All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Peanut Butter
      #64707 - 04/26/04 07:26 AM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

I read that some nuts were safe to eat. Are peanut butter sandwiches okay to eat? I've been eating tomato (seedless) and chicken sandwiches but I'd like to try something different. I'm slowly incorporating the insoluble fiber back into my diet, and would like to try new things. Also, I'm allergic to seafood so I really can't eat fish or shrimp. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peanut Butter new
      #64710 - 04/26/04 07:46 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I don't know if I can offer any suggestions, but I happen to live mostly on PB&J sandwiches. I have at least 1 or two a day. sometimes more than one per meal. I know i'm almost out of college and I should grow up, but I can't!

#64712 - 04/26/04 07:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yay! I haven't had one of these since I started the diet and I LOVE them! Glad to hear I might be able to eat them again. Tho maybe that's not a good thing as they are CHOCKA with calories. Ah, well.

Everyone over here thinks I'm really weird eating PB&J! But I love it.

#64718 - 04/26/04 08:07 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Some people can handle PB and others can't. You have to watch out cause it's quite high in fat. I'll have some PB&J or PB and honey on toast every once and a while and I'll be ok. I'll usually buy the organic peanut butter.

#64763 - 04/26/04 09:47 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

They're okay - just make sure you only use a little because of the fat that can be a trigger. You can also use the reduced fat which can help also.

#64779 - 04/26/04 10:03 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I buy the organic kind and pour the extra oil off the top when I first open the jar.

When I make a sandwich I actually measure out 1/2 of a Tablespoon. This ends up only being 4 grams of fat - which for me is tolerable.

Leigh

#64854 - 04/26/04 02:11 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Personally I'm fine with it, I too eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches constantly I use about 2 tablespoons in a sandwich. I say try the reduced fat kind and see how that is.

--------------------
IBS-C

#64865 - 04/26/04 02:23 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I have peanut butter every day on a toasted waffle. Corny,huh! It is really good when it melts. You can put jelly on, too. It is one of the things that agrees with me and I am sticking to it. The only thing is I can't use peanut butter that has molasses in it . The one I buy is Peter Pan creamy.

Barbie

--------------------

Reduced fat JIF!!! YUMMY!! new
      #64884 - 04/26/04 02:45 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I use the JIF reduced fat peanut butter and love it! Its really good! Now regular peanut butter tastes weird to me!!! I have it everyday!!!

--------------------

Peanut Butter & Honey is THE BEST!!!!!!!! -nt- new
      #64931 - 04/26/04 05:10 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

#64938 - 04/26/04 05:47 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I've got a question - don't laugh!! What kind of bread do you eat PB&J on?? I'm still new at this and I've just been eating sourdough bread plain most of the time. I would kill for a PB&J!! Are there any "sandwich" white breads that are safe? Are we not supposed to eat wheat bread at all? Or just whole grain wheat? Is honey wheat ok? Sorry so many questions!

--------------------
~Cara~

#64972 - 04/26/04 08:42 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

I've got a question - don't laugh!! What kind of bread do you eat PB&J on?? I'm still new at this and I've just been eating sourdough bread plain most of the time. I would kill for a PB&J!! Are there any "sandwich" white breads that are safe? Are we not supposed to eat wheat bread at all? Or just whole grain wheat? Is honey wheat ok? Sorry so many questions!

Well it depends, some breads that say wheat are actually just refined flour with dark coloring, to make it look like it's whole grains. The best way is to check the ingrediants, and to see if there's fiber in it(if there is, be careful). Personally I just use plain white bread like Wonder, or the store brand kind. This past time I got this stuff that's low calorie but has soy fiber in it...not sure how it is yet.

--------------------
IBS-C

#64988 - 04/27/04 05:23 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Ok maybe I'll try that! But doesn't some list say not to eat Wonder bread? Or is that just when you're having attacks?

--------------------
~Cara~

#65029 - 04/27/04 06:40 AM
Lilybear

i'm using plain white bread or plain bagels. i use to eat multi-grain, but i'm not sure now. i do eat sourdough pretzels. i hear honey is okay. the white bread i use to get had butter, but i'm trying to find just a plain one. hope other answer your question too. good luck!

#65032 - 04/27/04 06:42 AM
Lilybear

Thank you for letting me know which to use:) I will pick up some waffles and Peter Pan creamy on my next grocery visit. Have a nice day:)

#65033 - 04/27/04 06:43 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm so envious of all you people who can enjoy peanut butter. There's something about peanuts that has bothered me ever since developing IBS... I just can't seem to eat any peanut products. But the good thing to come out of this is that I make a mean soynut butter and jelly sandwich! Had one yesterday, as a matter of fact.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Reduced fat JIF!!! YUMMY!! new
      #65034 - 04/27/04 06:44 AM
Lilybear

Thanks StephS!!! I look forward to having peanut butter with my sandwiches now:)

Re: Soynut butter new
      #65039 - 04/27/04 06:49 AM
Lilybear

I'm sorry you can't enjoy peanuts or peanut butter:( Soynut butter? Wow! I must find a health food store around my area!! I've only gone to Farm Fresh (east coast) bcos they are the only one near me with soy products. It made me so happie to go there and see that they support this lifestyle. I tried looking online for healthfood stores near me, but couldn't find it. Maybe the yellow pages can give me something. I'm somewhat new to this diet so its really exciting for me to try these new products. I bought a soy yogurt (mango & peaches) the other day & it was yummy. I liked it better than regular yougurt. Have a good day:)

#65043 - 04/27/04 06:52 AM
Lilybear

Thanks fishnets for your reply:) I will try out the reduced fat type. I'm glad to be eating peanut butter again. I have a recipe for a peanut butter banana milkshake. Maybe I should post it?

#65045 - 04/27/04 06:53 AM
Kree

Yep, soynut butter! This is the brand I buy... I get the one at the far left. I also have the chocolate one on the right and use that as a little treat now and then!

IM Healthy

It tastes a lot like PB, but with a slightly different taste. I actually enjoy it, though... and it's a little bit lower in fat than PB. Not much, but a little.

I agree, it's fun trying all sorts of new products. So what brand was this mango and peaches soy yogurt?? That sounds amazing!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#65046 - 04/27/04 06:53 AM
Lilybear

Thank you Leigh for your peanut butter tips, and for posting your recommnedations on good fast food places to eat on the west coast. Its very helpful to me:)

#65052 - 04/27/04 06:59 AM
Lilybear

Thanks Kree for posting the link to where I can buy the soynut butter:) You know before IBS, I would not drink soy milk. My Mom bought it all the time (she loves it) and would get me to drink it. But I always felt safe with dairy bcos I grew up with it. But now, no dairy and soy is really in my diet. I just got the soy yogurt from the fridge, & sorry it is apricot and mango by Silk. I tried going to other grocery stores (3 others) and they do not have soy products. I hope you are able to find it in your area:) I like the flavor it tastes great.

#65053 - 04/27/04 07:01 AM
Lilybear

Thanks for your response Mags. I am gonna try some soon. And I must remember about portions. Sometimes I forget that less is better. Have a great day!

#65054 - 04/27/04 07:02 AM
Lilybear

Organic peanut butter with honey? Sounds great! Can't wait to try it & Thanks for your reply:)

#65057 - 04/27/04 07:04 AM
Lilybear

Hi Rosie,
I loved PB&J sandwiches as a kid. My Mom would make them for me to bring to school for lunch. They are great & healthy. Hee hee you don't have to grow up-- if you enjoy it & it makes you happie, then why not? Have a good day!

#65059 - 04/27/04 07:05 AM
Lilybear

Hi Linz,
Everyone here has been really great with their suggestions of organic, reduced fat, soynut butter. Hope you can try the sandwiches now:)

#65065 - 04/27/04 07:26 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I think I will always love them. I always eat them on toast. Throughout my whole braces ordeal, many times they were the only thing soft enough! I've eaten so many! In fact I just finished one for breakfast.

#65560 - 04/28/04 08:59 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Rosie,
Loved your post. I'm FIFTY and still eat PBJ regularly. My mom's 77 and so does she! So I'm not sure growing up has anything to do with it!! he he

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Type of bread for your PB new
      #65611 - 04/28/04 10:39 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi cara, You were right, it said not to eat Wonder Bread but that is only because of the additives and preservatives. Here is the link: Soluble fibers
It tells you the kinds of breads to be using as well.

The key here is to look at the list of ingredients on the pkg. of bread. If it says "WHOLE wheat" flour don't buy it but if it says "wheat flour" you're ok. It is likely enriched with all the vits and minerals you'd be getting if it used WHOLE wheat. Heather explains that some "wheat" bread is nothing more than white bread with coloring added. Again, you can tell by checking the ingredients. Best to stay with a simple bread like french where there is no (or very, very little ) fat and no dairy.

Hope this helps.
Kandee

--------------------

hey gr8ful, when do we get tosee a new puppydog? -nt- new
      #65647 - 04/28/04 11:33 AM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#65650 - 04/28/04 11:36 AM
LauraSue

Quote:

Ok maybe I'll try that! But doesn't some list say not to eat Wonder bread? Or is that just when you're having attacks?

Yes, you're right, Heather does say to buy something more nutritious than Wonder bread, for our general health. But it's not like Wonder bread is a trigger or anything. It certainly is better than not having any soluble fiber!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Type of bread for your PB new
      #65653 - 04/28/04 11:40 AM
LauraSue

oh, Kandee, you beat me to it. I should have read the whole thread before I replied!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

apricot and mango by Silk new
      #65656 - 04/28/04 11:44 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

apricot and mango by Silk

had it yesturday for breakfast!! YUMMERS!! had peach today!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: apricot and mango by Silk new
      #65679 - 04/28/04 12:26 PM
Kree

Quote:

Quote:

apricot and mango by Silk

had it yesturday for breakfast!! YUMMERS!! had peach today!

Oh baby... I have to look for this... drool.

--------------------

#65688 - 04/28/04 12:53 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I do the same thing as you Leigh, pour off the extra oil........but lately I've gone to Trader Joe's Sunflower seed butter............OMG is is good and almost tastes like PB. You can't pour off any extra oil but if you take it easy on the amount it seems to be ok, at least for me.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: hey gr8ful, when do we get tosee a new puppydog? -nt- new
      #65730 - 04/28/04 03:05 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Hi Laura,

Here it is...

#65739 - 04/28/04 03:18 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

quick, somebody call 9-1-1 because I am gonna die laughing!!

#65743 - 04/28/04 03:33 PM
LauraSue

DITTO re 911!!!! ROFLMBO!!!!

Thanks, Leigh, that made my day!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9132

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review