All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Question about protien...
      #55121 - 03/28/04 10:53 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi everyone.
I have been only eating from the 'safe' list for about 2.5 weeks now. I feel a little better, I've only had D once...
The problem is, I get really tired/dizzy sometimes. And when I get up fast, I kinda blackout. I think that I really need protien, but I'm frightened to eat any meat. Is there any other way to get protien? I don't think there are protien supplements....are there? I know eggs have protien - but isn't it only in the yolk?

How long did everyone wait before expanding the foods in their diet? I'm just really scared too. I still get really nervous/anxious a lot!

Thanks,
Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about protien... new
      #55131 - 03/28/04 12:01 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

For me, I find chicken breasts and canned tuna don't bother me.

#55139 - 03/28/04 12:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can have chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, shrimp, soy hot dogs/burgers/etc., egg whites...just to name a few.

Maybe you should double check with your dr. just to be safe about the dizzy/blackout thing. I don't know if eating more protein could help that, but I'd rather you were safe than sorry, so talk to your doctor.

#55151 - 03/28/04 01:43 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I would definitely add some turkey or chicken breast back into your diet. Solid white tuna also works for me and egg whites are fine.

I have problems with feeling light-headed quite a bit and it seems to help to have protein throughout the day.

Good luck,
Leigh

#55332 - 03/29/04 06:47 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Hi Cara,
I get dizzy and light headed a lot, too. It definitely could be lack of protein, AND/OR lack of IRON as well. I have had a slight anemia for years now because I tend to not eat much foods that naturally have iron, like red meat, spinach, etc. ... You might want to check that out. I'm now taking a multi-vitamin to help give me more iron. (I couldn't even give blood, I had too low of iron!)
But yes, protein could be it as well (usually iron and protein are in some of the same foods). You should maybe try hard boiled eggs. They are so easy to make and SOOO good. I just eat the egg white part with salt. And yes, egg whites do have protein. Hope this helps!

Soy.... and that dizzy thing. new
      #55408 - 03/29/04 09:11 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Cara, your picture is great! Glad to see ya!

Soy is the only complete protein source outside of meat... So that's kinda cool. I would say if you haven't eaten soy much before, add it into your diet kind of slowly 'cause you need to get used to digesting it. (Some people can't tolerate it at all...) I use soy milk all the time and that's how I get my protein. I also use a soy-based protein powder that I get at the health food store (HFS) and toss into my smoothie. (You could add that to lots of other stuff, too, I just always have the smoothie so I get into a rut! I've considered adding it to pasta sauce, too, but haven't done so, yet.) Like everyone else mentioned, I eat white chicken meat, fish... I also love seafood (shrimp, scallops, etc...). I eat too much sushi, and get all kinds of variety there!

As for the light-headed dizzy bit... if you often get that from standing after sitting or lying down, you may have neurally mediated hypotension , which just means that your blood pressure drops if you've been sitting and then you get up, or if you're standing for too long. I got it a lot when I was younger, and again recently... I have always had low blood pressure in general, too, though don't know if that's related. It's strongly linked with chronic fatigue syndromem, which is strongly linked with IBS. (Note: not that all IBSers have CFS... many CFSers have IBS!) I also get the woozies after I've eaten a huge meal (the blood rushes to the tummy is MY theory...) Not sure what they treat it with, but I will say take it slow when you're getting up since you know it may happen. And watch with the standing, too... I have been known to almost fall out in lines at stores. (MORTIFYING!)

Now that I think about it, I haven't really had a huge problem with this since factoring in the protein powder.... so you may be on a good track!

Goodluck!

--------------------

Soy based protein powder...which one Jen? n-t new
      #55413 - 03/29/04 09:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I should get some kind of royalties for this stuff! new
      #55445 - 03/29/04 10:19 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I have recommended this so many times, they should sponsor me or something!

It's Naturade 100% Soy Protein Booster. I get it from the HFS, but I know that you can get it online, too...

How are you feeling, Ruchie??? I'm doing ok... not as tired this week (so far!).

--------------------

Re: Soy.... and that dizzy thing. new
      #55681 - 03/29/04 03:21 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Jen, you are so GOOD! I was just about to reply to Cara and say "neurally mediated hypotension" and then there it was, next to your smiling face!!

Cara,
Something that sounds silly but helps me is making sure I get enough salt. You know how people with high blood pressure have to restrict their salt intake? Well, low blood pressure runs in my family and we're all "salt monsters." We just gotta have it.

Just this morning I was a little dizzy, so I sat down and ate some pretzels and drank some pineapple juice and 15-30 minutes later I was MUCH better.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Soy.... and that dizzy thing. new
      #55714 - 03/29/04 05:13 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm going to try that protien powder I think. I'm a little nervous though because I did eat soy for the first time last week, and that's when I had D...so I don't know if there's a link there.

I am anemic too, I couldn't give blood either...but I never used to get dizzy EVERY time I stood up, so I know I'm missing something.

I've got a doctor's appointment tommorrow because my regular doctor doesn't even know I've been totally changing my diet and all. He might want to do a blood test or something.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Have a great night!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review