All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Nexium and its adverse reactions on me! I HATE MEDS!
      #55695 - 03/29/04 03:42 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My disclaimer: First off, I'm a rarity. I even had probs with tylenol with codeine! The most common side effects of Nexium are headache.

Diarrhea, screaming headaches, increase in appetite (again!), and confusion! I couldn't stop laughing and crying at the same time (it wasn't funny! It was scary and I felt totally outta control!) It even gave me a fever. And, yes, all ALL of these symptoms were listed on the info. about the med and its side effects.

I spent most of the afdternoon in the bathroom with major D and nasuea!

Will this illness soap opera that is my life ever end?

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nexium and its adverse reactions on me! I HATE MEDS! new
      #55701 - 03/29/04 03:50 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, Ruchie, you poor thing!!!! This is SOOOOO not fair. Unbelievable. I can relate - I get every side effect listed too. My hubby jokes with me that I get them from reading the leaflet not taking the pill!!

Go back to square one. Break the cycle. Comfort your poor body and mind and spirit. Then start again. Just focus on today, one day at a time, and you'll make it.

We ALL promise, right, everybody!!!???

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yes We All Promise!!! -nt- new
      #55719 - 03/29/04 05:23 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

#55784 - 03/29/04 07:23 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Ruchie,
I know you're going through some pretty rough trials, and you have been for quite some time. You really are gonna make it out of the fire though.

I know you're tired and worn out and just sick of it all, but you will pull yourself up by your boot straps and you're gonna give yourself a pep talk and keep right on going and keep right on trying.

And you know what? You're going to be okay. Your sunny day with its' beautiful rainbow is coming, Ruchie. I know this sounds silly, but it's true.

I've been around long enough to know that this is how life works. We have horrible, awful times that we think will never end and we think we're just not gonna make it.

But, they do end, and we do make it. Hang in there, punkin, and give it your best fight. Keep trying to take care of yourself and think positive thoughts.
I know you're going to be okay,
Hugs to you,
Terri

Aw Ruchie...I hope you feel better soon! new
      #55832 - 03/30/04 12:14 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Ruchie,
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so lousy. I understand where you're coming from, from what I've read of your posts we sound very similar (sinusitis, allergy problems, GERD...so much fun eh?). I however haven't found that I have too much trouble with medications, I think I'm the opposite of you, I seem to be able to take anything (and often do!).
I just started taking Nexxium as well, and I haven't been having many side effects, but I thought I'd try and give you a few suggestions and see if any of them help.
First, is Nexium the first drug you've tried for GERD? Because there is also ranitidine (zantac) which from what I've been told isn't quite as good as Nexium, but if you can't tolerate the nexium it might be worth a try, it's probably better than nothing.
Second, and this may seem a little weird, but have you ever tried Sea Bands? They're these little bracelet like things you wear that activate pressure points and help with nausea. The reason I ask is that I"ve found them really helpful when I have been having trouble with medication side effects because I find that nausea often goes along with headaches and that these help both. I know sometimes I've felt like I just can't take/drink anything, so I would slap these babies on and they almost always make me feel better. Here's a link to a webpage I found about them: http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/safety/seaband.htm?E+scstore
It's primarily meant for when you're at sea or on a plane or something, but I've used them on land and they're great. When I was trying to get off Paxil I found them invaluble at helping me deal with side effects.
I really hope you get better soon...I agree with what TeeCee said, I'm sure your time is coming!
Take care,
Kelly

#55834 - 03/30/04 01:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Get well soon Ruchie! My fiance gets side-effects from drugs too. Codeine and even asthma inhalers make him hallucinate and talk utter bulls**t!

Btw, those wristbands Kelly suggested really work for sea-sickness so I don't see why they wouldn't help with nausea (why did I never think of this before???!!! ).

Zantac is pretty good at relieving heartburn, but it's not so hot at preventing it I think. What drug is Nexium? I've got Lansoprazole which I love - is that the same stuff?

Here's hoping you get a break!

Love Linz

Thanks Teecee... new
      #55998 - 03/30/04 09:25 AM
Snow for Sarala

Terri,

You are so super sweet! Thanks for your kind words...

You really inspired me. Sometimes it really feels like I'm never gonna be well again. But your righ...life has its downs AND its ups! The downs have been aorund me for some time now...so the ups should be not too far away (lets hope anyway!)

Thanks so much for your encouragememnt and support...I need ALL I can get right now!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

For Linz and Kelly new
      #56002 - 03/30/04 09:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Wow, thank you both SO MUCH! I've used the wristbands before on cruises LOL I will see if I can maybe get some for my nasuea...

I was on aciphex whil I was on prednisone for my tummy. It made me constipated. So the doc switched me to Neuim. I think he has another med for me to try when I get this one out of my system (I'm still getting D!) I even woke up in the middle of nigh with D...I've been going now on and off for over 24 hours (is this in any way dangerous...I even go after I drink water or have a popsicle!) I haven't tried eating more than a couple of pretzels at a time...and even that makes me go as well!

Linz, is your med a purple pill? I don't know the technical name for my med so I don't know if they're the same or not?

Anyway, thanks again ladies and thanks for letting me vent! I hope both of you are doing well and feeling GREAT!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

We love LauraSue! new
      #56006 - 03/30/04 09:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

I didn't even read the leaflet! LOL I thought I was sick again...and then I remembered the doc mentioning headache and D from the pill...that's when I read the leaflet.....who ever heard of getting a fever and flu-like symptoms from a med?

I can't wait to be able to eat something and drink something and not have to go! I've said this more than once...how do you IBS-D folks do it? I give you a million props!

Anyway, thanks for making me smile...you're so good at it!

On a side note, I'm looking into OA. I'm having a hard time finding a meeting that's close to where I live...so I'm not sure how to deal with that. Do you happen to know if there are on-line meetings and how to get hooked up--or phone meetings?

Thanks LauraSue!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

RIGHT! -nt- new
      #56023 - 03/30/04 10:06 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

LauraSue.... question about meds sensitivities? new
      #56025 - 03/30/04 10:15 AM
jenX

Hi there. How are you feeling today??? Well, I hope. The nasty migraines haven't reappeared have they? Hope not.

Do you have a lot of medicine sensitivities? Do you attribute it to your fibro?

I've been reading a lot about fibro/CFS and found it fascinating that patients with fibro and/or CFS are often terribly sensitive to meds. I'm not, and hope I don't become so... but it's good to know about! I also read fibro and CFS can lead to tons of allergies and food sensitivities (wow, I'm having trouble getting that spelled correctly today!). I think that's fascinating, too, 'cause I feel like every month that goes by brings another food I can't handle. So odd! IBS is such a big symptom of both other issues... It's overwhelming!

Do you feel your IBS is a symptom of the fibro, or independent of it?

Last question (for now! ): do you suffer from "fibro fog"? That horrible fuzzy headed can't think of words, can't remember why you walked into a store, can't remember how you got your pants on backwards fogginess? I need tips on combatting that if you have any! I can't deal with it! I'm a really really bright person and I hate being this clueless all the dang time.

I wouldn't ask this many questions all at once, but I know you don't mind and will only answer if you have the energy to!

Smoochies, LauraSue!

--------------------

For Ruchie, new
      #56041 - 03/30/04 10:31 AM
Vicam

Hey Ruchie,
have you had any trouble sleeping since starting the Nexium? Not like because you're up with D or anything, but just not being able to sleep? I started the Nexium Saturday and haven't been able to sleep more than 2 hours since! I'm not sure if it may be the drug, it's just ridiculous, my body just won't go to sleep. Anyone else had this?
Thanks,
Kelly

Re: We love LauraSue! new
      #56096 - 03/30/04 11:16 AM
LauraSue

Ruchie,
Glad I could help a little bit! Re OA, there's tons of online meetings. Go here:

OA Online Meetings

and click on the link in the first sentence to get a pdf file with four pages of listings of online meetings.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: LauraSue.... question about meds sensitivities? new
      #56110 - 03/30/04 11:38 AM
LauraSue

Jen,

Smoochies back atcha, girl. Wow, lots of questions. First, yes, migraines are better, thanks for asking!

Ok, sensitivities (did I spell that right?? yes, I have fibro fog... do I know you????)

Oh, right, sensitivities to medications. YES, some I'm fine with, but others give me BIG problems. For example, Xanax is terrific, but Klonopin clobbered me. Ultram, I only need half the normal dose, if I take two I get nauseous. And yes I attribute it to the fibro. One of the nicknames for fibro AND CFS is "Irritable Body Syndrome." Every part of me is over sensitized to everything!! Like that story about the Princess and the Pea? That's me.

Food sensitivities with fibro are mostly just the IBS triggers usually. But chemical sensitivities are over the top. I can't even stand the smell of the soap that my hubby uses at the gym. Perfumes, cooking odors, paint smell, you name it. All part of fibro/CFS. (By the way, I personally believe they are the same illness, but just my humble opinion.)

I believe my IBS is definitely part of my fibro, not separate from it. Fortunately all the right things to do for IBS also help fibro (sleep, exercise, avoiding stress).

Okay, fibro fog, it's real. They've done brain scan studies showing that our brains literally do not get as much blood flow when we experience the fog. So just like a light bulb not getting enough current so it flickers or burns real dim, that's what's happening in our brains. Great, huh.

I just noticed your "pants on backward" analogy. It made me laugh and think to myself, at least I've never done that, then I remembered that I actually DID do that once. I have a pair of drawstring exercise pants and once I put the drawstring in the back rather than the tag. Couldn't figure out why they fit so funny!

As far as tips for dealing with it, I'm sure you're already using all the basic ones, writing lists, keeping things like keys or glasses in the same place each time. Mostly I just have to slow down for a second and let my brain catch up with me.

And yes it's incredibly frustrating to go from a bright, overachieving, super competent, super responsible and reliable Wonder Woman, to this "ditz" we always used to laugh at.

Wish I could be more help. There's a whole bunch of websites and books, and a lot of them have suggestions on dealing with fibro fog. Maybe you'll find something I've forgotten (speaking of fibro fog!). If you do, please let me know too!!

Now, who are you again, and where did I put my glasses???!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#56120 - 03/30/04 11:46 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Ruchie sorry you are having a hard time with Nexium. Matter of fact I miss taking my purple pill. My insurance doesn't cover it anymore and now I take Prilosec OTC and it doesn't work as well for me.

I've never had bad side effects from Nexium. Do you think Nexium can be reacting with the other meds you take? That may be a good question to ask your Pharmacist.

Plus I wonder if your body is just saying "NO" to drugs. LOL

you're the bestest! new
      #56126 - 03/30/04 11:51 AM
jenX

Thanks for answering.

I, too, believe they're the same (CFS, Fibro). At least that's what it seems to be from my "research."

I've just started coming to terms with this CFS crap. First of all... my diagnosis was an offhanded "if you're still tired after all the stuff we've tried, then I guess you have chronic fatigue syndrome."

A) "all the stuff we tried" was putting me on Lexapro 'cause "you're tired because you're depressed." That's it. that was "all the stuff we tried."

B) when i asked "well what do i do to manage it?" i was told, "lots of people get a lot more energy if they workout at lunchtime." I walk at lunch when I have the energy, I said. No, I mean "work out. at the gym" he replied.
1) "work out?" yes, because i can barely lift my arms you think working out will be the answer? maybe that will help long-term, but how do i get the energy to do that without taking a 3 week nap (no exaggeration)? no comment from Doc. when I asked that follow-up question!
2) i'm in a union job where i have to be at my desk at certain times or i can get fired. (needless to say, i can goof off once i'm there! hullo-- IBS boards!?? ) how am i going to get out of the office, to a gym, work out, take a shower and back to the office without anyone noticing. i get a 1/2 lunch break. ya think that's going to work???

That's the extent of the data I was able to extract from my Doctor. Because I knew nothing about CFS except the common misperceptions, I just kind of ignored the diagnosis. That was this fall, and it's only been the last few weeks that I've accepted it. And thus the self-education begins!

I've decided to do a lot of research on my own and then strike out for a better doctor. I'm hoping to get some good names from my research and be confident that I know what questions to ask, what I expect and what to push for.

Sorry to bug you with all this, but just trying to get my bearings!

You're the greatest.

--------------------

Re: you're the bestest! new
      #56132 - 03/30/04 12:10 PM
LauraSue

Jen, ...and you're the sweetest!

I totally agree with you about how inadequate the doctor's response was! Been there done that. But he's right in a way, just not in his approach.

One thing I read that I'll always remember is that "People with fibro/CFS can't afford NOT to exercise." But of course, we don't have the energy to even think about it.

The answer is to start VERRRRRRYYYYYY SLOWWWWWWWLY. At first I walked for 3 min, then 5, then 10, now a year later maybe i can do 25 min on a good day. But it HELPS, ohmigoodness, how it HELPS!! Can't feel the difference at first, until suddenly you look back and realize you're not getting such and such symptom any more or that now you can do X and you couldn't at first.

But it's like quitting smoking. You have to be ready to start your walking program and you have to really want to do it.

In addition, light strength building and stretching is important too. I have a link to a baby step plan you can do at home, which I'll post for you as soon as my fibro fog lifts and I remember where I put it so I wouldn't lose it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#56140 - 03/30/04 12:15 PM
jenX

yeah, i know i need to do it! i've been trying to walk for 15 minutes at lunch. i DO feel better when i have... it's true. and i park a 5 minute walk away. i'm afraid to park further 'cause some days i can barely lift my legs to get to the lot...

thanks again for the help!

--------------------

#56171 - 03/30/04 01:34 PM
LauraSue

Yeah, I never know when I'm going to run out of steam, so I walk in 5 minute CIRCLES, literally, around my apartment building. How hysterical is that??!!

Here's the baby step program link:

Baby Steps for FM/CFS!

I love it that they start with 30 SECONDS of walking!! When I saw that, I said this is for me!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yep Kelly, had that too new
      #56220 - 03/30/04 04:19 PM
Snow for Sarala

I had insomnia a bit, fever, headache, flu-like symptoms, fatigue, the big D and stuff like that. You're NOT the only one and it IS mentioned in the side effects of the drug on the leaflet.

I hope you get some good zzzzz's soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

P.S. Is it helping your GERD at all?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Barb... new
      #56221 - 03/30/04 04:22 PM
Snow for Sarala

First of all, sorry for not e-mailing you back. I plan to soon...

LOL you crack me up! My bod could def. be saying no to drugs!

I'm off all the other meds....so there's only one option. The allergist thinks it might be GERD that's making em sick with my sinusitis so we're taking a new route. As a nurse, have you ever heard anything like that? I find it fascinating...and I hope it's that simple!

How's everything with you? Thanks a MILLION for your e-mail....

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Fibro/CFS sounds like me new
      #56222 - 03/30/04 04:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

From what you're saying, this sounds like it could be me. What's the diff. be/ fibro. and CFS? I think CFS is a symptom of Fibro...but I could be totaly off! I get the foggy feeling and I also get tired a lot and achey joints sometimes, etc. How should I find out if this is sometihng I have? (I think I'll wait until this med leaves my system tho!)

Thanks for any info./advice Jen and LauraSue!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Fibro/CFS sounds like me new
      #56239 - 03/30/04 05:23 PM
jenX

Hey, Ruchie-girl!

I'm just learning, myself. There's some debate as to whether CFS and Fibro are separate or the same or interconnected.... Who knows!? Fibro is, generally speaking, characterized by pain (18 specific spots in the body @ diagnosis, I can't remember how many must illicit pain). CFS is, generally speaking, characterized by the fatigue... But CFSers have joint and muscle pain, while Fibro patients have fatigue.... Confused yet?

And there are tons and tons of other symptoms of each that may or may not be present in patients, including irritable bowel syndrome (!), food allergies, medication sensitivities, "fibro fog" which is what it sounds like, and some confusion, trouble with finding words, other mental crap... blah blah blah....

I can tell you more tomorrow but I'm falling asleep right now! I'll also give you the title of the book I just picked up.... not sure what the "recommendations" are, I haven't gotten that far yet, but it certainly does a GREAT job explaining the two (one!?) disorders. I'm also looking for some websites that are helpful. I'll post more tomorrow. I think I'm going to bed.

--------------------

One more thing Ruchie new
      #56276 - 03/30/04 08:28 PM
Vicam

Hey Ruchie,
Thanks for your info! The doc just gave me a few sample pills so I didn't get much of a leaflet, so I didn't know. I just wanted to ask, when you were taking it what time of day did you take it? Because I've been taking it about an hour before bed, and I think maybe that might not be helping. Thanks again and I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, hope you're feeling better soon!
Kelly

Re: One more thing Ruchie new
      #56278 - 03/30/04 09:13 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey there, my gastro (who seems to know what she's talking about) said that it HAD to be taken in the morning before breakfast to have any effect. Otherwise it's waning for your day. I was taking it before bed and it's actually made a big difference to switch to the mornings. I don't get sick in the afternoons like I used to.

Re: For Linz and Kelly new
      #56284 - 03/30/04 11:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Lansoprazole's a yellow capsule, I think!

Thanks Chinagirl! new
      #56292 - 03/31/04 12:09 AM
Vicam

Thanks for the info! I had planned on asking the doc when to take it but because he had his nurse give me the pills and didn't come back, I never got a chance. I'm going to start taking it in the morning tomorrow, hopefully it'll work better for me!
Kelly

Re: One more thing Ruchie new
      #56318 - 03/31/04 05:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

I was also given samples, but it came with a leaflet...

I took it first thing in the am on an empty stomach 1 hour before food...and I STILL had sleep probs!

Oh well...at least I'm not taking it anymore (still having D though!)

Hope you're feeling better soon...and getting your zzzz's!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie new
      #56346 - 03/31/04 07:57 AM
BarbaraS

Ruchie I'm not a Nurse yet - just a CNA.

As for GERD's causing Sinus problems - I don't know anything about it. My sister has polpys in her sinus and her doctor will be starting her on medication to shrink the polpys. If that doesn't work she will have to have surgery.

If it has something to do with GERDS - that would be an easy fix.

Re: Fibro/CFS sounds like me new
      #56559 - 03/31/04 02:44 PM
LauraSue

Jen,
What's "the title of the book I just picked up.... "?

There's a lot of good ones, let me know which one you got, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LS, you know better than to ask hard questions like that! new
      #56565 - 03/31/04 02:50 PM
jenX

LOL.... I'm to lazy to go upstairs and get it. I'm realllllly wiped out today! But I will be near it and the computer at the same time tomorrow and let you know. If I forget, remind me, will ya fellow foggee!?

--------------------

Re: LS, you know better than to ask hard questions like that! new
      #56622 - 03/31/04 04:48 PM
LauraSue

You're right, I apologize!!! Me bad!!!

I'm racing thru the last few posts because DH is on his way home to take over the computer. See ya tomorrow, punkin.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Barb new
      #56694 - 04/01/04 04:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm so upset! I went back to e-mail you last night...and your e-mail was gone (my e-mail has been giving me MAJOR trouble this year!) Can I send it to your yahoo account? Hope that's ok...let me know when you have a chance so I know where I can e-mail you.

Thakns!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie new
      #57484 - 04/03/04 08:09 AM
BarbaraS

send e-mail to my yahoo acct. I set up yahoo so that people can send me e-mail and only my eyes see it. Not sure why my TDS account didn't work for you.

LauraSue...OA tonight...any advice new
      #57816 - 04/04/04 03:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

So I'm gonna try OA tonight and I wanted to know if you have any advice? I'm gonna do an on-line thing. I'm kinda nervous

Thanks for all your support so far!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: LauraSue...OA tonight...any advice new
      #58047 - 04/05/04 09:19 AM
LauraSue

Oh, Ruchie, I'm SO PROUD of you!! You are the bravest person I know!!

Okay, advice. I have none, because there are no rules!! Seriously, it's a very sweet, gentle, easy going fellowship, much like this board. One difference is that people generally share one at a time, with no interruptions or comments from others.

It's okay to be nervous. I was TERRIFIED at my first meeting. But this lovely person turned to me after the meeting with a big smile and said, "Keep coming back!" And that just melted my heart, so I did.

You don't even have to say anything if you don't want. You can just listen. Or you can tell them you're new and a little nervous. They'll all say that's fine, they were too!

It may be a step meeting or a topic meeting where they're focusing on one of the twelve steps specifically or on one particular topic, like denial or powerlessness.

And there will be people from all different backgrounds, all different religions, all over the country. And the main message you'll come away with is that YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

I'm getting all choked up just thinking about how much love and support I've gotten over the years from my meetings and the friends I've made there.

You're taking the first step in a beautiful journey that will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

Now, you may also, for whatever reason, decide that it's not for you right now. That's also fine. We all have our own path and you're right where you're supposed to be right now. But you'll always know in the back of your mind that help is there when you need it. And even if you don't keep attending meetings right now, you can always come back in the future. But I'm SO PROUD of you for being willing to give it a try. You're an inspiration to me.

GOOD LUCK, RUCHIE!!!! YAY!!!!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!
Love and (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review