Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to IBS
      #5880 - 04/12/03 01:51 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

Hello everyone,
I am new to all of this. I recently was diagnosed with IBS after about 7years of suffering. I finally couldn't stand the pain anymore. I have chosen to eat as a vegan, but I don't have any idea about combining foods. I just purchased the "Eating for IBS" book, and am hoping it will shed some light on all of this for me. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as books or recipes for me? I was told that you are supposed to stay away from tomatoe-based foods, yet I read on some of ya'lls recipe postings that you make pizza. I also noticed that people where posting foods containing meat,and I was under the impression you were supposed to stay away from animal products. I don't like animal products as it is, but I'm just a little confused about all of this. Thank you so much for your help. I look forward to hearing from ya'll.
canyontinsley

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to IBS new
      #5882 - 04/12/03 02:00 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the board. I am glad that you are now getting help! Heather's book is wonderful. Be sure to check out The First YEar IBS (blue and white book icon at top) as it has lots of suggestions on getting you started and feeling better. It takes some adjustments, but ultimately, you WILL feel better. As for your questions: meat is not a NO-NO. RED meat is a trigger because it is high in fat. Stuff like chicken, seafood, turkey and fish is all low fat and is more tolerable. But don't despair - there's lots of recipes that you can simply leave it out, or substitute with tofu, etc. Check out the recipe board here - Sharon and TessLouise are wonderful moderators and have fabulous suggestions on getting you cooking IBS style. Tomato sauce isn't strictly a trigger. It is highly acidic and is therefore harder to digest. Therefore we eat it very carefully ie. cooked, pureed, with pasta and in smaller quantities. The benefits of tomatoes are too many to count and too many to not have in your diet.
Don't be shy about asking questions - chances are, someone else has an answer or has been through it. Take care, and happy posting!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#5883 - 04/12/03 02:10 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

Thank you for your quick response. I just feel so lost right now. Last night we had a cook out and all I could eat was half of a baked potatoe and grilled veggies. I told my friends what was going on, and I kind of felt like they thought it was extreme or that I was making it more that it is. It was even harder because everyone was drinking. My boyfriend and I entertain alot, and it is hard to be around alcohol all of the time. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as alcohol is concerned. I mean I have another party to attend in just a few hours. I just feel so out of place all of a sudden.

#5891 - 04/12/03 03:10 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

There is a thread here on alchohol - you may want to do a search for it. Most people said they tolerate a glass of wine WITH FOOD okay. This is true for me. I avoid beer because of the carbonation. Distilled alcohol does make me pay the next day - I can't say I'll never drink another margarita, but I do try to stick with a glass of wine at a dinner party or restaurant. Also, be careful with the veggies - make sure they are well cooked. If you find crampiness with tofu or other soy products, Heather has suggested taking Beano with it until your body adjusts. Yours may already be there since you are a vegetarian. Good luck getting your tummy settled. We've all been there or are there and understand what you are going through. This board is a God-send!

#5904 - 04/12/03 04:42 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi canyontinsley - welcome to the board. If you look thru the Recipe Exchange you will find lots of recipes there. If you use zucchini, peel it with a potato peeler before you cook/eat it. That goes for any other veggie that has skin on it and make sure it's cooked until soft, especially asparagus, broccoli, etc. And, like HanSolo said, use Beano with some of the more known gassy veggies.

A good meat substitute is TVP (textured Vegetable Protein). You can find it in the grocery store produce section with all the tofus, etc. You can also find it bulk and dried in health food stores. I put the TVP in soups and make chili with the "ground round" type. The animal fat is a trigger for a lot of IBS-ers. I haven't eaten beef in a month of Sundays, and I dearly love broiled or bbq'd steak.

As for drinking, if you can't tolerate it, then I guess you'll have to turn into a tea-drinker like the rest of us. Alcohol does strange things to me but it's not related to IBS (I don't think). It makes my hands swell, my face flush, and my brain go to sleep! I'm much more fun awake!

Again, welcome and please don't hesitate to post anything. We're not bashful around here.

Sharon

Are you A, C or D? (constipation or diarrhea or have both).

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#5981 - 04/13/03 04:26 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Here are a few more suggestions with drinks: wine spritzers are a good choice for me - half wine and half club soda. I know, carbonated beverages can also be a trigger but it takes the alcohol count way down. I like beer and it doesn't necessarily upset my stomach, but I bloat badly with it. (Not exactly what I want at a party!)
You will be surprised with how yummy non alcoholic drinks can be. The secret is the glass. NEVER put it in a normal glass. Always serve it up in a wine glass, or a funky goblet or something like that. (It makes me feel more included) Ie. Strawberry Daquiris and Lemon/Lime margaritas are wonderful without alcohol (and noone other than you has to know it's alcohol free). If you need some recipes, go to the recipe board and put in a request.
Another thing: Hit the search button at the top of the page here - you can then type in a topic and see other posts concerning it. Take care. I know what a drag this all can be right now. Having to give up things, tell your friends, obviously avoid food at parties, etc. but it WILL get better. Hang in there, and go make yourself a strawberry daquiri. Don't forget the funky glass.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review