All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yogurt
      #53446 - 03/23/04 01:40 PM
glen downey

Reged: 03/22/04

There was a man interviewed on TV whom claims that he was diagnosed with IBS and was incapacitated with pain. Apparently he began eating fat free yogurt (several portions per day, and his symptoms went away.
Heather indicates in her book that dairy is a no, no. Is there an exception here someone can address?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yogurt new
      #53456 - 03/23/04 02:13 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Many people, myself included, can tolerate yogurt to a certain extent. The good brands of yogurt have active live cultures of bacteria, the GOOD bacteria, that our stomaches need. They break down the yogurt and make it easy to digest.

If you've been on antibiotics for a while, gone through a lot of stress, etc. you can cause the good bacteria to decrease in your tummy and the bad bacteria starts to take control. That causes a lot of the symptoms of IBS, like gas bloating, cramps, etc.

Yogurt is great to eat b/c it has the good bacteria in it that we need. You just have to make sure you get the kinds that have ACTIVE LIVE cultures. Eating the yogurt will help increase the good bacteria. Probiotics, pills of the good bacteria, are another way to get that good bacteria in your tummy. You have to be careful here too, that you get a good brand so that is actually has what you want.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

#53466 - 03/23/04 02:26 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Bethany is absolutely right about the live cultures in yogurt and that some people do okay with yogurt.

Others, however, have problems due to the whey and caisen in the yogurt. That's why soy yogurt is a safe alternative for these people. For more information about whey and caisen in yogurt, check out this post from Heather: web page

--------------------
- Jennifer

#53491 - 03/23/04 03:06 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Glen,
My suspicion is that the gentleman on tv probably made some other changes in his eating habits as well. Meaning if he was continuing to eat steaks and onion rings and hot fudge sundaes, just the yogurt probably wouldn't do away with his symptoms!!

On the other hand if he also started eating a healthier, low fat diet, gave up coffee and smoking, then the yogurt might have given him just the additional probiotic boost he needed.

Can't believe everything you see on tv!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#53496 - 03/23/04 03:13 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hmm, and then there's some of us who have also tried the soy yogurt and become VERY D from that, even tho we are normally C's . . . Any thoughts on what's up with that?

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

#53499 - 03/23/04 03:16 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

If you're not used to soy, it can certainly go right through you! Soy is one of those foods you have to build up to slowly.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#53501 - 03/23/04 03:20 PM
MKE32

I hear ya, but that's what confuses me: I've been using soy milk for years, on cereal in the a.m., and substituting for any recipes calling for regular milk. ??

--------------------

#53513 - 03/23/04 03:59 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

I hear ya, but that's what confuses me: I've been using soy milk for years, on cereal in the a.m., and substituting for any recipes calling for regular milk. ??

What was the brand of yogurt? Or more, what were the ingredients? Maybe there was some hidden trigger in there?

It is odd that you had such a reaction when you tolerate soy milk fine. Did you eat it on an empty stomach? Did you try it again to see if you had the same reaction 2x? Could you have had a stomach bug?

#53533 - 03/23/04 05:07 PM
MKE32

I can't remember the brand, but I did read thru the ingredients after reading another posting listing casein as a possible trigger, and it had none of that. I was afraid to try it again as it made me so sick. Did I have a stomach bug? I don't know, but I haven't touched the soy yogurt since, and have been feeling relatively ok, nothing like after I ate that. Weirdness . . .

--------------------

#53619 - 03/24/04 03:43 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yeah, weird. Maybe for some strange reason you can't tolerate it. I don't know that one...maybe Heather would have some insight?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review