All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does this sound like Celiacs?
      #59501 - 04/09/04 07:44 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi everyone. I have been diagnosed with IBS-A, but I think it may be Celiacs. I had the biopsy test thing done, and my doc said that my villi was flattened, but she also said that i tested negative for celiacs. I havnt noticed any significant difference when i eat alot of wheat or not, but i do notice that when i eat alot of wheat (ie speghetti, or bread) I get a weird tingle in my throat and i feel as though im gonna throw up. Also, i am totally intolerable to oatmeal (its brings me nothing but pain and misery). Also, alittle while back, my ibs sorta went into remission, and i ate chocolate on an empty stomach, and doughnuts and stuff, and i was fine. Then, my stomach aches came back randomly and my ibs went from D to C. I am now C, and am wondering if i could be a possible candidate for celiacs...what do yall think? Im think im gonna start a gluten free diet today, and also start soy milk today. I bought oragnic soy milk today and cant wait to try it...however, i was surprised that one cup provided 4 gms of fat! Fat never did agree with me...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Celiac new
      #59505 - 04/09/04 08:05 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

was that a GI doc that did the biopsy, i presume? when she told you the villi were flattened, what did she say next? she said your blood tested negative for celiac sprue, but... .what else? was she implying that despite the flattened villi, the presence of "negative" bloodwork means you're not celiac? who suggested the GF diet? did you read about it and think it was a good idea, or did the doctor put you on it? i'm trying to get a feel for what, if anything, your diagnosis was...

flattened villi signify celiac sprue according to what i have read. they can indicate celiac sprue even if the bloodwork is normal. the biopsy finding of flattened villi is, according to my research, the definitive diagnostic for this condition....

you need to call your doctor and have her clarify for you... they're used to that. people absorb things differently in appointments. you need to recheck with her and get a clear diagnosis. if she's unable to provide you one, or you're not confident in what she says, you need to ask for a copy of your paperwork ( and the biopsy results!) and go seek a second opinion. that is not to say you need a second biopsy! just take all the paperwork-- it is yours by law. (a copy of it must be made available to you.

meanwhile, if you haven't already, go visit celiac.com. there is a lot of information on that site. they also have bulliten boards that are quite helpful (though not structured the same as this one-- i like these better!).

please let me know what you find out!

--------------------

Re: help! new
      #59521 - 04/09/04 08:28 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Okay:
My doc never did blood work on me for celiac. SHe said that the villi was flattened but took a biopsy and said that it tunred out negative for celiac. She then proceded to tell me that sometimes the villi is just flattened in some people and that it doesnt mean anything. yes, I went on the GF diet myself. I looked it up on the net and decided that that would be my best bet...howvever, i just talked to my doctors nurse and told her that i wanted another test done to see if i have celiacs. She told me that she would talk to my doc and then get back to me (eventually) I am alittle hesistant about this whole GF diet, though, because If i cut back on gluten and then i get the test done for celiacs, wont it come out negative? oye! idk what to do. I guess i'll just talk to my doctor monday or tuesday and hopefully get some answers soon

soymilk new
      #59589 - 04/09/04 11:05 AM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Just to let you know you can find soy milk with a lot less fat. Check different ones out b/c some have more protein and calcium than others. The one I drink now Iget at Krogers. it's called naturally preferred.
As for the celiac, I am having an endoscopy on Tuesday to test for it. Good Luck . Oh, and yes you have to be eating gluten to get acurate results!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review