All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
horrible week
      #5921 - 04/12/03 05:59 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I know sometimes it seems that all we do is complain on this board, but I have to do it somewhere. This has really been a bad week. My stomach has been bloated all week long. I have had really bad cramps all week. Strangely enough I have actually had fairly "normal bms" this week. I am IBS-C.

My parents are discussing divorce now. I am twenty-five so I won't be affected as I would have been when I was a child, but it really upsets me. My father talked to me about it first. I thought he was just running off at the mouth, but he told her the same thing that night. My mother told me about it last night. I cried all night to my husband. He thinks I should just tell them to leave me out of it until a decision is made. He knows me very well and the first thing he said when I told him is "that is what has been wrong with you this week isn't it?"

I know that there is nothing I can do about it, but it sure does send my entire body for a loop. The only thing I can do is try to keep calm.

Has anyone else ever experience this? I don't necessarily mean divorce, I just mean your body going beserk when you are so emotional.

Since my dad told me earlier this week, I have not been able to control my eating. I haven't eaten anything too bad, but I have definitely over-eaten. That seems to be my main problem.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: horrible week new
      #5923 - 04/12/03 06:22 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

I'm so sorry you've had such a horrible week. Divorce of parents is traumatic at any age or stage of life - don't minimize the effect this may be having on you. I share your tendency to try to comfort myself with food - but that's just self-defeating in the long run. I'm trying to limit myself to tiny amounts of chocolate, as Heather says she does - and it helps to know I have that little treat to look forward to. Having been through my own divorce a couple of years ago, I know how long and drawn out the process can be, under the best of circumstances. I encourage you to be extra-gentle with yourself, and lovingly but firmly set some boundaries with your parents about how much information you want to have about their situation (probably the less, the better). Your husband sounds very perceptive and wise. Take care, and I'll be praying for you and your family.

Blessings,
Kaybee

#5925 - 04/12/03 06:34 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Lovejoy- I have just been throught the same thing. My parents decided in the fall to separate after 34 years of marriage. My Mom had to return to work after being off for 30 years and my Dad through a business deal gone bad lost the family house and cottage. I had a really hard time and still have flare ups of my IBS when having to deal with the anxiety of the whole situation. I manage to stay focused due to the fact that I have my own family now- a wonderful husband and 2 young children to worry about, and I cannot do much else for my parents but listen. Hope this helps.

#5949 - 04/13/03 05:37 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

Thanks for your responses. It is hard to go through at any age. I do need to set boundaries with both of them. I am really concerned for both, but physically I can't handle being their sounding board. And I think that both of them want me to be. They are still living together, but are not speaking. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review