All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone here with severe IBS?
      #60874 - 04/13/04 05:24 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I was wondering if anywhere here has IBS because I haven't talked to anyone that has severe IBS like me. Mine is so severe I can't work so I have to be on disability. That's how bad it is. I have many severe symtoms. I am doing so many things to get stable but nothing helps alot. I'm drinking strong peppermint tea, eating beano, eating crystallized ginger, taking Dicetel, eating Altoids, working out, etc. Everything it says to do on this site. Everything I do only helps a little and I'm going crazy. It's so horrible and I have no idea what to do. It's so bad I'd rather be dead. I can hardly eat so I'm hardly getting any calories each day since I can only eat a very small amount of food only because my water retention and gas is so severe. So I'm not getting enough vitamins and minerals. I'm so bloated and full constantly. It's so painful. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Is there anything left to do even? Thanks. I can really use the help. I'm miserable.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone here with severe IBS? new
      #60902 - 04/13/04 07:55 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

Hang in there Angel!

There is a section on this website about what to eat when nothing else is working. Try eating those items exclusively for a few days to get under control.

I will pray for you,
Leigh

#60958 - 04/14/04 06:32 AM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

hi angel,
i'm sorry you are having a hard time:( i used to have C, but now i have D. D is tougher for me to have bcos i could control C. its difficult for me to do things too bcos of the symptoms (i have more now with D). like the suggestion: try stablizing your body with the diet and "what to eat when you can't eat." have you tried emailing heather about this? can you see a GI doc or nutritionist? i know it can be really tough but just take it one moment or day at a time. try the list of what to eat, and bananas and mangoes and oatmeal help me. apple sauce and bagels are good too. have you gotten the book? i am trying to follow that. i have good hours and tough hours in the day. if you are having specifc symptoms and want advice for it: post the symptoms and maybe others can offer advice. keep us updated & hope you have a good day and feel better.
*lilybear

#60961 - 04/14/04 06:33 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh Angel...I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad!! I know what it feels like to have tried everything and nothing seems to work...

It sounds like you're on the right track though...it just may take a little patience and persistence before you see some improvement.

How long have you been on Dicetel?? I took it for about a month and it did nothing to help me. I've just started another antispasmodic called Modulon (and I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it'll work)...I've been on it for 2 days now and this morning my stomach was a little grumbly and after I took it...no more grumble...so maybe that's a good sign that it might be working!!

Hang in there....even though it seems impossible right now...this too shall pass....

Have you thought about getting the hypno tapes?? I hear they're really awesome and have helped lots of people.

Keep us posted on how you're doing...

#61016 - 04/14/04 09:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try adding fennel to your peppermint tea to help control the bloating. Also, don't work-out too hard - you don't want to stress your body out even more. Be gentle on yourself. Maybe switch to yoga? Remember that IBS meds are very personal - if something's not working for you, try something else. It takes a while to work out what works for YOUR body.

Good luck. We're here for you.

#61022 - 04/14/04 09:29 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi,
Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry that you are feeling so poorly! I know what it feels like to get into the mindset that you'd do anything to not have to deal with the pain of IBS anymore. It sounds like are doing all the right things, and finding this website might really help. I agree with the others, your body might be taking a while to stabalize if you have just started.
I just wanted to send you my sympathies, and wish you good luck. I hope you find some good information here and you get some relief.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Hi. and WELCOME! new
      #61092 - 04/14/04 11:50 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

OK, here's my advice, for what it's worth.

first, in case you were wondering, yes, i had severe IBS. i was out of work a lot last year and my doctor said he had never seen anyone with such a severe case. note that i said i had severe IBS... this diet helped me stabilize and i have only minor minor little blips in the program now!

OK... you mentioned the things you're doing to get it under control, but i don't see where you say which soluble fiber supplement you're taking?? if you've been on one for a while and you're still miserable, switch it. as i've said a million times on the boards (some people are probably sick of hearing me say it!), i didn't get any relief 'til i tried the acacia. it's not terribly expensive and Heather ships it out fast... if you're as sick as you sound, you've got nothing to lose!

second tip: until you're stable, you need to stick to what to eat when you can't eat anything. i was on it for a while... i would try to add other foods in, have a backslide, go back to the what to eat's, repeat....

tip #3: try hypnosis.

tip #4: try the yoga poses that help alleviate the symptoms you're experiencing.

tip #5: see if you can get your hands on some loose fennel. take about 1 TBSP and put it in a tea strainer. poor boiling water over it. swirl in some honey or some stevia or toss in some cardamom if you have any. see if that helps the bloating. i think it will. if you like it, order some, bulk, from Heather.

it wasn't 'til i integrated all of these suggestions that i got relief. and now i consider myself an IBS survivor! like alcoholics in recovery believe they will always be alcoholics 'til they die, i believe i will always be susceptible to IBS, but by following my rules (Heather's guidelines), i have gone into recovery.

good luck!

--------------------

For jenX, Thanks. new
      #61205 - 04/14/04 03:40 PM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

congratulations jen that you have gone into recovery!! and thanks for keeping on posting your experiences and advice, it really helps us newbies. with the diet thing, i've just started. i had a few good days with the "what to eat..." and then the symptoms came back. so i just need to repeat everything until i find a natural groove? i hope to become a survivor one day too! you said you had a doctor visit the other day that you brought lots of info. to-- how'd it go? hope all is well:)
*lilybear

#61217 - 04/14/04 04:40 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. I am pretty new to these boards and like you are having quite a difficult time getting my symptoms under control and am completely unable to go to work currently. I went crazy from being so tired and feeling sick because I tried to eat as little food as possible for a while because it seemed the best idea. It wasn't until I started eating the proper foods(ok so I'm still trying to eat more...) in small amounts frequently. Me and french bread arelikethis now

I'm learning more and more what everyone has already said, fiber supplements are key. I bought the fennel tea and it really is helpful with bloating. The hypno cds seem to be great. I just started two days ago and found myself asleep half way through it last night!!! My entire body is usually one big stress ball now which makes my ibs so much worse. That was big for me to find something that gave me a release like that. I hope you find a solution soon.

-Megs

#61235 - 04/14/04 05:19 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I drink lots of fennel tea and I am listening to the hyp. tapes for the second time now. I do my best to not get stressed but it's really hard since most things don't work out for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8743

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review