quite a while (felt like forever) to get "stable" but I did notice that once I started counting my water intake and making sure I was eating lots of soluble fibre that helped A LOT.

I'd watch out for laxatives - I know how tempting it is but you may be able to manage it with other less tummy irritating ways...

I've also found recently that for me, Oat Bran cereal in the morning helps.

A woman at the health food store told me once that drinking a glass of warm water with lemon juice and a bit of cayenne (sounds yucky but you can put honey in it if you like! ) first thing in the morning half an hour before you eat breakfast will aid in digestion and therefore in your BM's. I saw that somewhere in the boards also.

If you do a search on poop on the boards there's lots of suggestions for going to the bathroom to get back on track...

Ana

oh, that's right!!!! new
      #65025 - 04/27/04 06:39 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

"reprimanded" is a little harsh, but i do remember now... we weren't reprimanding as we were warning you that we thought we figured out part of your problem!

did you wait 'til your tummy settled out before starting out again? by the way, i agree with you, adding the insoluble too quickly (or in too much of a quantity) isn't a good plan, especially if you're not feeling well already.

looks like you got some good advice from one of your fellow Cers.... i'd try that water/cayenne thing just out of curiousity! sounds strange but some home remedies are great and surprisingly successful. sorry i can't help more with the C.... the only fail-safe way i know to get things moving is a strong coffee and a cigarette, and i'd avoid that if i were you!

--------------------

Re: 5 days is too long new
      #65038 - 04/27/04 06:46 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Sherbelle, here are some very helpful posts that might help you get things moving again. Believe me, I know how you feel...

web page
web page

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: 5 days too long new
      #65073 - 04/27/04 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Do try to add in more insoluble fiber. I am also IBS C and if I eat too much soluble without enough insoluble, I get more C. Its not about cutting back the soluble, its about slowly increasing your insoluble fiber. Try some hummus and pita, or add some peas to a pasta salad, I can even do a small salad or raisin bran cereal once a week or so. Most people can't tolerate the salads or raisin bran but I find my body needs that much insoluble sometimes.

Exercise and lots, lots and lots of water.

If you need immediate relief, try a glycrein suppository. They don't give you the cramps and explosive D that regular laxatives do. They just stimulate you to go, I find they usually do the trick for me.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: 5 days is too long, To Kree new
      #65562 - 04/28/04 09:02 AM
Sherbelle

Thanks so much for the website. So nice and informative to read from people with just C. Very informative and useful.
Thanks again.

Re: 5 days too long - for Michelle new
      #65568 - 04/28/04 09:13 AM
Sherbelle

What is humus?? Suppositories don't work well for me..just get a small amount out and nothing else. I did try some
milk of magnesia and that worked pretty good! I really do have chronic C. Not much else works beside an enema or harsh lax. but am sticking to the diet and will up my acacia to from 1 tsp 2 x a day to 1 1/2 or 2 twice a day and will introduce more insoluble and see how that goes...thanks so much for your help..

Re: Hummus new
      #65588 - 04/28/04 09:46 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

The most popular food to emerge from the Mediterranean and Middle East regions is Hummus - an exotic blend of pureed chickpeas, lemon, sesame tahini, oil, and spices with added flavors such as roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, scallion and dill.

Hummus (pronounced Hum-es) is traditionally used as a dip with Pita bread, crackers or fresh cut veggies. Many people use hummus as a spread on sandwiches (instead of high cholesterol mayonnaise), as a topping on broiled fish or chicken, on baked potatoes instead of sour cream, or as the main ingredient in a vegetarian sandwich.

Hummus contains no saturated fat, no cholesterol or sugars and is high in protein and fiber. Unlike many foods that are good for you, hummus also tastes great. It is a perfect food for anyone who is concerned about eating well or who is on a low cholesterol diet and doesn't want to sacrifice flavor.

from http://www.ritefoods.com/hummus.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1357 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review