All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Melissa new
      #57195 - 04/02/04 09:29 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Melissa, I had been taking Orthotricyclen for a few years and just recently switched to the generic brand. I thought Ortho was suppose to be not as strong as others -who knows. I did have to switch brands a few times at first b/c I was very emotional as well.

I start the Patch on Sunday and I will definitely let you know how I feel after a week or so of being on it! Wish me luck!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Regarding B C pills new
      #57203 - 04/02/04 09:51 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

About 10 yrs ago during peri menopause my doctor put me on a patch of BC pills to help low hormone symptoms and the IBS I already had got soo bad. Everything I ate or drank, and I mean EVERYTHING, EVEN WATER, gave me gurgling and gas and pains. I asked if it could be the hormones and he kept saying no so I stayed on it for a few months. After numerous tests he finally said to stop the patch and see what happens. The very day after stopping I got better. I was better for a week and then as an experiment I put the patch back on and immediately got bad again. Took it off and the next day better. My doctor still says it has nothing to do with it - but pain speaks for itself and I KNOW IT DID. Not to say it would do that for everybody but it's worth a try. Of course I didn't need it for birth control so be careful !

Crampgirl new
      #57206 - 04/02/04 09:54 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Crampgirl, so you are talking about the bc patch, am I right? Even the patch did this? How odd. Well, do you feel better being off the patch? What symptoms did you have with it, and then without it?
Curious minds want to know (actually, my mind!)

The Patch new
      #57212 - 04/02/04 09:59 AM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Yes it was a patch and sorry I dont remember the name. I also thought since it's not going through my digestive system it would be okay but apparantly with me it didn't make a difference. The symptoms are gas, cramping pains, diahhrea with every single food or beverage. But then everyone is different so it may be different for you. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying anything but just want to let all of you know that it made me worse, so that is something to consider when you are trying to figure out what is wrong and the doctor hasn't a clue.

LOL re don't leave home without it - so true!! -nt- new
      #57222 - 04/02/04 10:10 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Regarding B C pills new
      #57249 - 04/02/04 11:00 AM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

This discussion about bc pills is so interesting. I am taking Cilest, which is called orthrocyclen in the usa I think, I started when I was 18, when I already had ibs, but who knows, maybe it is making it worse? wow.

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

#57271 - 04/02/04 12:16 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Hi! I'm new to the board, but have been and IBS sufferer for years. I was diagnosed in '92, and the gastroinerologist I was seeing at the time immediately took me off of BC pills. It DOES affect IBS!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Patch - crampgirl!! new
      #57289 - 04/02/04 12:34 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

You said you were put on it about 10 years ago? I wonder what kind it was. I've only recently heard about this new Patch, and it is by the makers of Orthotricyclen. I didn't realize that hormones could play that much of a role toward your tummy! Do you still have symptoms now since you are not taking the pill or patch!?

This is very interesting. I was soo pumped to try this new Patch and now I am somewhat skeptical. Bummer!!

I really think doctors need to do a study on the affect BC has on IBS or other conditions.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#57325 - 04/02/04 01:08 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

I am FASCINATED by this possible connection b/w BC pills and IBS -- I have been on the pill since age 15 (I had awful long heavy painful periods), so almost 15 years. I am going to ask my docs about this one for sure.

#57345 - 04/02/04 01:50 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

this is interesting! my doctor told me that your period can affect your ibs but not bc pills. i've been on the pill for a long time (minus the time i went off it to get pregnant and have my daughter - of course!). i'm not really sure if being off of it helped my ibs though because i was taking prenatal vitmans with iron that really bind you up and i'm ibs-c so who knew there was a connection!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1628 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review