All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Wow! new
      #53609 - 03/23/04 10:18 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok, I don't mean to sound dumb here, but is sugar considered to be a processed food? I totally agree with Dalia about trying to keep out the processed stuff and get back to the basics (and wish I was better at it) but I would have thought that plain sugar would be ok? I just try and avoid overly processed stuff or stuff with a lot of chemicals, but I'll put sugar or honey in my tea. Could this be causing additional problems? Is it better to cut out the sugar as well? It just seems with all the other things we avoid (fat, dairy, red meat, caffeine) cutting out sugar too would be pretty hard!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

they can be ordered online! Google 'em! -nt- new
      #53632 - 03/24/04 05:44 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Re: Splenda new
      #53645 - 03/24/04 06:29 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Hang in there with the chocolate cravings! I am personally going through the same thing right now. My period came, and OH MY! I WANT CHOCOLATE!

I have not had any so far. I made a sugar-free, gluten-free, chocolate-free, peanut free (darn diet!) batch of cookie bars, using carob as a replacement. It's certainly not the same but I close my eyes and say to myself "No stomach ache, no stomach ache!" and it did the trick.

But I sure would love some Godiva dark stuff!

Be strong! Hang in there!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Re: Does anyone else get these symptoms? new
      #53807 - 03/24/04 10:13 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Cara, GORGEOUS pic!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

treat my body like a temple - exactly!! -nt- new
      #53808 - 03/24/04 10:14 AM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Wow! new
      #53811 - 03/24/04 10:17 AM
LauraSue

no, sugar is not per se a processed food, and it is not an IBS trigger. However it IS "empty calories" and can contribute to weight gain, so some of us limit our intake for that reason, not for IBS reasons.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I love pretty close to you! new
      #53828 - 03/24/04 10:50 AM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

Cara, I live in Lincoln Park downtown. I am from the south, so Chicago is a defintely change for me, but I like it. I work downtown and never get in the car, and that is so nice. Once I moved to Chicago and stopped driving my panic attacks diminished alot (that was also when we closed on our house, I began the new job, and just got married). But I really think that traffic can stress people out, and when other things add to that it can make you go crazy!

I wish you the best....the thing that is most important is taking time for YOU!!! Ask your husband to help you, my husband helps me. He thought it was weird at first, but now he understands that there is something inside of me that can take over and it is no longer me in control, but this weird force inside.

Good luck!

Re: Wow! and sugar and ibs new
      #53937 - 03/24/04 03:29 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

hey there
sugar is indeed not exactly a processed food...if someone is asking me if they should drink a diet coke or a real coke I will always say real, because those sweeteners are terrible.
However, the whole problem with IBS is that although there are major foods that are triggers for everyone (red meat, dairy etc) when you get down to the fine lines, things start to differ from one individual to the next. And this is where experimentation comes into play.
Sugar IS a trigger for gas and constipation for me (I never get ibs d....its been ages...and in my nine years of ibs I have had it about 6 times!!).
And aside from that I believe that ibs is a problem which is often associated with other symptoms like low blood sugar, and other subtleties. So I try to keep my stomach digesting things that aren't going to give my blood sugar a huge hit, ie rice as opposed to chocolate. Its all to do with the glycaeminc index of food.
The final aspect is health. I try to take the best care of myself that I can. Sugar is an immune system suppresant and since I gave it up, the difference in how I feel energy wise is quite amazing!
XXXX Dalia

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Re: Wow! and sugar and ibs new
      #53940 - 03/24/04 03:39 PM
LauraSue

Well said, Dalia -- and I love your quote!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Hi, Cara. new
      #54627 - 03/26/04 10:39 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

What I do have, though, is "episodes." That's what my doctor calls them! He and I are friends and he had been having a hard time grasping what was going on with me 'til last July when we were at a party together. I know now that I was too tired, got too hot, and had eaten too many fatty foods (didn't know about that stuff at the time!), and I got really dizzy, very disoriented, very nauseous, very cold-sweaty. He made me lie down (everyone thought I was trashed, but I hadn't had a lick!) and checked my blood pressure, heart rate, etc... Within a half an hour I was running to the bathroom with D. I was sick for a week. Now I know that when I get that woozy, disoriented, nauseous, cold-sweaty feeling, I need to take my meds and get to bed, ASAP! (I also stay out of over-heated situations. That's a huge trigger for me. But that's neither here nor there, is it...?)

Ooh, ooh, me too! I used to have horrid nauseous swooning feelings on nearly every warmish day (and I've lived in the US Midwest for nearly all my life so this was not infrequent). And yeah, there was D too, although being mainly C, I sometimes saw this as a benefit. In grad school (when I lived in an un-airconditioned apartment), my summer "episodes" got bad enough that I was staying home and in bed for several days each summer month.

I ended up seeing several different docs at the school clinic, and one asked me right away whether I was restricting my salt intake. I said I was - ya know, trying to be healthy and all - and he said to stop it. Turns out that drinking more and more water was just making me feel sicker, when I really needed to get some salt in me.

Now, I go straight for the Gatorade when I start feeling woozy when it's warm, and try to get some salty stuff in my diet like pretzels and pickles. Don't know if it will work for anyone else, but it's been a miracle cure for me. Nothing like a medicinal bag of BBQ potato chips (baked, of course) to perk up your day!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review