All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New symptom...upper stomach/chest pain
      #56317 - 03/31/04 05:45 AM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

I woke up this morning with a horrible pain in my chest. It is still there and it is 2 hours later. I was C all day yesterday, would that cause it? I am going to my doc on friday so I will tell him but I wanted to ask you guys first. Any ideas? I only ate rice crackers with soy cheese and a glass of soy milk last night. Is that too much soy?? It never caused me a problem before...I do not think.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New symptom...upper stomach/chest pain new
      #56367 - 03/31/04 08:28 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Happyday,
I seem to get this a lot as well. I have IBS-C, also, and I get severe chest pains. I'm pretty sure it's acid reflux or GERD or something. I have this horrible pressure all over my chest and sometimes in my shoulder and left arm.
I think it could also be signs of extreme gas, too.

The soy seems to give me gas, so maybe that is what did it for you as well.

#56369 - 03/31/04 08:30 AM
TrishO

Reged: 03/30/04

Hmmm, I think I'd go get an ultrasound on my gallbladder if I were having those symptoms.

#56374 - 03/31/04 08:33 AM
KarefreeB

Reged: 03/22/04

Have either of you had your gallbladder checked? This sounds very much like the pain I experienced during a early gallbladder attack. The pressure I felt was in a single area but burping did bring relief eventually. During the later attacks nothing helped. Good luck. I hope you find relief soon.

#56383 - 03/31/04 08:46 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Karefree,
Thanks for the info. NO, I had never heard of it possibly being the gallbladder. Did you have a sharp pain or more of a dull muscle ache pain? Sometimes I have both, but it's mostly a dull throb like I pulled a muscle (even though I didn't). Intense pressure on my chest like someone just punched me or is sitting on me.
Is any of this familiar? And what did you ever do about your gallbladder problems? What can doctors do?

#56391 - 03/31/04 08:56 AM
KarefreeB

Reged: 03/22/04

Yes, very familiar. My pressure was very pinpointed into an area between my breasts and it felt like an elephant sitting on a golf tee. Very painful and scary.

I have heard that gallbladder problems are very hard to diagnose because people feel pain in so many different areas. A friend of mines father had pain between his sholder blades with his.

I would check it out if I were you. I also think it runs in families. Almost all the females on my fathers side of the family had their gallbladders removed after the birth of their first child. My father and my uncle also had theirs removed as did I.

Again, good luck and hope you feel better soon.

#56648 - 03/31/04 06:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Just an FYI - soy cheese usually contains casein which is a milk protein. For me, it causes gas. If you had it in the evening, the gas may have gotten trapped and thus causing you distress. Try avoiding the soy cheese at bedtime and see if there's a difference.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#56663 - 03/31/04 08:01 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

Does it feel like an ice pick or knife point is trying to exit your rib cage near your heart? I had this for a full day once but when I asked my doc, she felt confident it was severe heartburn.

#66446 - 04/30/04 02:18 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

hey there. this is one of my symptoms too - i ahd an upper gi that ruled out hiatel hernia and ulcer. the abdominal ultrasound was inconclusive ..there was too much gas to see if there were gallstones (lol). so now i'm sposed to get an abdominal cat scan..but i have to change doctors first so it may be awhile.
im' sorry you're dealing with this, i agree to get checked for gallbladder problems and stones. I think i have reflux and ibs and i don't know which end is up sometimes. um. literally. things that help with the reflux trigger the ibs and vice versa
hang in there..but yes, i think you should get checked for stones.

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8804 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review