All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
drinks with meals
      #547 - 02/07/03 08:28 PM
GMumma

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

In Heather's book it says that drinking with meals can interfere with digestion. Can you give me some more details on this? Is it okay to drink after a meal? Should you not drink up to 1/2 hour before the meal? Some general guidelines would be extremely helpful.

--------------------
Gayle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: drinks with meals new
      #551 - 02/07/03 08:45 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Dear Gayle,

I can only speak for myself but in general I find the following:
1. I don't drink ice cold drinks on an empty stomach - it's a shock to the system
2. Rather than gulping down big glasses of water at any time I tend to constantly sip water(room temp) throughout the day so that I get my daily intake.
3. I think drinking before a meal is OK depending on what you are drinking. I usually drink my SF supplement before breakfast and dinner.

I'm not sure if you are asking about drinking water, soft drink, wine or seomething else but if it's wine or soft drink I would suggest drinking it with a meal that has a good soluble fiber base and not drinking too much. personally I can't tolerate anything to drink other than water and herbal teas and I find these are best for me anyway.

Hope this helps,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#553 - 02/07/03 08:48 PM
GMumma

I'm the same as you. I only drink water and herbal tea unless I'm in a daring mood and try some wine, but only at home. And I always have my citrucel before breakfast and dinner. I'm just curious why Heather says not to drink during a meal. Do you drink anything during your meals?

--------------------
Gayle

#554 - 02/07/03 08:52 PM
KinOz

I'm not sure - maybe Heather can explain more?
I do have both her books - whereabouts does she mention drinking with meals?
I might have a read to refresh my memory and see if I can respond better.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#558 - 02/07/03 10:23 PM
GMumma

It's in her Eating for IBS book. Under the chapter on Strategy, in the Tips, Tricks and helpful hints for eating and cooking section: Drink fresh water constantly through the day (not ice cold). Limit the amount of water or other fluids you drink with your meals, as this can inhibit digestion.

Thanks for trying to help.

--------------------
Gayle

#560 - 02/07/03 11:45 PM
KinOz

Thanks Gayle,

I would interpret that to mean not to overdo it as far as drinking with your meal. I'm sure sipping a small amount of fluids would be OK. (Heather please correct me if I'm wrong)
I usually make up my glass of benefiber before my meal, drink about 3/4 then sip the rest throughout the meal. About half an hour later I drink a cup of peppermint/fennel tea.

Kerrie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3169

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review