All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help please with D
      #64234 - 04/23/04 11:49 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok, I could really use some suggestions as I've been having a really rough couple of days. I have had severe D since coming back from my barium x-ray, and it's been continuing for more than 24-hours now and nothing seems to stop it. I can't sleep, I can't eat, and it's very painful.
I've called my doctors and they just said to keep drinking and told me I can't take any medicine to stop it (i.e. immodium, lomotil etc) because if there is still barium in my system it needs to get out. I can understand that, but I can't even function right now, I had to call in sick to work and can barely make it for 20 minutes without running to the bathroom.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've been drinking tea (both peppermint and fennel) and I was thinking maybe the equalactin might help...but I can't really think of anything else, and I am starting to feel really hungry and dehydrated even though I'm trying to drink.
Anyways, any help would be great...hope everyone is having a good day!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Kel new
      #64259 - 04/23/04 12:18 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm sorry you're feeling ill...

i have no suggestions except to tell you to try to sleep if you can... sometimes that helps or at least gives you a little break!

--------------------

Re: Help please with D new
      #64264 - 04/23/04 12:23 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Poor Kelly....*HUGS*

It sucks you're feeling so horrible!! I agree with Jen though...try to sleep it off if you can....

I'd also suggest trying a heating pad...that might help take away some of the cramping and pain...

Feel better soon!!!

#64316 - 04/23/04 01:24 PM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Geez you have had a rough time with that test! I would call them up again BEFORE the weekend and tell them in EXCRUCIATING DETAIL what you are going thru. Particularly the D every 20 minutes and get very specific advice about what to do. Fluids would be very important at this point I would think to avoid dehydration. Call them soon and update us over the weekend. I would not have that second test done any time soon, you will be too weak from this.

Take care and we are pulling for you.

Cindy

#64321 - 04/23/04 01:50 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I agree totally on the excruciating detail part. They "want the barium to get out," well, it doesn't sound like you're in any immediate danger of retaining anything for a while, eh? I'd first call 'em back up and second eat an Imodium. Or tell 'em you're going to eat Imodium and see what they say. Don't let this go too long, you don't want to get totally wrung out and exhausted, and it sounds like you could ..... and of course KEEP PUTTING THE FLUIDS DOWN!!

#64342 - 04/23/04 04:26 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Eat some fat free crackers and fat free chicken broth.
As long as your drinking plenty of water and tea etc. The equalactrin shouldn't hurt. Most persons that have a barium enima?? or a abdominal ct scan were the solution is involved react this way, for us the IBS'ers we get much worse. Keep up the tea, how about some chamomile? Also try red raspberry tea it could help the D. Take your probiotics?? If your not try the jarro-dophilus brand it's great. Eat some bananas in small amount smushed up. Have angel food cake anything that is soluble and feel better soon!! Sleep, work can wait, try to focus relaxation and focus your mind on the time you felt great. BIG HUGS!!!!
Sherri

#64439 - 04/24/04 12:54 PM
tiredofibs

Reged: 10/16/03
Loc: NC

Phew! That sounds rough. I'd call the doctore back to if having to remain in the bathroom any longer b/c no one can function like that. I know from experience that even when you want to sleep, you can't b/c you have to be in the bathroom like forever, right? And for me it's very hard to drink anything in that condition. Equalactin works for me and if all else fails, you should take two of them. The barium may be out of your system by now.

Feel better, love and hugs, Anna

#64453 - 04/24/04 01:46 PM

Unregistered

My docotor always told me if I want to naturally stop D to eat lots ofr banana's. And since it's a soluable fiber it should be okay for you but make sure you are drinking something lik Gastrolyte!!!

#64457 - 04/24/04 01:50 PM

Unregistered

Complementary and Alternative Therapies

Work with your provider to find remedies that are right for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutrition

Avoid coffee, chocolate, dairy products, strong spices, and solid foods. Introduce clear soup, crackers, white bread, rice, potatoes, applesauce, and bananas as diarrhea gets better.
Rice or barley water, fresh vegetable juices (especially carrot and celery), miso broth, or other clear broths help restore proper fluid and electrolyte balance. Make rice and barley water using 1 cup of raw grain to 1 quart of boiling water. Let steep for 20 minutes. Strain and drink throughout the day.
Lactobacillus taken as powder or in capsules helps normalize bowel flora and may help cure your diarrhea. Take as directed.
Glutamine (3,000 mg three times per day) is helpful in treating diarrhea that is caused by irritation of the intestinal lining rather than infection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herbs

Do not use herbs to treat diarrhea without talking to your health care provider first. If your diarrhea is caused by certain types of infections, herbal treatments could make it worse. The most common herbal remedies for diarrhea are described below. They are best used as teas unless otherwise noted. Teas should be made with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 to 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 to 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 to 4 cups per day.

Swelling reducers:

Quercetin (250 to 500 mg two to four times per day)
Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
Marshmallow root (Althea officinalis) as cold-water tea. Soak 2 tbsp. root in 1 quart of water overnight. Strain; drink throughout the day.
Infection fighters:

Barberry (Berberis vulgaris) 250 to 500 mg three times per day
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) 250 to 500 mg three times per day
Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Do not take if you have high blood pressure.
Antidiarrheal herbs:

Blackberry leaf (Rubus fruticosus) or raspberry leaf (Rubus idaeus) 1 heaping tsp. per cup. Drink ½ cup per hour.
Carob powder; use 4 tsp. per 4 oz. of water or mix in applesauce. Take ½ to 1 tsp. every 30 to 60 minutes.
Slippery elm powder (Ulmus fulva) or marshmallow root powder (Althaea officinalis); use 1 oz. powder to 1 quart of water. Make a paste with the powder and a small amount of water. Gradually add in the rest of the water and then simmer down to 1 pint. Take 1 tsp. every 30 to 60 minutes.

This is taken from www.umm.edu which is a site used by pharmasists.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 922 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review