All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for the girls!???
      #62402 - 04/18/04 11:38 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Have any of you found that drinking peppermint tea helps with monthly cramps?? I was hoping it does! I just recently started drinking peppermint tea a couple weeks ago and I know that tomorrow I am gonna have cramps Maybe it can help! I would love any other advice you guys have besides tea too! Im usually miserable! Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for the girls!??? new
      #62405 - 04/19/04 12:15 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello!
I never noticed if it helped my period cramps specifically, although it is an anti-spasmodic so it should, and nice hot tea I've always found to be helpful.
Other than that, the usual always helps me, painkillers, heating pad etc. One thing I've been trying recently that someone recommended was taking Omega 3 fish oil around my period (I actually take it all the time now) because it's an anti-inflammatory and can help with pain, so that's something you could try.
Good luck!
Kelly

#62407 - 04/19/04 03:55 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've actually red before that drinking peppermint tea can help menstrual cramps because it was a natural antispasmodic.

Unfortunately, my cramps laugh at the idea of banishing them away with peppermint tea. I have to break out the Midol and the heating pad. But, I like to sip on the tea also.

Three words for you: HOT WATER BOTTLE! -nt- new
      #62414 - 04/19/04 05:04 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

#62447 - 04/19/04 07:17 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are the best!

#62485 - 04/19/04 07:59 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

CHAMOMILE!!It works wonders for me. I make it extra strong.
I get cramps so bad it's like having a baby. Chamomile and pepermint combo is just as effective. You can Red Raspberry tea to it can help with cramps. Make a combo Peppermint/Chamomile and Fennel you'll kick the cramps, bloating and gas all at once. I too already getting ready for this week and I start my combo beore it hits. Chamomile relaxes the ovaries and uteral walls. Peppermint helps the swelling and cramping as well the digestion, Fennel gasss.
Hope you don't do to bad this week.
Sherri

#62554 - 04/19/04 10:05 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't find that peppermint tea specifically helps wth cramps, but I do find it calming so I drink it all the time anyway, for all kinds of cramps. I also find mixing it with cammomile usually hits the spot (plus some Motrin and a hot water bottle for those killer mutant cramps )

I know there have been posts about this before, but my IBS gets sooo bad right around (usually just before) my period - as in, right now. It's especially annoying this time because I just finished a round of 'attacks' and was getting back on to a normal diet again. Do you girls usually follow the all-soulble-fiber route during attacks during that time of the month (i.e. what to eat when you can't eat anything else)? does that even help with all the hormones rushing around? Just wondering, because I work so hard to get my diet stabilized then bam! D AND a period (could it be worse?) Thanks!

#62635 - 04/19/04 01:00 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just a reminder to all that aspirin and ibuprofen and all the NSAID's can be a trigger -- they are very tough on the tummy. I currently have a prescription for something called Ultracet, which is tramadol and acetominaphin (sp), which is for my fibromyalgia pain but helps my menstrual cramps too. But if I were still taking Aleve, I would definitely have to be taking Imodium with it as a preventive.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#62658 - 04/19/04 02:00 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hey ab, during that time, I usually just pop that tylenol, and it keep me pain aka cramp free. THe only other advice i can give it to use a heating pad. I beleive thermacare makes one that is portable...neat!

Re: Tea and cramps new
      #62676 - 04/19/04 03:29 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Peppermint tea is pretty good for LEG cramps, but it's not so effective on menstrual cramps. Yarrow tea, however, will ELIMINATE menstrual cramps. Read about it here.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review