Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NSAIDS and IBS
      #57944 - 04/05/04 12:50 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Everyone,
Just wondering, does anyone on here take NSAIDS (Advil, Naproxen etc) and if so, how do they find it affects their stomach? I keep hearing how bad they are for your tummy and I wonder if that may be part of the reason I've been having so many problems despite being very good about following the new diet. My doctor thinks it can't be helping, but we haven't been able to find anything else that helps me. I have to take Naproxen for my Endometriosis and when it's bad I take 375mg every 5 hours or so, often without food because my stomach is so upset I can't eat...could that be causing symptoms like IBS problems?
Anyone have any suggestions for either how to make your stomach tolerate these types of drugs better or other painkillers that are a bit more tummy friendly?
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NSAIDS and IBS new
      #57948 - 04/05/04 03:44 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

For a lot of people here, NSAID's are a trigger. Personally, I can tolerate ibuprofen okay. I always take it after I've eaten too. I think Tylenol is easier on your tummy, if that could help you.

#57959 - 04/05/04 05:31 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Kelly,

I take Imitrex for migraine headaches and at times it causes my stomach to feel upset. My Dr. prescribed Promethazine for nausea which really helps but it knocks me out so I can only take it at night when I am going to sleep. During the day I usally drink peppermint tea which helps and the peppermint capsuals also help. I only take Naproxen or Motrin when I have had something to eat or it will upset my stomach. I know how difficult it is to try to manage IBS along with other things like migraines or endometriosis.

--------------------
Janey

#58096 - 04/05/04 11:17 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

'I used to take one(forgot the name now) for tendonitis and YES it made my IBS much wose, so much so I had to stop. I can't take any motrin, advil or any of that stuff. Tylenol is fine for me though. My DR give me a prescription for Ultracet, its a tylenol based pain pill, much stronger than regular tylenol-maybe ask if that would help you? I also have Vicodin for the really bad days!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#58138 - 04/05/04 12:57 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I was going to recommend Ultracet also. It's prescription but it's SO effective, for my menstrual cramps as well as other types of pain. And doesn't upset the tummy at all.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#58141 - 04/05/04 01:02 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I take Advil whenever I need to and it doesn't bother me at all....but I guess we're all different

#58286 - 04/06/04 12:18 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

What exactly is Ultracet? What type of pain reliever is it? My problem is that anything Tylenol based doesn't work well enough, and they don't want to put me on something stronger (i.e. oxycocet sp?) because of the addictive factors. Is it a narcotic?
Thanks,
Kelly

#58369 - 04/06/04 08:37 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

No it's not a narcotic and is NOT addictive. That's what makes it so wonderful!

It's not an NSAID so no tummy upset. It's not an opiate, so no drugged feeling. I'm not a scientist so I can't explain exactly what it is, but I know it works!

It's been available in Europe for quite awhile, was just introduced to the US about 5 years ago. Dentists frequently prescribe it after dental surgery. Studies have shown that it's more helpful for fibromyalgia pain than anything, including narcotics! No major side effects. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not! Plus it comes in generic form so it's not too expensive either!!

(Geez, they should pay me to write advertisments for them!!)

Give your doctor a call about it. I mentioned it to my doc (who is great btw) and he said, "I'd be happy to write you a prescription for it!" How cool is that!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#58371 - 04/06/04 08:40 AM
TrishO

Reged: 03/30/04

Hi,
I can't take Mortin or Tylenol...they flare me up really bad, so I don't take them. If I have a headache, I'll cut one in half so I won't be as bad.
Trish

#58384 - 04/06/04 08:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

YEP, I argree with LauraSue on the Ultracet! Regular tylenol wasn't strong enough for me either but the Ultracet usually is. I can take it and go to work and I'm not all fuzzy brained! I have Hepatitis C and have to really watch the amount of Tylenol I take but they said the Ultracet was fine as long as I don't take more than 4 a day! I just use them when I need them and 2 is usually enough.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2461

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review