All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worried
      #59606 - 04/09/04 11:54 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Well I went to the GI yesterday to get the results of my colonosopy and small bowel series and everything came out normal (which is great!) BUT my doctor said my stomach is not emptying fast enough. Now he wants to do an EGD, or upper endoscopy, and a gastric emptying test! He mentioned that I could have some obstruction in my stomach or I could have gastroparesis. Scary! I just wanted to know if anyone has any of these tests done and what their experiences were. It makes me nervous to have something down my throat. I also wanted to know if anyone has been on tricyclic antidepressants, like Elavil, for their IBS and if this caused their stomach to empty slower. I read somewhere that they can cause this but wanted to hear other ppl's opinion. I stopped the Elavil cuz it wasn't helping and also cuz I wanted to see if my stomach empties fine without it. Anyways, any advice would be greatly apprecaited!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worried new
      #59614 - 04/09/04 12:04 PM
bz

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Hi FutureDoc,

I had my endoscopy done at the same time as my colonoscopy (since I also have GERD). There is nothing to worry about, they usually put you to sleep and you don't feel anything at all and are fine when you wake up.

As for the antidepressants, last month my doc prescribed Effexor XR (I'm IBS-D). It seems to help me since my stomach doesn't react as quickly on the meds. It does slow down the bowel movements though. I try to help it along with my fiber supplement.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

#59616 - 04/09/04 12:10 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hey I had and EGD done in March...it was so easy. I didn't feel a thing! The thing that hurt the most was the IV..which was NO big deal! So all in all it's REALLY easy! My throat was fine! Didn't hurt at all!

Good luck!

--------------------

Thank goodness! new
      #59622 - 04/09/04 12:20 PM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Glad to hear that the upper endoscopy causes no pain! I'm sick of drinking nasty tasting liquids! Hopefully I will get some answers as to why my stomach moves so slow! I am IBS-D so I always thought it moved waaaaaaay to fast! Weird....

#59727 - 04/09/04 02:09 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

Hi I was on Elavil for about 4 months. I have IBS-C.
It helped with the spasms and pain, but not the "C". I guess Elavil is better for "D". I went off of it because I was sleeping a lot and gained 10 lbs in those 4 months. I think my "C" got worse. Elavil is a sedative, so it slows everything down. I had to take fiber supplements to help with the "C"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1495

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review