All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this NORMAL?
      #6032 - 04/14/03 08:19 AM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

As I have said in an earlier post, I was just recently diagnosed with IBS (5 days ago). Anyway, I was feeling okay on Saturday, but yesterday and today I am feeling so nauseous. I mean, everytime I eat, Iwonder if I am going to be able to keep it down. Of course I have drastically changed my diet in the past couple of days so I'm hoping it's just me adjusting to this. My stomach is cramping again as well. I'm eating what I have been told, but I am just beyond uncomfortable right now. Please tell me this will pass, or how to make it go away. I am so thankful to have found this site.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this NORMAL? new
      #6034 - 04/14/03 08:23 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort! I get nauseated OFTEN and it will pass. Try ginger tea or crystallized ginger to settle the tummy. Also, some yoga poses will help with the nausea. Try "Child's pose" where you bend your knees and lean forward until your head touches the floor, or you can cross your hands and rest your head on them. BReathe deeply in and out of your nose for about 20 counts. This should help. Good luck!
-Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6040 - 04/14/03 09:17 AM
GEA

Reged: 04/06/03
Loc: San Diego, CA

Hi Canyon,
Welcome to our board! I am new around here too. It can get quite complicated to find one answer to something that seems fairly simple to most folks. I would suggest eating very small amounts at a time. Just eat more often and see if that helps. I wouldn't overtax my digestive system with too much food at one time right now. It could easily be just the change in diet. Changes like this can really get us very upset!
It could be that just one new thing that you have started to eat is giving you all kinds of grief. I changed my diet and added lots of peppermint tea and Altoids.. I was so sick to my stomach all the time. I discovered I can't take the peppermint, much to my surprise. Are you following Heather's guidelines for eating and taking Citracel or Metamucil? You kinda have to take a look at everything new in your diet, and then maybe stop it for a day or two and see if you feel better...
I am still working at finding out what works for me and what doesn't. I have learned to really pay attention to what my body does and how I feel with every little change. Everyone is different, so keep working at it and I am sure you will find what works for you!

--------------------
~GEA~

#6090 - 04/14/03 10:12 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Unfortunately many of us suffer nausea as a symptom of IBS that comes and goes.
To settle your stomach and eradicate the cramping I would stick to heather's list of what to eat when you can't eat anything at all. If I suffer an attack I usually stick to those foods for a couple of days at least.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Edited by KinOz (04/14/03 10:13 PM)

#6198 - 04/16/03 07:01 AM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

Well it is official. I can not keep anything down. I can't even keep water down. I have been eating exactly what I am supposed to. Does tea really help? Everyone at work keeps telling me to go to the doctor again, but I just hate taking medication. I'm going to try all of the teas that ya'll have suggested. If you have any other insight please let me know. This just isn't working out.

#6204 - 04/16/03 07:39 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

So sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I remember my days of nausea very well. I couldn't sleep without taking gravol for a couple of weeks. I don't think it was as bad as what you are describing, but have you tried gravol? Until your stomach gets back to feeling normal, I would give it a try. Ginger tea is also fabulous for nausea. I'm driking lemongrass and ginger tea right now and it's very good!!

Good luck and God Bless.

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6211 - 04/16/03 08:06 AM
Lorna

Quote:

Both ginger teas that I have are quite spicy (my mom bought them for me) and when they're gone, I think I'll stick to the mint or fennel flavored teas. But candied ginger does work against nausea--my family has always used it--we've not had a bottle of Pepto-Bismol in the house ever.

The above was taken from the IBS recipe exchange board. It is a quote from TessLouise. I have no idea what candied ginger is, but maybe this will help your nausea??

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6216 - 04/16/03 08:14 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

THe crystallized ginger is available at health food stores or on-line at sites that sell spices. It is ginger that has been coated with sugar, basically. It helps it go down a little easier. You need only a little piece at a time as it is strong...

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Thanks for the info. Christianne!! - nt- new
      #6218 - 04/16/03 08:16 AM
Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Crystallized Ginger new
      #6281 - 04/16/03 05:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I recently found crystallized ginger at 2 different local produce-type places in my area. Both of these places sell fruits & vegetables, nuts, dried fruits, etc. I found the crystallized ginger for only $3/lb! The best I had found before online was like $7 or $8 a lb. And don't even think about the grocery store!

Anyway, my point is, maybe if you have a place like this near you, you may be able to find it cheaper. For some reason I had never thought of looking for it at these places with the dried fruits before. It was definitely a pleasant surprise to find them, because I eat ginger ALL the time!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5808 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review