All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ugh...spent the day in the hospital
      #5726 - 04/11/03 03:29 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hey everyone - so spent the day in hospital. Throat so infected it nearly closed on me. Add to that a fever of 39/102 degrees, menstruation and constipation and I'm a mess. I was hooked up to an I.V. for 3 hours because I had to get some fluids into me. So I'm now on an antibiotic, a painkiller, and an anti-inflammatory. How will this complicate my IBS? Don't antibiotics usually plug ya up more???

...Miserable in Tokyo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ugh...spent the day in the hospital new
      #5730 - 04/11/03 05:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kimbo,

You poor thing!!!!!!! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Antibiotics can plug ya up more--but the good news is when you finish them you can take probiotics which will restore the bacteria you've lost (of course, talk to your doc...I'm not a doctor or anything...but this is what my doc advised).

Hang in there! Do you have strep--is that what happened to make your throat close? Whatever it is--drink as much fluids as you can (I know it's hard--I had strep 5 times this year--got it from the kids I teach). We'll be thinking about you! I'm glad you're home now--get some rest, and Happy Friday! Let us know how you're doing!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5737 - 04/11/03 05:43 AM
Kimbo

Thanks Ruchie!

I've never been given probiotics! Not even when I was living in Canada!

The Japanese doctor didn't tell me what exactly I have. I was surprised: no swab, no blood test - she didn't even take my blood pressure!

#5738 - 04/11/03 05:44 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That's strange! Can you call--maybe they will be able to better tell you what's wrong now...I hope so! Feel better soon, take care, and let us know when you find out (if you find out) what the diagnosis is. Good luck!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5745 - 04/11/03 06:56 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kimbo,

Ruchie is right. Take probiotics. Make sure you get the live form that needs to be refrigerated though. I have no idea what kind you can get in Japan, but the brand I am taking is called Genestra.

Hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#5748 - 04/11/03 07:14 AM
H2

Loc: Ohio

Kim! That is terrible, I hope you feel better! I always thought of Japan as advanced technologically, but the doctor didn't even take your blood pressure??

I don't know if this will help, but when I have a sore throat, I just can't swallow water. The only thing I can get down is tea with honey and lemon. If you think you can try that, it is very soothing.

Someone told me once that anti-biotics give you D, but it wasn't a doctor, and I don't remember where I heard it. I do know that yoghurt with live and active cultures can help, but I don't know if you can find soy yoghurt over there. Oh wait, did you say you can't eat soy? I don't remember.

Anyway, hope you are feeling better soon. I put a package in the mail yesterday.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#5822 - 04/11/03 05:02 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kimbo - Geez, that's horrible! Watch out for the antibiotics--sometimes women get a yeast infection because the antibiotics are killing off the good bacteria too and the bad ones take over. Yeast infections are no fun. So if you start to feel funny in the south 40, that might be why.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: My ER visit new
      #5825 - 04/11/03 05:12 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Kimbo,
I know how terrible it is to spend the day in the hospital, been there, done that. I remember the first time I went to the ER (which was like a week before christmas) It was a rainy Saturday and I was sitting down doing my homework. The phone then rang and I went to get it. I picked up the phone and it was my mother calling from work just to say hi. I began talking to her and all of the sudden i started to feel extremly dizzy and light headed. I told my mom i felt "weird" adn then the next thing i knew i was under the kitchen table covered in chocolate milk. It took me apprx 2 minutes to realize what happened. I passed out and knocked over a glass of chocolate milk when i collapsed. I guessed i lost conscienceness too because I had no recollection of what happened when i fell. My mom was still on the line when i told her what happened. She then immediently called my dad on her cell phone and he rushed home. He then rushed me to the emergency room where we met up with my mom.

When I got the ER i explained to them what happ. and they did the usually:took my blood pressure, weight, temp. ect.) and was put in a room. The doc came in 2 hrs later and took my blood and told me i was going for a catscan on my head. 3, yes 3 hours later i went for the catscan and was sent back to my room. 2 and half hours later the doc came in and told me that everything was fine and i should get up more slowly next time, because my blood pressure apparantly dropped.
So in conclusion, I was rushed to the er to waste time.. yeah.... doctors really suck.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: My ER visit new
      #5828 - 04/11/03 05:17 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - Boy, that was terrible. I guess the only good thing about that experience was being covered in CHOCOLATE milk!!!

Sharon

"Chocolate"..that is all!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#5943 - 04/13/03 12:20 AM
Kimbo

Thank you to everyone who had kind words and helpful suggestions for me over this difficult weekend. I'm finally on the mend. I have to say though - I'll take IBS over what I had ANYDAY. (and thats saying a lot) At least with IBS we can have _some_ control over it. I hate being sick!!!

HUGS & KISSES! (germ free too!)
Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1335

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review