All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
zelnorm and antidepressants
      #58073 - 04/05/04 10:29 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

I am on zelnorm and zoloft. Zelnorm is made up of seratonin and the zoloft is a Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. Does anyone know the difference? Or if zelnorm works as an antidepressant? Ever since I began zelnorm I have no sexual desire. I know zoloft can have that affect as well but it doesn't affect me much. I know because I have been on zoloft for 4 years now. Any advice is appreciated!

--------------------
~Wookie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: zelnorm and antidepressants new
      #58081 - 04/05/04 10:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi, I was on both!! The Zelnorm is supposed to only affect the seratonin in your gut, it is not supposed to help with depression or anything else like that. Zoloft can make your sex drive decrease. I was on it for a while before I noticed a change in my sex drive. Mr DR switched me to Wellbutrin, which I really didn't notice a difference. I really don't think the Zelnorm would cause that but can't say for positive. The last anti-depressant I was on was Lexapro, I liked that one the best. I stopped it over a month ago, along with my birth control pills. Now I'm sure sure if its because I want a baby or because I have stopped the meds but I have really seen an increase in my sex drive!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#58115 - 04/05/04 11:51 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Thanks for your reply!! Did you go off of the zoloft slowly? I was thinking about going off of it but am afraid of what may happen with my ibs progress. My worst attack ever was on my last birthday on November 10th. I wasn't diagnosed yet and had been eating all of what is bad. One negative thought and I was having an anxiety attack all day long. By night I had my boyfriend take me to the ER. Took ex-rays and I was completely full of stools. Ouch! So I do not ever want to have an anxiety attack like that again!! So did you have any problems with anxiety or your progress when you stopped? Thanks for all your help!

--------------------
~Wookie

#58154 - 04/05/04 01:52 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you decide to stop you MUST ween yourself off, don't just stop. If you take one a day now, I would try half a day for about 2 weeks than try half everyother day for a bit and see how you do. When I stopped the Lexapro because I want to get pregnant, I weened myslef off but still had a hard time. Horrible headache that lasted over 2 weeks and had a hard time emotionally. About one and a half weeks ago (about 3 weeks after stopping Lexapro) I had a terrible IBS attack that lead to a panick attack, my dr had to give me some Xanax to get me calmed down again! I have started seeing a therpist to resolve some "old" issues and am feeling better. I still have a hard time feeling "tense" most of the time but I'm working hard on dealing with that.

If you want to stop your meds, just do it slowly and let the people closest to you know so they can support and help you if you have bad days. Don't feel upset or ashamed though if you need to stay on the meds. I only stopped because I don't want to take those things when I'm pregnant!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2510

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review