All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Best soluble fiber?
      #61283 - 04/14/04 08:01 PM
Carol D.

Reged: 03/26/04

Hi all,

Which is the best of the soluble fibers: Equalactin, Citrucel, or the acacia that Heather recommends?

I'm really afraid to try these because I'm afraid that it'll make the D worse!

Thanks,
Carol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best soluble fiber? new
      #61320 - 04/15/04 04:23 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

I'm on the hunt for the best one too. I'm D, and I've tried psyllium and acacia. It sounds like which fiber supplements will work for you is really personal and can only be determined by trial and error, but my experience was that the psyllium gives me bloating and some gas, while the accacia actually made me C and gave me the smelliest gas ever (sorry to be graphic!). As I am around people all day the side effects from the psyllium are more acceptable, even though it doesn't control my D as well. I'm on the hunt for Citrucel but have been to a dozen pharmacies and can't find any. Mags says it works better for her.
My advice- just try different ones. And, honestly, it will make your D much better!

#61460 - 04/15/04 11:00 AM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Can't find citrucel? Where do you live?? Maybe you can order online?

citrucel online new
      #61463 - 04/15/04 11:01 AM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

here ya go
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=7248&aid=335972&aparam=citrucel

straight methylcellulose? new
      #61667 - 04/15/04 06:51 PM
LauraS

Thanks for the info Pearlmaj. Long story short, I'm in Canada, and kind find a damn thing except for metamucel or Prodiem (which has sugar or aspartame, neither of which I can handle). So I got fed up, hunted on-line for a couple of hours, and found a Canadian Health food company that sells methylcellulose for gluten free baking. (That's the main ingredient in Citrucel). I ordered some, and I'm gonna try it. Anyone else ever tried straight methylcellulose as a fiber supplement?

Re: straight methylcellulose? new
      #61723 - 04/16/04 03:56 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

LauraS - wow, you really hunted that stuff down, huh? LOL That's so interesting - I've never heard of that. Let us know how it works. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it works!

#61724 - 04/16/04 04:00 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Carol - unfortunately everyone is SO different when it comes to which SFS works for them. Some will swear by one, while it won't do squat for another. The only sure thing we do know is that Metamucel seems to cause the most gas & bloating out of all of them.

I'd start with either Citrucel or acacia, because the powders are easier to get more fiber than the pills. The pills are handy though when you're out and about and need some SF. You can easily mix and match.

Don't be afraid of them making D worse. Just start off really slow with the one you pick and you should be fine.

#61728 - 04/16/04 04:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Carol, I'd try the Acacia first and its seems to be pretty gentle and more people tolerate it. Also, you can have it in any drink (or oatmeal) so you don't have to get used to the taste or anything. A soluble fibre supplement will really HELP your D - it def. has mine. Just don't up your dose too fast.

I'll let you know if it works!-nt- new
      #61731 - 04/16/04 04:29 AM
LauraS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1376

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review