All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Frazzled new diagnosee seeking similar friends?!
      #622 - 02/10/03 08:13 AM
UKKath

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Britain

I chose a little Gremlin yellow man who looks like a frazzled head as that is what i feel like! I have just been diagnosed with IBS with predominant diorreah (which i can't even spell!!!) and associated stress/emotional problems (cause or symptom not sure!) just looking for someone out there to chat to about it who knows how i feel, most people seem to be predominantly constipated on this page?!!
Kathryn
PS Heathers books are great, i hope you have all bought them?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frazzled new diagnosee seeking similar friends?! new
      #624 - 02/10/03 09:52 AM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi Kathryn,

I do know haw you feel, as I am also IBS-D! I am doing quite a bit better right now after years of major problems. I also have a lot of anxiety both as a cause and effect of IBS. It is a vicious circle because anxiety is a powerful trigger of symptoms and also a reaction to those symptoms. I can tell you what I currently do to help my symptoms and hope that maybe something will be beneficial to you!
For the anxiety, I take 2 tablets of SAM-E (S-adenosylmethionine) each morning on an empty stomach with a bit of water, along with my synthroid as I am also hypo-thyroid. SAM-E is available in stores.
I take plant-based digestive enzymes with each meal to help with digestion.
I take 2 tablets of Fibercon (actually I use cheaper store brands) before lunch and dinner for soluble fiber, as well as follow Heather's eating advise. I previously tried Citracel which made my diarrhea worse, and Metamucil which only helped a little and made me more bloated, so for me, the Fibercon (calcium polycarbophil) has made a huge difference in firming up my BMs, and I used to have around 5-10+ a day, and now I have 2-4!!
I also have a prescription for sublingual levsin, which in the beginning I needed a few times everyday, but now I only take it occasionally as a precaution when I have to go somewhere and am anxious about making it through an event!
I drink lots of herbal tea, peppermint after lunch, and peppermint chamomile after dinner, and my new favorite in the morning is Celestial Seasonings decaf Original Chai with a little soy milk added.
I hope this has been some help, I realize everyone is different and needs to be treated individually, but these things have helped me alot!
Mary Kay

#646 - 02/10/03 10:40 PM
paintlady

Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi Frassled,
I've had IBS-D for 25 yrs. Some were real nightmare ones. So glad to have this site. My tips: Imodium helps me leave the house, when I must be somewhere and can't stay home. Oyster shell calcium 600mg (with vitamin D) 3 times a day with meals helps me. Luckily I like soy milk, rice, french bread,cooked veggies and fish. Sure miss fresh crunchy veggies and fruit though. Bananas everyday (glad I don't get tired of them) If you mash one in a bowl it tastes like rich pudding. Meditation and Journaling (writing out my troubles) saves my sanity. Remember to be kind to yourself.
Your IBS buddy, paintlady

#654 - 02/11/03 08:18 AM
Nugget

Hang in there, Kathryn....
I am an IBS-D sufferer, too. For the better part of 35 years now. Have just in the past few years, however, become aware of how to control it. Imodium has been a lifesaver for me as well as many others on this board. I use the chewable tablets. The directions on the box say not to take more than 4 per day so I don't leave the house without 4 in my pants pocket. That way they are handy when I am in a restroom if I need them. Usually if needed I can make it with only taking 2. I drink lots of water and try to eat all the right foods, but occasionally I am a bad girl and allow myself something I'm not supposed to have...of course, then I pay for it the next day. I try to control my anxiety by writing poetry, crafting, walking and yoga.

Take care and come in here often...I just recently found this place!

Nugget

#693 - 02/11/03 07:56 PM
dondonb90

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi, I just found out I have IBS, too. Your post was funny. I'm not sure about how this goes, so forgive me for breaking any e-mail rules. I'm not a computer person. Do you know if there is a list of foods to look at, like sugar how much, stuff like that. Thanks I have the other problem from you. Can't go enough. You must be thin with that kind of a problem. At least what goes in comes out. I worry about going out to eat and not having to double over. You look all nice and your feeling good and the whole time your thinking what an I going to eat that won't kill me. Or are your friend going to be embrass because you need all the special stuff. Waiter do u prepare pasta wth oil or butter r sorry cant have the oil or the cheese, Life stinks

#702 - 02/12/03 01:48 AM
UKKath

Hey, everyone, i am having a fragile, emotional day today as i was off work with my IBS yesterday and was a struggle to come in today. The first thing i did was see if anyone had replied to my message and you guys nearly made me cry (would have if wasnt at work!!!), is so nice to not feel so alone!
Not sure how to reply to everyone at once but here goes, please feel free to read/reply to everyones!! ...
Dondonb90 - i found this page from Heather's book "first year IBS" have you read it as it seems to have the food lists you are after? Luckily i have some great friends who would never take notice of me making a fuss in a restuarant, hope you can explain things to your mates too? My problem with going out is that i get really tired (stress, not sleeping, food going right through!) by the time i am all dressed up and ready to go i need a nap!!! Only 7st4 at the moment so pretty thin!!
Nugget - I have been very lucky to have had a GP right behind me from the beginning (i cant imagine having IBS for 35years and only just gaining some control, hell?!) she has given me Lopermide which is good, sent me to a consultant for a colonoscopy and a phychologist too. Psychologist seems to be helping but only had two sessions, so still feeling left on my own a lot, trying yoga for the first time tonight so i'll let you know how it goes?! Walking, a good book and a warm bath seem to be good to, do you find the same?
Paintlady - Have just started on Heather's diet, luckily i like a lot of the foods too, not soy or rice milk though unfortunately so am trying low fat milk for now, hardest thing is missing cheese and chocolate, but i am well aware that they make exorphins, like feel-good endorphine when we exercise, when digested so they are just plain mean foods!
MaryKay - Hi! aah, the vicious circle of anxiety, something i am getting to know well! I have not been prescribed anything for anxiety, just seeing the psychologist but early days yet as i said. medical peeps keep talking about anti-depressants for it but i am really against them as part of my problem is not feeling in control and i dont like the idea of anti-depressants controlling me, sound right? i spoke to my GP yesterday about Soluble fibre supppliments, but she didnt seem impressed and said they might make it worse, maybe you could explain more about them?
Anyway guys, lovin you all
Kathryn
PS Where in the World are you?!

#710 - 02/12/03 06:51 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kathryn - I really "feel" for you, although I'm mostly G (gas) with mild C. Anyway, if a doc doesn't seem right for you, go to another. Some are not very responsive to a woman's complaints and think these are head problems. Anyway, I'm supposed to have a colonoscopy soon (I keep putting it off because I don't like IV's), but I'm going to have to succumb really soon. My husband is starting to sleep in another room because he can't stand the "aroma" emanating from this gas-filled body of mine!

Truly you are not alone--some of us have it worse than others w/physical symptoms. I'm doing a little sleuthing with my OTC meds and found methylcellulose in about 5 of them and just posted to Heather if she thought it might be one of my culprits.

As far as weight goes, I'm on the opposite end. Don't know how thin you are because I don't know the UK equivalent of lbs vs. stones. So how much is 7s4?

As far as antidepressants go, if my husband didn't take them, he wouldn't be able to function (he's bi-polar). Seems the older he gets (he's 57 now), the worse it gets leaning toward the lower end (depression). So, don't poo-poo antidepressants. But, looking at it from another point of view, maybe you're just down because of what's happening to you and wouldn't need the a-d if you were feeling better physically. It's like a vicious circle of events, and I don't like it any more than you or anyone else. Maybe HEATHER could help you out mental-wise. Just a suggestion.
Good luck and welcome to our "family".

Sharon (in California USA)

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#712 - 02/12/03 07:03 AM
UKKath

Thank you for welcoming me to the "family" i have felt surprisingly better knowing i have contact with other people with similar problems, another one of Heather's great suggestions!!! (Except you suggested Heather might be able to help me herself and i don't know how to contact her directly?)
Lukily i have a partner who is happy to laugh at my gas as much as i am!!!
I think 7st4 is about 46kg, according to an online weight converter but dunno if that sounds right?!!!
Anyway...thankyou for understanding my vicious circle and please keep in touch?
Kathryn

#714 - 02/12/03 08:10 AM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Hi again Kathryn,

Soluble fiber is VERY important for helping with your IBS-D! Soluble fiber helps with both diarrhea and constipation. For diarrhea, it absorbs excess fluid in your intestines and forms a gel that firms up your BMs and gives your intestines some bulk to fill them up and slow them down. I was very hesitant to try fiber for diarrhea because I always thought that fiber was just for constipation. But believe me, it does wonders, just start out gradually. Heather explains it all in her book and on her website.

http://www.eatingforibs.com/eatcook.htm

Don't get too discouraged, things will get better! If you really work on modifying your diet and start seeing things change for the better, your positive outlook will greatly help your anxiety!!

I've definitely been there!
Mary Kay

#715 - 02/12/03 08:18 AM
UKKath

Hi Mary Kay
Nice to hear from you again, and thanx for your advice, i am certinly going to look into soluble fibre, maybe its just the suplement i need?! Thanx for the words of encouragement on the diet too, i've not much willpower and is just what i need, my partner is great but doesnt want to nag me so your sentiments are spot on!
Take care and keep in touch,
Kathryn

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6842

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review